Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 11-24-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Ages of Despair has an interesting one, or maybe had.. Currently the guild is suspended, pending some adjustments to balance it. Originally it was two guild that got crammed together into one in the development stages, so it ended up a tad over powered. In any case, the magic system for Woodland is based one elements, which shift through use. The entire guild has to work cooperatively to keep the elements in balance (by avoiding over-use of say fire spells), it is actually possible to depleat one element to the point where spells using it have little or no effect. Spells themselves are not automatically gained either, they must be found, and as I understand it there are different 'paths' you can follow, each with unique sets of spells, so you can't ever aquire the entire list of possible spells. There are quite a few people desperately waiting for when this guild reopens.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Like I said, I'm not looking for a mud to permanently play. I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted people to be able to really promote theirs as well as discuss, as I am currently visiting quite a few in search of inspiration for my novel, and eventually, a game based on that setting.

Armageddon definately has an interesting setting. I've been tempted to apply there, but I don't play often enough to feel I could really get into it.

I like the idea of making magic depletable/dependent on how much people use it, like shadowfyr's input suggested. If anyone remembers Ravagers from the Dark Sun campaigns, damage and other effects on the world when you use magic is also something I've thought about.

Another thing that has caught my interest, is making new students of magic capable of grasping more than they can handle, up to and including risk of death. After all, there's nothing stopping you IRL from driving without knowing how to drive. I can think of some interesting situations that could occur should a spell go overboard; create rose might start a nearly impenetrable rosebush barrier, with you at the center. Or you might just explode from a massive electrical discharge if you don't know how to handle the energies of the storm you're calling.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Unfortunately, much of the magick system in Armageddon is "In-character Info" and we'd get bludgeoned to death if we posted anything too specific here.

I'll say though, that there definitely are consequences to spellcasting in Arm, up to and including overload and backfire, which can result in permanent death of the character. I actually heard about one mage who was going about his business and spontaneously acquired a new spell on his spell list - which some how or another casted itself without any prompting from the mage. He ended up transported to nowhere, and disappeared from the face of the earth forever. I have no idea if that's what really happened, but if it did, it's a pretty danged awesome drawback, heh.

I'll add another point, regarding a pay-to-play I used to play. GemstoneIII's magick system has an interesting drawback to using magick. If you have less than the amount of mana necessary to cast, and cast anyway, it results in damage in the form of scars (if I remember right) that prevent you from casting anything until you are sufficiently healed.

Think of it as a quirky coded version of a migraine headache.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote

Innovative Magic Systems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accursed Lands - free, volunteer run, innovative snoozer Advertising for Players 0 03-20-2007 03:53 PM
More Subtle Magic NotL337 Advanced MUD Concepts 9 07-30-2006 01:59 AM
Seeking an Innovative MUD Slanted Advertising for Players 0 04-27-2004 08:41 AM
Innovative MU* thelenian Advanced MUD Concepts 6 08-05-2002 02:12 PM
random magic Burr Advanced MUD Concepts 0 06-14-2002 02:09 PM