Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
FitzChivalry

FitzChivalry is on a distinguished road
Question Is Avalon One of the Better Text-Based MUDS?

I have just started playing Avalon which I am enjoying, but is it one of the best ones? Or would people recommend another?

I don't mind "pay to play" and if Avalon is great I will be happy to subscribe.

From chatting with one of the players in-game, it sounds like there's only about 40 people that play it regularly nowadays. Any more popular ones out there?

And sorry, I guess this has been asked hundreds of times. I did type Avalon in the search box, but of course it returned a lot of results.

Last edited by FitzChivalry : 09-15-2012 at 01:08 PM.
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Avalon One of the Better Text-Based MUDS?

Well, if your concern is -only- players online, mudstats.com can help. I've heard that some muds lie on there, and I can't entirely convince myself that that's not the case (if they do, there's nothing mudstats can do about it) but most of their data is accurate.

As for pay to play or free, my stand is don't pay for muds. Batmud, discworld, and icesus are larger than 40 players and each is decent in it's own way; I've been known to play all three from time to time. Discworld has well-done quests whereas batmud and icesus are more hack and slash.

I can't really help you until I know what it is you like about avalon; having never played it, I don't know what's similar. If avalon is the only mud you've ever played ever, I'd have to say definitely don't pay for it until you see what else is available.

Let me put it this way. Hosting for a mud costs as low as $2 a month for a vps and you can get it hosted for free if you really try. I don't think that paying for muds is wrong, I just think there's enough quality free ones out there that you don't have to; if you -really- like it, donate. (as a side note, the hosting i'm talking about is bhost vps, and it really does start at $2 and something cents).

Tell us what you like about Avalon and what you want to see in a mud, and you'll get more focused recommendations. If you don't know how to answer this question, the top 20 lists here and on mudconnect.com are a good place to start looking at your options; knowing what you like about avalon that isn't in all other muds can be difficult if you've only ever played Avalon.

Hope I helped...
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
FitzChivalry

Thanks for the reply. So for Avalon is the only one I've played, so I will try and find some of the others.

I am happy with RPG more than hack-and-slash.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Gesslar

Home MUD: ThresholdRPG
Gesslar is on a distinguished road

This is a really subjective question. I haven't played Avalon, but if you're looking for RP MUDs, there are quite a number of them out there. Personally, I have had some pretty bad experiences (MUDs that spew colour all over the place making it difficult to tell what sort of things are important, relevant or special) and I've had some good ones (where players really enjoy interacting with each other). The thing about RP is that you get out of it what you put into it and often how good a MUD is really boils down to its community or player base. At Threshold, we really love the community that has evolved around our game. Game changes both major and minor have come about as a result of player-driven events. We provide the backdrop, but it's the players who really bring it to life.

I hope you find what you're looking for, the MUD genre of gaming always welcomes the injection of new players who bring their fresh ideas and roleplay.
Gesslar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road

Avalon is definitely one of the better quality MUDs out there, but whether you'll enjoy it enough to pay a monthly subscription for nobody but you can answer. Play it for a month or two and see how you like it.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
FitzChivalry

Thanks, Orrin, I must admit I DO enjoy Avalon. It's easy to get into and I find when I've not played it for a few days, I'm itching to get back to it.

I will give others a try as well, however.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
oisin

oisin is on a distinguished road

Hi FitzChivalry, Avalon is a great mud.

If pay for play isn't your thing then there is a very similiar mud to Avalon called Akanbar that you could play.

A good few players that used to play Avalon but stopped subscribing for money reasons have ended up on 'Bar and liked it just as much, there is a feel to it that will be familiar to fans of Avalon.

I myself enjoyed the time I played on Avalon and enjoyed my time on Akanbar just as much if not more, having been there from near the beginning.
oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

FitzChivalry,

If you're looking for a good non-RP mud, you may want to check out Alter Aeon. We're bigger than Avalon (and growing instead of shrinking) and are free to play. We've got a custom client with sound and a map that really helps exploring and understanding the layout of the world. The theme is medieval fantasy, with magic and dragons. PK is by voluntary registration only. The game is actively maintained and well taken care of.

We hope to see you there!

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Check out Achaea. Its roots were inspired by Avalon (I lived with Avalon's owner back in the 90s, and was an admin there back then too) but we're far bigger than they are. We had over 500 players online recently in an event, for instance. We're free-to-play, but a commercial game with the expected professional staff and quality level.

Here's a video I made recently that may entice you to check out Achaea:

Last edited by the_logos : 05-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #10
Kizzurazzgabi

Kizzurazzgabi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Is Avalon One of the Better Text-Based MUDS?

Avalon has deffinitly been around longer than the others, thus has had a lot of thoughts and mind put into it. Thus the cities, Villages, Warfare(legion battle, as opposed to adventure PVP), economics, farming, and labours are perhaps the most in-depth, and complex compared to all the other games(if complexity and realism is what your looking for). also, over 1000 bugs have been squashed the past month, a website for it has popped up, is the new site, Much more work is being put into it as I speak.

As for being the better text mud, I would think is a matter of opinion, however, for me it is. I've checked out Achaea, and others but found them lacking what I found in Avalon. Where mortals can become anything, even compete for godhood. Come be a part of this evolving world braah,
Kizzurazzgabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
Belgarath

I'm surprised I suddenly found this topic, but since I did, I should give an update and say that as of 2014 - its 25th year - is now free to play through your city, guild, or divine patron.

And @Kizzurazzgabi is right, Avalon has a lot to offer and recently had over a thousand bugs fixed, as well as new additions added in-game and out, including their forum-like website: meetplace.net (based off of the location every newbie starts out in when first entering the game).
Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
Elsalvador

Home MUD: www.avalon-rpg.com
Home MUD: Avalon-rpg.com
Home MUD: Avalon-rpg.com
Elsalvador is on a distinguished road

Belg you obviously find more time hanging around forums than actually doing anything in Avalon :P *Cracks the whip*.

I've just registered here myself and found 2 Avalon related topics already to reply in? I'm surprised considering its relative indie status across the internet.

Belgarath is right though, the new sponsorship concept that has been introduced allows people to play for free with zero limits on their ability to progress their character - a sponsored player can be the top fighter, City Leader, whatever they want to be if they're good enough at it.
Elsalvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Xanthe

Xanthe is on a distinguished road

Having played Avalon for almost 19 years (next month) my opinion is obviously that it is. I have tried others and keep coming back to Avalon. I was happy to see them go free to play recently with the sponsorship program via guilds or cities. Especially that there are no limits whether you're sponsored or pay to play.

The path you walk with your character is an adventure you make yourself. Nothing is pre-determined. Whether you want to lead a quiet life of healing or commodity collecting, or you're ambitious in rising the ranks of your guild or city, perhaps you love PVP ... the fighting system is very competitive and their warfare system is excellent!

That's my two cents
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote