Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road
Re: LFM: not-so-stressful RPI

You sound like you need to play Armageddon.

Experienced players there actually go out of their way to -not- kill other players, especially those who are obviously newbies. What's the fun of killing off your antagonists? For instance- I just recently killed a player in game, my first in about two real life years, and unfortunately due to my characters race/IC circumstance it was necessary. In those same two years I have had many, many IC conflicts, combat with other players, political manuevering, and of course some panicked fleeing and everything in between. But the far and beyond majority of conflict did not end in death of characters. My characters have also labored next to others, protected others, and spent time and effort to keep their friends alive.

It's not stressful- you can play a long, easy life if you make a guardsman in some noble house with free food and water. I at the moment tend to play peripheral flavor characters- the ones who live in the fringes and show up for interactions when the other PC's wander to their edge of existence, and that requires a lot less play-time. The game is intensive, though, so you may find yourself falling into a really passionate place about your character and their story: that's quite normal.

Armageddon does have strict social structure, however, and open rebellion often leads to swift action, so one word of caution: if you like playing a back-talking, sarcastic hero type, you'd better a) buy, steal or manuever yourself into a position of power before you do, or b) do so in a lawless place, with people who aren't going to sell you out, etc. I've seen nobles get blown up before by nasty assassins, ancient and powerful mages be taken down by coordinated groups of soldiers, I've seen bright and hardy soldiers taken out by a tribal's arrow from afar: the mighty can always topple in Armageddon, but nothing but the sand and sun come easy.

Give it a try.
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

He said he wants something non-stressful. Armageddon is a very stressful game. That's actually a huge part of its charm.

He also said he wants something newbie friendly. Armageddon is one of the least newbie friendly games out there, and again that is part of its charm. Strict character application processes, brutal and harsh hierarchies, and permadeath are not hallmarks of newbie friendliness.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road

Like both I and Jazuela mentioned, Armageddon is not 'stressful'. People may become quite involved in their characters, and obviously there is always a danger of losing them, but it is well possible to play Armageddon at a casual level and outside of constant danger to your PC.

Yes, the learning curve is steep, the social structures in game are rigid and harsh, but don't mistake that for a lack of newbie friendliness. A ton of world documentation exists, there is a robust helper system on the OOC forums, and most players in game can recognize newbies and are pro-active in helping them.

He wants a game in which he can get involved from the get go, and not be left behind because of levels or friend groups: Armageddon.

He wants a game in which combat is realistic, without stopping to eat heals and steaks while you're swinging a sword: Armageddon.

It's most certainly worth a try, since he's obviously gone through a lot of muds already.
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I think you guys are too close to the subject matter.

Permadeath itself is very stressful. Games with an extremely strong and harsh hierarchy (especially when you can literally lose your character - forever - for going against it) are even more stressful. A near total lack of ways to communicate OOC is stressful. You're calling it not stressful because you're completely numb to these things and accept them. But to most people, these are all very stressful things.

That's not a bad thing. That's part of what makes Arm different.

I wasn't being critical, but you are describing a game that is not newbie friendly.

Documentation and newbie helpers are awesome, but they don't automatically make a game newbie friendly - especially when there are tremendously massive and core elements of a game that are very newbie UNfriendly.

Some games simply aren't newbie friendly. Sometimes the reason they are newbie unfriendly is the same reason they have deep, long term appeal. That's not a slam, that's just calling a spade a spade.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote