Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 11-07-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
Jaenelle

Jaenelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jaenelle
Question

In an attempt to get people here talking about something other than legal things, what do people look for in muds? Enforced roleplaying? Optional roleplaying? Freedom? hack and slash? Big muds? Small muds? among other things. ;) *Without naming any muds*, what things to you make a good mud?

I like muds with lots of players and no enforced roleplaying. I want a mud that is up 99% of the time. To me a mud needs to have lots of communication channels since I tend to use muds as large chat rooms without quite so many 'a/s/l' type peoples and a common interest. Mud needs to have staff that enforce rules fairly and don't play favourites. There also need to be zones to explore, I don't care if some of them are stock as long as most of them are original. Oh, and there needs to be lots of colours that I can customize for various things. ;) Cause colours rox!

-Jaenelle
Jaenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Favonius

Favonius is on a distinguished road
I really like MUDs that have a neatly organized output and aren't just a jumble of single colored text
Favonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Mandatory RP that is enforced not only by the imms but by the playerbase. Permanent death, because that changes everything, and keeps the game from stagnating. No numbers, not for your levels or skill levels, none of that. A dynamic world with tensions and reasons for conflicts and events. An original plotline.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
RP mandatory. As few OOC channels as possible, preferably no "channels" for any OOC at all, though the "ooc command" is useful for noobs so I like that.

No colors! Blech that's the last thing I like - blinding purples and greens and pinks..I like a game that will let you use your mud client to decide if you want color or not, that doesn't stick you with them.

A game where the players create, run, move along, and determine the outcome of plotlines, with the staff intervening only when you need something that only the staff can do. Like animating NPCs or creating objects that the code doesn't allow players to create.

A game where the staff listens to its players, and implements ideas, but who won't lower their standards or change the "objective" of the game just to placate a few loud voices complaining about something.

Free is important, though if I could afford it, I would have no objection to paying for what I wanted in a hobby.

RP Mandatory.

RP intensive

As few numbers as possible, but still allowing for coded skills that can improve.

"realistic" fantasy setting, meaning, no cartoon characters, no fluffy snuggle-bunny stuff, no rules requiring "permission" to kill another PC, but requiring instead that PKing have *reasonable* justification and be roleplayed. No anime, no graphics.

RP Mandatory.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
Ike

Ike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ike
Smile

Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Enough room for players to actually shape the game. Not change the theme or anything major like that, but if a city is roleplayed as being taken over, then.....the city should be taken over. Governments should fall, things should CHANGE along with the roleplay. I've played too many MUD's that restrict this, you can only do what THEY say you can do.

Actual punishments for the people who are caught cheating and ruining the game for everyone else.

Immortals that actually roleplay and interact with mortals. Too often (this is actually the same MUD from before), the immortals will sit on their high horses with absolutely no knowledge of what's going on in-game.

Consistent code and area changes to keep things interesting.

The potential for players to create their own material in the game. Player created organizations, cults, etc. But limited so that they fit with the theme of the game.

Immortals who listen to complaints.

COMPLETELY Newbie friendly, yet still challenging for the experienced players.

RP mandatory.

I don't like huge playerbases, I would say 50 average. It allows you to still be intimate with the players, and gives you plenty of opportunity to meet new ones.

Helpful Immortals.

I hate too much color, I've played on MUD's that have bright pink blinking mobs (eew).

Um, I'll think of more later.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:38 PM   #8
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Interestingly coded systems, be they magic, combat, or crafting. I want to feel that there are things behind the walls that I can learn and affect me (not syntax or basic use, but unexpected quirks or "physical laws" if you will that would make sense).

A world I can feel myself in. There should be room for the imagination of the player to kick in, but enough consistancy and depth in theme, background, and physical rooms/areas that it makes sense, so that I'm not looking at symbols on a screen, I'm looking at a castle, with some history behind it whether I know it or not.

Good RP in the players is nice, but over all, friendlyness from both the IMMs and players. I can actually enjoy a good H&S as long as I'm not scowled at every time I ask a question or make a little joke.

The feedback from the players should be listened to, and good ideas that fit the theme should be considered, naturally and with little fuss.

Finally, good help files! The completeness and informativeness of the help system often reflects how much effort the IMMs take to make the game playable, in my experience.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 AM   #9
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
Here's a run down of things I look for:
RP Enforced (RPI)
Unique Combat (kill bear, go get sandwich = bad)
Unique Skills
Restricted PK (you have to PK for a reason, not EQ)
Friendly people (both admins and players)

And most of all...
RPXP

Becaues a mud isn't really Role Play enforced if you go out of character and kill bunnies or orcs or whatever, and that's rpetty boring too.
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:55 AM   #10
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I look for humour; in the zones, in the Staff and among the players.

People without humour are dangerous - and boring.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
Ciaran

Ciaran is on a distinguished road
What do I look for in a MUD....

1. Lots of help files
2. Large player base
3. No roleplay enforcement
4. Diversified channels for communicating
5. Color so I can customize what I see
6. Large playing area, so that it is not crowded
7. Largely self sufficient players
8. An honest and involved immortal staff
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:38 AM   #12
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
Oh, here's something i forgot

Perm death... falls under RP that makes sense

I've never really understood hack and slash... i mean, why not go play FFXI to fill that need, or Diablo 2?
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:11 AM   #13
Kallekins

Kallekins is on a distinguished road
*RP enforced with a sophisticated level of RP
*lots of interesting things to do when there aren't people around to RP with
      -combat that requires skill and thought from the player
      -quests, especially those that can be finished in different ways
      -other non-combat activities: trading, crafting, fishing, etc.
*a small to medium sized world (in room count) but with depth. I want to find more the more I look.
* an interactive world
      -NPCs that answer keyword questions, respond to actions, treat PCs differently if they've attacked them.
      -the ability to manipulate the world in small ways. I want buttons to push, levers to pull, holes to dig, fires to set. Not just emotes, but commands in rooms to do things.
*a cohesive world where all the areas, races, guilds are part of a unifying vision, not just a hodgepodge.

I'm not too picky.
Kallekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:18 PM   #14
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
If I go looking for a MU* to play, I generally look for a few things.

First of all, I try and see if they have any RP logs so that I can check out what sort of RP they have. If they don't have any, I get a bit uneasy - especially if they've been around for a long time.

Second, I look for RP intensive MU*es. Sure, hack'n'slash is nice in small amounts - but I've matured now; I don't want to be going around and trying to level as fast as possible or trying to get this or that before someone else does, all the time; I want role-playing, not roll-playing - I don't want to be somewhere that's more focused on skills and fluff and mobs than RP. And y'know - that's a lot of the reason why I left DR; they don't role-play there.

Third, I want helpful staff and players, as well as help-files galore. If I run into a problem, I want help figuring out how to solve it; I don't want to be told "Well, what do you want me to do abut it? It's your fault it did <such and such> instead of <this and that> not mine." I really don't want to be told that and I don't want to be ignored to muddle my way through chargen. At the same time, however, I don't want to be treated like I have no brains or common-sense and I don't want to be overwhelmed either.

Fourth, I want to know that there's at least ten people online asides from at really low-end times when most people go and sleep. If your MU* can't field that many, then I'll start to think If they can't get even ten people interested in being online at one time, then why the #### should I play there? Obviously their own players don't have much interest in the game... and once that's thought, I generally leave and don't come back.

Fifth, I want a few OOC channels. Not too many, obviously - I'm more interested in RP than chatting - but I want the option open to talk to people in my org or race. I want to be able to chat with other players without having to be in the same room; I want to be able to joke around. More importantly, I want to be able to ask questions about the theme OOC'ly when it's something that my char would already IC'ly know.

Sixth, I don't want to be forced to use ANSI on a MU* or forced not to use it. I want the option to use it if I want to. And if I choose to use it, I don't want you to try and blind me either.

Seventh, I don't want to see 'leet speak' or chatspeak languages used asides from in jest. I really, really don't. If I get the feeling that people use AOLspak routinely on a MU*, I'm not just going to leave - I'm leaving burned rubber behind me and I'm removing any way for me to get to that MU* from my client.
Why yes, I do feel strongly about the use of proper English...

8th (I couldn't manage to spell the word properly, so I spared you all the horror of my mangling it), I want the MU* to stick to their stated theme. If they've said that they're a Star Wars MU*, I don't want to see Klingons running around. Same goes for Star Trek MU* - I don't want to see Hutts or Twi'leks anywhere. And if you're a Pokemon MU*, I really don't want to see Gohan or someone else from DBZ trying to find the Dragon Balls or attempting to save the world. Nor do I want to see Team Rocket stealing stuff should I (heaven forbid) go to a DBZ MU*. Pick a theme; stick to it.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. If I come up with something else that I haven't put down already, I'll probably add it.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote