Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Wroat

Wroat is on a distinguished road
LFM with an Intuitive Combat System

I'm looking for something more than just "attack ," but something where you have to employ the skills, spells, and abilities you learn to actually win. Anyone have any suggestions?
Wroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road
Re: LFM with an Intuitive Combat System

Well, UL has interesting combat. Physically, you either attack an opponent without aiming, and hit a random damage location, or target a location for a higher difficulty to hit. The upside to hitting the same limb multiple times is a severely damaged limb causes more bleeding and direct damage to vitality when hit. A damaged location will bleed, until enough time passes for it to clot. If a location is maimed or mutilated (Broken or Destroyed) it will bleed faster and won't stop.

Direct Physical skills are somewhat few, but each mercenary is a combination of 2 out of 4 possible specializations. They also have very useful passives that improve combat in general. One specialization has an anti-magic shell that protects against spells, while the rest can throw off harmful curses with a command.

Magic varies greatly from profession to profession, going from direct elemental damage, to damage over time, to giving opponents your wounds (A personal favorite).
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Wroat

Wroat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
Wroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

RetroMUD, BatMUD, and ZombieMUD are examples of games which rely heavily on class skills and spells, based on the paths you choose for your character.

Games with the same old kick and dirt throwing skills are a dime a dozen, and I feel like the skillsets are uninspired.

I don't think I've ever tried UL, but I might. The game I'm playing now (SG) is wearing thin really fast.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Ghostcat

I feel obligated to mention that UL is roleplay enforced, and not a PVP mud.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
dark acacia
Banned

I tried applying for Unwritten Legends yesterday and haven't got a response yet. How long does it usually take?

Edit: I tried UL tonight and was disappointed.

Last edited by dark acacia : 03-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Ghostcat

What were your main issues with the game?
There's a lot to learn before you can really get rolling, but we're happy to help new people.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
dark acacia
Banned

After going through a chargen process with little explanation of what things were, and navigating through the help file system until I could figure out the proper name of the help channel so I could use it, and then reading through walls of text to learn how to do basic game things, I wandered around trying to find a tour guide, and promptly got myself killed.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

No kidding. I've been holding my tongue about that game, but in addition to the fact that there isn't the slightest clue given to you about how to get started or what you're supposed to do be even remotely successful at the game, or even basic commands, I wasted over an hour bumming around the starting city, because we all know that simple cardinal directions are outdated, and unique roleplaying muds are set apart by making you type "go gray stairs" and "go blue archway" every time you want to enter that inn across the street, granted the gray stairs and blue archway go to the same place even though there's nothing in the room description that would indicate that these two seemingly unique exits represent the same doorway to the same inn that could have just been "north" like any other mud. Oh yeah, and let's stuff every single room in the starting town with ten exits like those two that require you to type a descriptive phrase to move one room. And even though only six people play, it's a great idea to give all twelve races 6 or 7 subraces each. And turn the normal stats everyone is used to into twice as many stats with no explanation what each is good for. Because the best way to set apart a great mud from the mainstream muds is to rename everything, make twice as much of everyhing, and make the gameplay completely unrecognizable to a normal mudder.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
dark acacia
Banned

get arrow
shoot <target>
*wait 6 seconds*
get arrow
shoot <target>
*wait 6 seconds*
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Ghostcat

The website is full of useful information, including maps of the whole game, commands, how to be successful, descriptions of all the subraces, and explanations of the stats.
Duplicate exits have been hidden, now.

You picked one of the most underdeveloped professions, which should be expanded upon when it gets up in the queue.
Also, you chose not to shoot at limbs or anything?

Here's Auchtor on the future plans for rangers:

Last edited by Ghostcat : 03-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
dark acacia
Banned

Correction:

get arrow
shoot <target>'s <bodypart>
*wait 6 seconds*
get arrow
shoot <target>'s <bodypart>
*wait 6 seconds*
skin corpse
*wait 3 seconds*
put pelt in <container>
search corpse
put chest in <container>
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

Try .

Our combat has always required using your entire arsenal, but over the past 2 years, we did a lot to make it even more fun. We have ranged combat (where your targets will be hunting you down), skills that earn combo points to be used towards more powerful skills, strong synergies between the skills of certain classes, NPC-race-based after-effects that reward changing your strategies to fit the opponent, hero powers during the end game, and many other tricks up our sleeve.

We've also made countless usability improvements to make sure each typed letter counts.

We're intelligent hack and slash, with limited PvP. No RP at all.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote