Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Raocan

Raocan is on a distinguished road
The usual Looking for a MUD thread.

Hello, how are you guys doing?
Well as the title states I'd like a MUD that has this:
1- If possible no race at all, and if there're races I don't mind the usual elf,orc,half-elf, dwarf, etc. the classics.
2- I'd like an integrated map, or a script/plug-in that works with zMud or MUSHclient. I'm new to MUD games so I get lost easily without one.
3-I'm not from an english-speaking country so you probably realised already how much my english sucks. That's why I'm not comfortable with a MUD that is strongly based on Role-Playing.
4-I don't mind the player-base. As long as there's someone that can fix bugs or update some stuff I'm fine.

If you happen to know a Spanish MUD that doesn't fit to what I said before, please write about it anyway.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Raocan.

Edit: If the MUD is about a book, for example Wheel of Time, and there're different "races" to choose from I don't mind, as long as they are true to the book. But it must fit with the other characteristics I wrote before.

Last edited by Raocan : 09-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Raocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: The usual Looking for a MUD thread.

Raocan,

I recommend Alter Aeon. We don't have races, and RP isn't required. Our custom client has a built-in mapper that's one of the best out there; you can get it at:

The game has been open for 17 years, and we have a huge world with all kinds of features. There are between 40 and 80 people logged in at any give time. The theme is medieval/dungeons and dragons.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Vala

Vala is on a distinguished road

The only Spanish MUD I know of is . According to its stats, it has been around since the 90s, and while I have no clue about its playerbase (or the quality of the MUD - I have never played it), its forums look at least somewhat active.
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Spanish speaking Dentin, read the OP requests.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Turncoat

Turncoat is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but Dentin's mud is so awesome that it doesn't have to meet the other requirements.

I don't know of many spanish muds, mainly other languages.. Russian, and German for instance.
Turncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

Maybe we're reading what the guy said differently, but my take is that OP wants a mud (including English) that meets his criteria 1-4. One of those criteria (#3) is not wanting heavy roleplaying, because he's not comfortable enough with his English to roleplay.

Alternatively, he's interested in any Spanish speaking mud, even if it doesn't meat his 4 criteria.

I think Alter Aeon is a pretty good fit for his first category. Discworld is a little overwhelming, but fits most of the criteria, too. It doesn't have a built-in map, but there are websites that have pretty much everything mapped for you. Aardwolf meats all of the requirements except for being a no-race mud, including having extremely helpful in-game maps of everything, and a massive pile of features.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Raocan

SnowTroll is right:
I've tried Aardwolf, but I really dislike the amount of races. I don't know why I don't like that haha.

Alter Aeon's looking good so far! But I'd like, if possible, other muds to compare and then choose one.

Thanks Vala for your suggestion! I'll try it now.

Thank you guys, keep them coming if you know about more of them!

Raocan
Old 09-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

No need to apologise. I've seen a lot worse over the years.

Actually, mudding is a very good way to improve your English. I'm from a non-english speaking country myself, and so are many of our players. Mudding - and above all building for a mud - does wonders for the English skills, so sometimes I feel the schools should reward us for training their pupils...

Anyhow, I think 4D would suit your requirements perfectly. We have been on line for well around 15 years, so our world is huge, diverse and detailed by now, and there are lots of things to do, if you tire of killing mobs.

AND we have a very nice graphic plug-in map that works with MUSHclient - (thanks KaVir for developing it)!
You can have a look at how it works - and download it - from our website.

Last edited by Molly : 09-08-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Raocan

Thank you Molly for your suggestion. I've tried it but I didn't quiet get the actual 4 dimension feature, could you explain it to be by PM if you don't mind? So we don't flood this thread.

If you have any other mud that fits my criteria please post it!

Thank you in advance.

Raocan
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

4 Dimensions is a great MUD. My fav a few years ago in terms of quests and brain twisters. Hopefully Molly will get back to you for explaination.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Molly

Raocan, I've noted you some info, which hopefully will clear things up a bit.

As for suggestions of other Muds, how about trying Lensmoor? It's a nice game made by a gifted coder, and should fit most of your criteria.
It doesn't have an on-line map to my knowledge, but a large number of graphic maps are available through their website.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road

Hello Raocan,

You may be interested in Arantha. I'll hit up your wants real quick -

1- Standard D&D-ish playable races: Human, Half-elf, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling.
2- We have player-made maps on the website for towns, as well as an overland graphic map. Unfortunately, there is no integration or plug-ins. The game is designed to be played on any standard telnet window.
3- I hope this isn't the bee in your bonnet, but we are fairly strongly roleplay-based. That's not to say that there's plenty of good ol' fashioned adventuring and fighting/killing/treasure! However, we do have a requirement for playing your PC in-character.
A number of our players do not speak English as their primary language. We have some Brazilians that speak Portugese great and English not so great! I've always thought that roleplay MUDs can be a valuable tool for learning the language, it's like constantly studying an interactive book. And for the record I can understand you just fine! I would also hope that you do not feel uncomfortable playing our game because of this, we have a great (if still small) group of players who do everything to welcome and help new people.
4- Our Admins are coming back from an extended real-life vacation, and we're eager to get this MUD growing again! Code updates were sporatic for the past six months but are shifting to a regular schedule. At the moment our player base is low during certain hours.. we will begin advertising for players, builders and staff within a couple of weeks.

Our campaign is custom, medieval fantasy-based, and allows for PCs to be exceptional parts of the story rather than just adventurer footnotes. Everyone who plays is fantastic at answering any questions new folks have. We roleplay in-character but offer a global OOC channel that can really bring a sense of community to our game.. so come on by and say hello!

arantha.net:4000
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Raocan

Yes, thank you for the info Molly! All right, I'll check those graphic maps on the website.

I do like RP my character, but I get frustrated because sometimes my lack of vocabulary doesn't allow me to fully role-play the way I want, so I end up quitting or getting bored.

I'm really into Alter Aeon, but I don't mind playing another one, so I'm really thankfull for your suggestions, I'll give Lensmoor and Arantha a try.

Raocan
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Newworlds
Legend

If you end up wanting to go to a serious roleplaying game, try playing a Trolahk on New Worlds Ateraan. They have poor vocabularies and their own language.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Have you tried Threshold RPG yet? We've been around since 1996 and hundreds of people have started with minimal English skills, though after a few years they are practically a native speaker.

Also, we have had many people play characters that are mute, don't understand the common tongue, or a variety of other character traits that explained In Character why they did not speak much or may have trouble understanding others.

Out of Character our players are extremely understanding and love helping people figure out the game.

You can browse our Facebook feed to see some of the stuff going on:

Or visit our website:

or our forums:

Or just send me a PM here if you have questions.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

To further what Threshold said and summarize it: If you like roleplaying and the only reason you're shying away from it is your lack of complete proficiency with the English language, don't restrict your gaming experience for that reason alone. There are native English speakers that can barely string a sentence together polluting muds everywhere. Your posts here are already better English than nearly anything they'll spit out in a roleplaying scene, and most people will be happy to have you on their mud and contributing. Plus, you'll get better if you keep at it.

Now, if you don't actually like roleplaying and find it difficult or annoying to have to do because working on your English in that manner is hard work that you don't enjoy, then yeah, stick to non-rp muds. You're playing games to have fun, not work on your language skills.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #17
Molly

Another way of handling a language handicap would be to take on the role of someone visiting from a far away country. Apologise IC for your bad English, throw in a couple of words from your first language every now and then, talk wistfully of your home country - make the language part of your character.

But, as SnowTroll already said, your English is already quite good, so you probably won't even need that prop.