Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 12-04-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I can help!  Mud Mall Fantasy Gallery offers a free banner rotation service that doesn't require you to provide a reciprocal link.  With an average of around 400 banner impressions per month for each account over the last 12 months, its not a huge amount of promotion, but doesn't every little bit help?  All accounts have access to detailed statistics to monitor how well your banner is performing and you can change your banner at any time.

What's in it for me you say?  Well the theory is you will send more people to my site so more people will see your banner, that way we both gain increased visitors to our sites.

To start your own free banner account, click on the link below.  What have you got to lose?
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 AM   #2
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
*sighs*

I really hate to say this, because it's obvious you put a lot of work and love into the gallery, and you show more courtsesy to the artists than most similar places.

However, it's still not the right way to go about running an online gallery. It is not the artists' responsibility to go looking for places that use their images and then granting or denying permission. That responsibility is on you - you don't have the right to put those pictures up until you actively seek and receive the author's (or rather, copyright holder's) permission to do so.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
Jaewyn

So is that to say I can't post an image if I don't know who the artist is? I have tried to track down the unknown authors many times but with limited success. It seems there are a lot of images out there where the artist is not identified. As you say, I try to give the artists credit where I can.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:03 AM   #4
Angie

That's right. As a matter of fact, even just crediting the artist isn't enough (although it is better than giving no credit at all). Copyright is the right to make copies - and you don't have that right unless you get permission from the copyright holder.

Some artists will grant permission freely if it's for non-commercial purposes and you give them credit and/or display a link to their page. They often state so on their webpage - in that case, you don't need to contact them.

Other artists will grant permission on individual level. If you email them and explain the purpose of your gallery, you can agree on the terms under which you can use the image. Most often, the conditions will be the same as above, providing credit and linking back to their page. You do need to contact them, though.

Sometimes, artists will not give permission for particular images. This can be for various reasons - maybe they are not the copyright holder (often the case with card game art), maybe it was a commissioned RP portrait and they agreed with their client not to distribute the image freely, maybe they are limited by a publishing contract for a certain period of time (for book covers and similar).

And finally, some artists will not give permission at all. They may be worried about bad quality copies of their artwork floating around, they may have other reasons, but whatever their reason, they do have the right to deny permission, and their decision should be respected.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Angie

Old 12-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Jaewyn

Thumbs up

Old 12-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Angie

I feel a bit uninspired right now, but I'll link to here from the other thread.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
If anyone's interested in an example of what she's talking about:

Look at the Artisanal archives for the visual art. Unfortunately our archives only go back to January of last year cause we lost everything previous during our Times of Trouble last spring.

None of the art is Boris Vallejo-quality, of course, but I'm pretty pleased with the skill level of some people. For instance, this won last month's contest (and about $200 worth of stuff):

Anyway, a well-run central fanart gallery for muds would, I think, be pretty cool, though as you point out, running a good art gallery online is a lot of work. I think it's also important to ensure that all artwork on the site is non-infringing.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 AM   #9
Angie

Phew, back after recharging a bit of energy...

The Art of Mud sounds a bit descriptive... I'd go with something more poetic or with some sort of pun. You could even keep your current name (less hassle with changing domain name etc.).

It is quite a bit of work, but a gallery like this could be easily run with the help of a couple of volunteer editors. I'd be willing to help out with beta testing or even as an editor.

Easiest way to do this is giving visitors the option to report plagiarized work, and making it clear in the rules that members who post work that is not theirs will have their accounts discontinued. In a relatively close community, which this would be, peer pressure goes a long way, and making people understand that by posting stolen work they are tarnishing their mud's reputation might help too.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
the_logos
Legend

If someone else organizes putting it together to the point where it looks nice and is functional (ie able to submit without human intervention, organized by mud, etc), and is kept free of infringing work, I'll be happy to kick in $25/month for hosting and bandwidth costs.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

Nobody else would be willing to help with this?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:23 AM   #12
Jaewyn

Trying to promote your MUD? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racewar Keeps - PK Promote Hephos Advertising for Players 0 10-13-2003 08:29 AM