Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
NipsMcGee

NipsMcGee is on a distinguished road
Anyone interested in a pathfinder/Golarion mud?

Hello there, I'm posting on behalf of a small team already working on the pre-dev stages of a MUD project, and my purpose here is this:

Firstly, to get all of you to continue reading the entirety of this post. Just because this is a startup project doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. Yes, statistically most of the MUD projects that start, simply fail, for a plethora of reasons. But if we get solid additions to our already solid 3 person team, that's a good start!

Secondly, I'm here to gauge interest regarding our dream of a pathfinder/Golarion themed MUD. Codebase doesn't matter to us, but we have been fiddling with a coffeemud server for a little bit, just to see how things feel. We're Mainly looking for one or two coders that preferably know and like the pathfinder campaign setting and the world of Golarion. Knowing/liking the setting/world isn't a must, but obviously it would help keep you interested.

Builder positions are also available, but having a coder or two to lay down the basis and tweak some things first would be good. I'd honestly rather start the project with a solid, diverse team with everyone on the same page, but as far as that goes, I don't need to dream in one hand and crap in the other to know which would fill up first.

Ideally, the MUD will be RP encouraged, but not enforced. Lots of races and classes to choose from, with optional multiclassing. Needing lots of features coded into the races and classes, so that'd be one of the first code projects. Other than that, projects would likely depend on the codebase we decide on.

So, if you're interested at all in Pathfinder and the world of Golarion coming to life in MUD form, please hit me up. Either here in this thread, or a PM, or an email at: rndrhl(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

Also, no need for responses asking/telling me to check with the creators before I use the material, yada yada.. It's all open game content, and the MUD will obviously be free of charge. No money involved whatsoever, so dont worry, no toes are going to be stepped on.

Thanks in advance!
NipsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven
Re: Anyone interested in a pathfinder/Golarion mud?

I'm fond of this post, because it is very optimistic.

I'm afraid I don't have enough time in the day to devote all the effort I'd love to devote to my MUD at the moment, let alone to start another. But keep on believing! If I hear of anyone looking, I'll shoot them your way.

This is all sounds super cool (multi-classing alights a sort of glee in me), but I'm not sure how I feel about the term "RP not enforced"--not because I believe in being forceful or pushy, but mostly because I can't fathom a text-based game where roleplay isn't expected and, to some extent, enforced. Not enforcing roleplay makes me think of chatrooms.

I hope you have the best of luck with all that you're looking for!
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
NipsMcGee

NipsMcGee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, Raven. The main reason I stated RP encouraged, not enforced, is to avoid scaring away potential coders/builders because of RP. We'd like for the MUD to cater to those who do RP (the three of us are avid RPers, whether its tabletop, mud, play by post, etc) By giving out various rewards for RP using automated and/or manual systems.

We too are of the mind that if you want to game in a fantasy setting, text based mediums are naturally tailored to roleplay, while MMO's and other graphical mediums are more geared toward hack and slash, simply due to the mechanics of each. Not saying you can't RP in a graphical game or avoid it in a text based game, but it's simply easier to RP in text, and hack n' slash through graphics based games.

That being said, I don't know of any other MUDs out there with Pathfinder as a basis. So in an effort to avoid dissuading potential players, I didn't want to completely close the door to Pathfinder fans that were either new to mudding/RP or just wanting to check things out without too much investment.

So while we'd love to have a MUD where everyone is RPing 24/7, we wanted to leave it open to all, while at the very least, rewarding players that do RP, and invest that extra time and effort into their characters.
NipsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road

This is true, however Paizo do have a generous which should allow you to make a non-commercial MUD based on the Pathfinder campaign setting. However, they do have a Pathfinder MMO in development so could be twitchy about any similar projects. If it was me I'd probably want to check with them first.

I looked at doing a Pathfinder themed game but the setting really didn't grab me. Good luck with your project.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote