Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
egoodwin

egoodwin is on a distinguished road
Another looking for a MUD thread

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a MUD. I used to play Legends of Excalibur seven or eight years ago, but when I returned to mudding the playerbase has all but vanished and I have no desire to play a "dead" game. I have been playing Avatar MUD and I really like how it handles remort races, classes, and prestige classes. I also love the vast amount of knowledge and maps and other helpful information on their wiki page. While I truly love Avatar it was the first MUD I tried when I returned, and I was wondering if anyone could help me find other MUDs to try with these general guidelines:

Good selection of races, I get to be a human everyday, I'd rather not game as one.
Classes (preferably with remort options and prestige options similar to Avatar, or a system similar to LofE where once you got to a certain level you could multiclass or stay on the path of your current class).
Helpful, Active Community

I would not mind a MUD with enforced roleplaying if it meets all of the above criteria, but I am also ok with roleplaying encouraged or just a hack N' slash.

Thanks for your time!
egoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Another looking for a MUD thread

Good old Ardwolf, #1 on the list, has a good selection of races, each unique from each other, and an absolutely massive multiclass/remort system, where once you've leveled up in each class, you start the process all over again at the next "tier," slightly more powerful. I think you do that seven times before you're "maxed out."

Dark and Shattered Lands is a somewhat RP-enforced mud that has a sizeable selection of races (mostly Dragonlance based), and five base classes, but once you've reached a certain level, you have the option to change into a specialized class.

4Dimensions has a small selection of races that are mostly similar to each other, with a tiered class system where you start out as a base class and pick a specific branch of that class later.

End of Time is a Final Fantasy based mud with a good smattering of the races you'd expect if you're familiar with the console games, set apart by unique racial abilities. The game's still in development, but slated to go "live" any day now. It has four base classes, then at certain levels, you choose from various specialized class options.

That's just a few off the top of my head. Really, there are a lot of muds out there that have a wide selection of races, and a system that lets you change/specialize your character class at one or more points.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

I can throw a few out here.

Batmud meets almost all of your criteria. You can even play as a duck if you earn it. You have "free levels", and you pick a background (magical, good/evil religious, nomad or civilized (with rather a few odd guilds)) and have 100 levels you can divide between the guilds in your background any way you choose. And, last time I was on anyway, they were between 200-400 online. They don't call it classes, but that's basically what guilds are. Note: duck requires an invitation from another player, if I recall correctly.

Icesus is generally the same system as batmud, at least so far as guilds.

Aardwolf, as previously mentioned, does have multiclassing, but you basically get everything.

Storm hunters, which I've not played in a while, does have multiclassing as you described; do be aware this one is smaller, and may not have as many players as you would want.

Godwars2 also comes close-ish here. You don't get a race--you play as a superneturalis (which I'm probably misspelling), which is basically a god. Multiclassing, not really, but you're not going to get further from human, probably (I could argue multiclassing, for godwars2 but that's sort of trying to put a square peg in a round hole; it'll fit if you take off the corners or bend it...).

None of these are RPI, I'm afraid; I don't much care for RPI.

Can't think of any others at the moment.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
ww_crimson

Home MUD: Aarchon
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road

It looks like you've got quite a few good suggestions in already, but I'm going to take a minute to plug my own MUD. I don't normally do this in these threads unless I truly believe it would be a good fit.

Take a few minutes to check out Aarchon

We have 19 races available at creation and each time you remort you're given 5-7 more races that you can choose from.

There are also 15 classes available.

While we don't have a huge community, we regularly have 6-12 players online. There are 12 on at the time of this post. Everyone is extremely helpful. There isn't an in-game map system but our website contains quite a bit of information and you're given a newbie guide at creation that should help you get started off on the right foot.

RP isn't enforced but it is allowed.

I hope you give us a chance if you haven't already turned one of the previously mentioned MUDs into your new home. Good luck with wherever you decide to play!

-Astark
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello Egoodwin,

I'll say upfront that New Worlds Ateraan is the choice of hundreds of players who enjoy the fine art of roleplaying. I would warn you to only try this game if you are willing to join enforced roleplay and are willing to get hugely addicted to a massive community.

I'll try to answer your requests line by line for you.

Ateraan never sleeps. There are 150 to 250 players constantly from all around the world.

Good selection of races:
Ateraan has numerous races of all styles even unique to this game only. Check out the website for the various options and types of races. There are two different cities to start in which offer different races. One is very difficult and ruthless, the other is more civilized. Like the races you can learn about them on the website.

Classes:
Ateraan has numerous Guilds (classes) that you can choose from, some standard others particular to our world. Some specifically roleplay related like Merchants and Traders that build incredible ships you can sail, houses, mansions, castles, and all kinds of other creations.

The beauty of the classes in Ateraan is that they control the religion, politics, and justice of the game. Large communities with courts, theaters, garrisons, magic, temples, that you would find in a MMORPG.

Helpful, Active Community:

Ateraan has staff, guides, and players that are helpful and friendly as well as one of the best creation systems that really shows you how to function in our world without forcing you through automated interaction.

The playerbase is large as I said with hundreds of players that allow for huge invasions, large events, and group adventuring where anywhere from 3 to more than 10 players can run out and have true adventures in the style of table top D&D.

Give it a try and learn what others have of this great world, New Worlds Ateraan.

Other games I would recommend that are not so RP intensive in no particular order:

BatMud, Achaea, and Materia Magica.

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote