Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #21
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #22
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #23
Kallekins

Kallekins is on a distinguished road
The mud I play has a random roll at character creation for an attractiveness string. It's a pretty cool little string, changing by the race, sex and sobriety of the person looking at you, but most people pay more attention to the description than this string though.
My character is 'hideous.' At least to other female humans. To a completely wasted male human, I believe she is merely ugly. The problem is, I planned out her RP expecting to look rather normal, before I found out she is hideous, and her personality really wouldn't work well. So the desc I wrote is pretty neutral, but doesn't have the grotesque flaws you'd expect from someone that ugly. And most people think she's cute, because of her personality. Well, except those enemies who've learned she's quite hideous inside too.
Anyway, generally I like to decide on my own how my character will react to someone, and if she thinks they're attractive or not. Sometimes it'll be certain things that I've decided my character likes (bigger, more rugged men, some scars, etc), or sometimes I'll find them attractive if I think the desc is especially well-written. Often if a male has too attractive a desc, I'll call him a pretty boy, or too elven looking. Some get called 'cute but boring.' Sometimes I'll be attracted to somebody grotesquely ugly, just for fun. And I like to annoy the too pretty females, especially elves, by calling them too skinny and flat-chested.
Kallekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #24
Yev

I think a lot of the attraction, like Greenstorm said a page or so ago, it has to do with how the character is played. It also, for me, has to do with the maturity of the player as well.

If the character is played like a character and seems to have a personality and everything, I'll treat the situation with a lot more respect than if the character is meant to come off as Miss Perfect Couldn't do Anything Wrong.

I wish I could define it more than that, but it just has to do with this warm feeling I get. Do I get the warm feeling RPing with the character or not?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #25
Greenstorm

Greenstorm is on a distinguished road
It's interesting you say that, Yev. Recently on Chia we've had a sudden surge of middling-average people (in the shadow district, where there's lots of disease and no health care and lots of malnutrition) which is really realistic.

We're also got a bit of a glot on both ends of the spectrum-- people competing to make the prettiest chars, and now I think people competing to make the ugliest chars. I'm not sure if this is a reaction (if making the prettiest char is bad, making the ugliest char must be best) or just fun.

IMO, a good roleplayer will read the desc and respond to the physical depiction of the char until they get to know the char, so personality isn't an issue for awhile, but it's hard to pull off. RL, I know I sometimes respond pretty randomly to conventionally pretty or conventionally ugly people.

Hm, I guess RL things like hygene and socially acceptable behaviour do go a lot further towards effecting my response than anything, with attractiveness adding a little interest but not substantially changing what I do.
Greenstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #26
Yev

I think part of the thing with descriptions is that if no one says the character is ugly, especially when it comes to females, a guy naturally assumes she's hot.

Poor roleplaying? Perhaps. Taking the fact that most female characters do like to be considered hot though, it's not such a bad deal.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #27
Greenstorm

Greenstorm is on a distinguished road
Greenstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #28
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
I think the whole thing with others basing uglyness only on their personallity is mostly because they don't actually see the char and the descirptions are usually just words and often ignored by some people. So, many people will ignore physical beauty much more then they actually would in RL. I consider this to not be very good roleplaying, but it isn't entirely their fault, after all, if everybody around you was gorgeous, it starts to lose the effect.

As for playing "pretty chars", I like to play as goblin and orcs, so yes I do play some buff, muscled up chars sometimes, but they still wouldn't be considered "pretty" at all by most people.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 AM   #29
Serpentia

Serpentia is on a distinguished road
Wow, been a long time since I have commented on these boards. But I dropped by to vote and saw this thread and couldn't really pass it up.

I've mainly played ordinary looking characters, like those run-of-the-kill mousy high school geeks no one ever talks to. The character I play now, I have chosen to be ugly as I possibly can make believeable without causing myself too many problems. I have roleplayed it enough that others agree with me at times and that it is mostly well-known this is one ugly little woman (a demonic drow creature). I thought everything would be nice and neat and no one would bother me. Not. Ugly character does not equal people not hitting on you. I've had about a dozen different people or so hit on my character in the three years or so I've played her. She's all marred up, is rather beastly, eats elves uncooked, never washes the blood off of her armor (leaving the only cleaning to the rain), and is generally rotten, etc. Yet people still hit on her, and it drives me insane some days. It can be really amusing some times though when you tell someone how ugly your character is and they keep hitting on it anyways. And it is nice that when you tell someone you're not into that stuff or they are not going to have any chance, that the majority of them leave you alone. I actually enjoy playing an ugly character and it sickens me to see people playing into the cookie-cutter supermodel beautiful characters in such a large number.
Serpentia is offline   Reply With Quote

I'm So Pretty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pretty Folks Sapphar Roleplaying and Storytelling 22 07-27-2002 01:49 AM