Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 04-23-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
In our continuing quest to bring our players the best possible experience, has upgraded the infrastructure for all our games (, , and ) as well as moved all other services (email, website, web-based building tools, etc) to a separate server of its own to diminish the chances of a security breach or a rogue process bringing a game server down. All four servers are now running Xeon processors between 2.8 and 3.2 ghz with 1-2 gigs of RAM, dual 73 gig SCSI drives using RAID1 and dual hot-swappable power supplies, and all are connected to our new Watchguard Firebox firewall.

We also decided that in the interests of reducing risk to decrease downtime in case of emergency for our users, we needed to relocate our servers to a more local area. So, they're now in Above.net's world-class facility in San Jose, California, along with Google and Sun Microsystems. Walking in and seeing that the lobby has bulletproof glass fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

As some of you might have read in this , Achaea had a hardware failure in early March that resulted in five days of 'Anarchaea'. Our fault for not running data mirroring, like RAID1. We're determined that our users will never have to suffer that kind of problem again, and we hope that the ~$15,000 we've spent on new hardware and moving to our new facility will help reassure that we are absolutely, completely committed to providing the finest mudding experiences available. Downtime of any kind disrupts the flow of a mud, and barring a direct nuclear attack on San Jose, what we saw happen a month and a half ago should never happen again.

And to any of our players reading this, I want to thank you once again for the incredible loyalty you showed us during Anarchaea. You rock.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
erdos

And to anyone else in the entire bloody world, you just wasted your precious time reading a shameless advertisement for three muds not worth the hard drives they take up.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Awwh *tickle* Someone is so grumpy!

Cheer up dude, you can now go back to reading advertisements for intermud communication networks, coders, and builders instead!

--matt
P.S. My smooth, buttery loins ache for you.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #4
wolfpaw

wolfpaw is on a distinguished road
wolfpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:14 AM   #5
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
I'll agree with WP. While I don't care for any of the IRE muds, I give you guys props for taking a nightmare situation and turning it into stout stability for your muds.

*thinks about trying Aetolia again*
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote