Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Elvarlyn

Elvarlyn is on a distinguished road
Lithmeria - Builders Wanted

Last edited by Elvarlyn : 08-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Elvarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Elvarlyn

Re: Lithmeria - Builders Wanted

Lithmeria is still very much on the lookout for people with the patience and creativity to contribute to building.

We believe that our online building client is literally second to none, incorporating all the features listed in the post below and several more. I should also note that the average time it takes to have a completely new feature added to the building code seems to be about 20 minutes from when you first bring it up with Selkrener (our head coder) to when you can start playing with it.

To apply to become a builder, create a forum account and send a forum message to adding a few rooms/mobs/items you've described. If you've never built before, that's ok, send us any small sample of your writing (even something you write just for the application) and in no time you'll be designing rooms left right and center!

To rehash the currently available features:While I've (hopefully) got your attention, if anyone thinks of any other 'dream' features they've always wanted in a MUD building toolkit, please do post and let us know!

- Elvarlyn
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Elvarlyn

Hi everyone!

To show off just how easy and fun Lithmeria's building system really is, I'll be posting a number of Youtube videos, each focusing on a different aspect of the building interface.

The first episode covers room building.

As always we encourage all feedback, comments and suggestions (even if they're only making fun of my goofy Australian accent) at our forums (link in signature) and invite anyone who wants to find out more about the Lore and mechanics behind Lithmeria to browse through the .
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
tommi

tommi is on a distinguished road

I watched your demonstration video, you did a great job at showing off a lot of the features of your olc with regards to rooms, tools like this would certainly help a new builder come to terms with the basic concepts of building, i wish someone had thought of doing this when i first started out, it would have made my progress much speedier. Good job over all, +100%.

Oh and is that an Aussie accent i can here.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Elvarlyn

Link to video:

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

I know for me, starting out it was a huge help. I got made a builder, got a 15 minute tutorial and within the hour, I'd placed down all the rooms for hunting area and begun work on describing them. I'm an especially big fan of the ambiance system and was one of those freaks that sat there writing 3-4 unique ambiance messages for every single room.

Yes... mate!

Last edited by Elvarlyn : 11-18-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Elvarlyn

Links to videos:

Another video has now been posted on YouTube! This one (in two parts) covers the basics of creating mobiles and giving them cool AI's that teach them how to beat up unwary players! Hope they are entertaining as well as informative!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Elvarlyn

Hi all!

Work on building is coming along at a bristling pace, with entire areas being fully described every couple of days. This means that there are entire zones awaiting mobiles (creatures) of every kind of fill them! In order to meet this demand, we'd like to open recruitment to builders who want to help populate the world of Lithmeria with beasts of their own creation.

Who might this be right for?
- If you're someone who is interested in building but put off by the notion of describing hundreds of often near identical rooms, this is for you!
- If you're interested in building but would prefer to flesh out the concepts of others than come up with entire new zones, this is for you!

What's actually involved, bub?
You would choose one of the many fully described areas and read its lore file. Then, after a wander about to get a feel for the zone and the kind of rooms it has, you could just straight into building creatures for it.

I bet building monsters is really hard and requires lots of coding background, right?
In most other MUDs, sure! In Lithmeria, not even a little. These narrated videos explain why building monsters is as easy as pointing and clicking:
-
-

Do I have to have extensive building experience?
Though experienced builders are always welcome, we do not require that you have prior building experience to build for Lithmeria. Our building software is simple and accessible enough that anyone can do it. We do require that your English be of a reasonable standard and that you're dedicated and hard working when you can spare the time to be!

You never mentioned how to apply, doofus!
True.

To try your hand with us, send "Cally" a private message on our with a sample monster or three. They can be anything you like as long as you include:

- Room Description
- Long Description
- Dead Description
- Long Dead Description
- Enter Message
- Exit Message

A very simple sample macaw is presented below (caw!):
Room Desc: A crimson macaw is perched here, larger than life.
Long Desc: Feathers a violent shade of crimson, this giant macaw stands out against the canopy. A hooked grey beak looks big enough to slice a limb clean off, whilst oddly dainty claws secure the bird to the canopy. The bright plumage is entirely red, except for a small patch of green on the tips of the wings. The bird is plump and healthy, not a feather out of place.
Dead Desc: A ball of bloody feathers, a $h giant macaw lays here.
Long Dead Desc: Feathers torn and plumage plundered, this once majestic macaw has been cruelly cut down by a foul assailant. Blood oozes from numerous wounds, already congealing.
Enter Msg: Flapping vigorously, a crimson macaw enters from the $d.
Exit Msg: Squawking incoherently, a massive macaw flaps to the $d.