Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
Lyalae

Lyalae is on a distinguished road
Searching for a new mud.. Help

I've been searching the forums for a new mud for what seems like ages since my preferred closed. I have been gaming for a number of years, started out on Thresh and went to NWA, Arm, Atonement and Parallel (amazing code/staff/players/game in general), Lautolae Springs, SOI and to nothing. I want to get back into Gaming again, I miss it. But it seems more difficult then not to find a good mud.

I'm not looking for the normal hack and slash type mud, looking for detail in the descripts, objects and people (where they can also be targeted in emotes, says and whispers). I want to know when I log into a game that there's going to be more then 1 or 2 people on that aren't speed walking, grinding away for XP for levels and skills, and actually enjoy rping new with players or even old players. A staff that while always present, is building, adding to the storyline and involving those who are less interactive (shy) with pc's into the storyline. I would love to see a mud with massive skill trees, where death is taken seriously (Perma-death), the chance to actually step outside the box to build new things such has homes and farms. Cities that are thriving but not so crowded with NPC's that a newbie isn't going to know the difference. There doesn't have to be a lot of races to choose from, honestly less races the better. I love the detailed chargen that some games have, it is amazing to be able to go in depth in creating a pc from the ground up.

The Code Base for Atonement, Parallel and SOI run off the same engine and is my preferred, but I'm not against trying something new. Atonement ran it's course and shut down, Parallel died when SOI opened or began to open up. Tried SOI, but got burned because of days of endless solo rp or tiny spurts of rp because I was new player fumbling (failing) to get a foot hold. I would love to find a mud that has Similar coding, skill tree's, character chargen and all as those listed above with a bit friendly player base to new players.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Lyalae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Searching for a new mud.. Help

The building part wouldn't be included in your list of criteria for Armageddon, and maybe you don't play peak times or get involved in clan-activity (not meaning that you have to join a clan, many clans have activities involving other clans and independents). But is the lack of building opportunities the only thing that turned you off of Arm? When you say cities are thriving, what do you mean by that, personally? For me, thriving would mean a variety of players who base themselves out of that city and interact with other people publically. It doesn't have to be 10 or 20 or 50 people all RPing in the same room at the exact same time. Just being able to catch a variety during any given day that I log in. Nothing chaps my hide more than being stuck RPing with the same 2 people every day.

So, what turned you off Armageddon, since other than that, it fits every criteria you're looking for?
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Lyalae

What turned me off of Arm was similar to what happened on other muds, created and due to awkwardness of attempting to learn the different emoting system/finding different locations (which I failed to do), logging in at all hours due to not working and all. I again found myself watching speed walkers for the most part or being told that if I wanted help to join a clan (which I wasn't ready to do due to the learning process). I couldn't even get help locating places in the game, just kept getting told to go hang out at the tavern. A few days of lurking around the tavern, rping solo and/or even going out to look on my own (attempting to engage who I could randomly, I think I attempted to engage a couple of NPC's) yielded me nothing. It's quite possible that due to me playing the starter characters I do first time through is the problem. I hate appearing like an idiot in muds, which is why when I start a new mud the char's I choose to play are either very awkward and shy toward other people or are a mute just so that I don't say something stupid and get labelled. I very huge on the newbie help front, I like having random people checking in from time to time to make sure things are going ok or to help.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I am assuming from your original post that you are not looking to go back to any of the Games you originally posted (namely Threshold, New Worlds Ateraan, Atonement, Arm, and the like), so my suggestion would be something completely different. Perhaps try Carrion Fields or WotMud?

Good Luck and have fun, I'm sure you will fall into something that is fun for you.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Lyalae

Hello COOK, yeah, I'm not so sure I'm willing to go back to old muds. Tried NWA a couple times and just don't stay long because the game feels stale.

I'll have to check out the other 2 you suggested though, don't think I've tried'em.

Last edited by Lyalae : 03-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you failed on a lot of levels here. The emoting system is definitely detailed and robust, but you're not required to utilize all its capabilities. For directions to places, all you need to do is stand outside and type DIRECTIONS and you'll see a list of places you can get directions to. This is in the help files. There are no speed walkers; all movement has a built-in delay. You join a clan BECAUSE of the learning process. You don't avoid it because of the learning process. Joining a clan is the best way to learn how to play. That's why someone offered to help you do so. Again - in the help files and in the "new player" documentation. You will always feel like an idiot when you're new to any mud. That's the nature of being new, has nothing to do with the game you're in. You'll find that no matter where you go, if you go somewhere you haven't been before. There is a whole helper system outside the game where you can get "live chat" help at most hours of the day. Again - all in the help files, and in the new player documentation. In fact, as a new player, most of this would've been in the e-mail you received when you were first approved for your account, and then for your first character.

As for people checking in the game to make sure things are going OK, that won't happen in Armageddon, because Armageddon is an RP-centric RPI. When you're in the game, you are no longer a player. You're a character. And characters aren't always nice to each other. The fact that people tried to help you get clanned speaks to the generosity of players who bend over backward to be helpful and steer new players in the right direction, even if it goes against their character's personality to help your character (as opposed to robbing her, or murdering her, or swindling her, or ignoring her, or making fun of her).

Sorry you didn't enjoy the game, but it sounds like you were your own barrier to your enjoyment.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello to you too! Yes definately give them a shot.

As for stale, yes, all games can get exciting or boring from time to time depending on what's going on.

What's going on right now in NWA is a bit exciting. Apparently (can't give it all away) the Dahkoar and Waylumi are at eachother's throats to the point of murders in the Dahkoar Temple and a group murder in the village of Ferlada. This has resulted in both the City of Gahlen and the City of Darmahk preparing for war. Some talk of the Garrison of Gahlen bringing a force down to invade Darmahk.

At the same time the Druids are playing "switzerland" with neutrality which makes things exciting as friends of both sides are secretly helping.

Fun stuff for those not pk'd :-P
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I actually tried Ateraan again, believe it or not.

You know what I'd like to see in Ateraan? NPC puppets. I had an entire character concept developed around my noble having a loyal servant or a retinue, but apparently only merchants get their own NPCs.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Based on your post I'm guessing you mean "familiars" (pets, guards, etc)?

Interestingly enough those are possible in the game reguardless of guild. Some guilds do have familiars as part of their skills/powers, but there are other ways to get those, including servants, sailors, pets, slaves, even a baby dragon! (how cool is that?!)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
dark acacia
Banned

How quickly can a new character get one right after character creation?

I haven't been back to Ateraan anyway since I was busy at the time and later forgot the name of my character. It was a new name that isn't part of my usual rotation of names.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
Newworlds
Legend

Pretty quick, but you'd have to know where and how and such. This would take some interaction and exploration.

So really your question is answered in you ability and time to explore and delve in. Might take you a day or months.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:41 AM   #12
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road

Hey there Lyalae! I ran through mostly the same gamut of MUDs and RPIs before ending up where I'm at now; The Inquisition: Legacy.

We definitely don't have as fancy a website as Atonement did (that sucker was sleeeeeeek), but I hope that doesn't turn you off of play. A lot of our theme help files can be accessed in game, during the creation tutorial. A few key points, aside from meeting every single one of your own criteria:

1. Legacy has a plot and storyteller system. Basically this allows you to interact with the world on a level that code could never provide (basically allows you to RP actions, such as investigations, and submit a plot advance for the game's admin to look over and list of the results of the action. Primarily, it's used to promote player-player RP). The storyteller system is basically our fledgling flagship to give players access to dungeon-master like commands, so that they can entertain their fellow players.

2. Legacy has players on (even if it's only three or four) at all hours of the day, due to having many players from different countries. Peak times see us with nearly 35 players.

3. We have six(!) staffers currently, all who work very passionately on every portion of the game. Also, we do have public (OOC) channels (you can toggle these off) where you can ask questions, and just have a nice OOC chat with the other players. Everyone is amazingly helpful.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
dark acacia
Banned

Is TI:L the one with all the people or the one where everyone complains that criminal and heretic characters are unplayable? I tried both and I can't remember which is which.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
Ilkilyn

Ilkilyn is on a distinguished road

The Eternal City seems to match all of your requirements very well.

What has kept me playing TEC for 17 years is the combat mechanics. They're simple enough to use well, but those who really delve into how dodges/blocks work will understand how to aim their attacks to do even better. And they will also understand their own defenses well enough to try to adjust their training for their "holes".

The game is not only RP heavy, but also enforced, leading to a real sense of immersion. Characters can become very politically powerful, which can help if you're ever put to trial for murder

Permadeath exists (I've had 3 of my characters permakilled myself, one of them 7 years old), you can own (And if you're lucky enough build) your own home (domus). Item and room descriptions are very detailed:

a blood-streaked iron frighthelm with a faceplate resembling a carrion
human face.

l fright
>
This heavy iron frighthelm was barbarically yet skillfully forged. Large
intimidating ram horns curl around a crown intricately engraved with runes. The
faceplate has been carefully pock-marked and molded to resemble rotting human
flesh. The entire helmet, from plate to neck guard, has been emblazoned with a
deep crimson in splotches and streaks, giving the appearance of splattered and
streaked blood.

Combat Excerpts:

A Cineran foot soldier is stunned!
[Success: 5, Roll: 98] Shifting your grip on your two-handed boison axe apart, you swat downward at a Cineran foot soldier with the head! Critical Hit! Severe shot to the ribs is accompanied by a cracking sound!
A Cineran foot soldier screams!

[Success: 5, Roll: 75] You raise your spiked iron mace and jump up, bashing at a muscular man on your way down! Critical Hit! The attack pierces through to the back of a muscular man's mouth, leaving him choking on the spiked iron mace before he dies.

[Success: 5, Roll: 88] You slide both hands together near the head of your two-handed boison axe, then snap the haft towards a Cineran recruit! Critical Hit! Knockout blow to the head sends a Cineran recruit flying backwards!

Last edited by Ilkilyn : 01-21-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Ilkilyn is offline   Reply With Quote