Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
ymar

ymar is on a distinguished road
Looking for a MUD

Hi. I'm not a very experienced MUD player. I've only played one MUD seriously, which was the Polish MUD Arkadia.I loved the experience, but I eventually stopped playing. I'll explain why, but I will first describe some of the features the MUD.

Arkadia has a very large number of locations divided into two "worlds", one of which is themed according to the Warhammer world, and one according to the world of Sapkowski's Witcher books. The two worlds intertwine (without much of an attempt at explaining this fact). It is in constant development, has been for like twenty years now (not sure exactly), and new locations are created, rules are changed, quests are added and so on. And it does look a bit like building site from the inside -- you come across permanently blocked roads and unenterable towns.

There is no magic in the game, almost at all. That is magic is mentioned, and you can see some magical things, but players don't do magic, and they don't have to be concerned about it. There are also no bows and no horseback riding.

Now for the gameplay. Roleplaying is effectively obligatory, though I don't remember what the exact rules are. There are no classes to be chosen during character creation. Instead, there is quite a complicated system of guilds and professions for the players. It works broadly like this. There is a significant number of skills available for the players, including such as acrobatics or knowledge of herbology. (Some of them are almost useless due to the unfinished nature of the game.) There is a limit for each skill of how much you can learn without joining some guild or profession. Once you join one, the limits get larger for some pertinent skills. You can leave both guilds an professions, but what happens is that after some time you'll forget all you've learned there, and your skills will go back to the pre-joining state. There are some (even useful) skills that you can't max out simply because there's no place where you can do that.

You can also learn languages, and there are quite a lot of them. For that you just have to get friendly with someone who knows a language and persuade them to teach you. You can also get languages for free by choosing your roots.

One feature that I particularly liked was the presence of "societies" (or whatever the right English word is). There are very many emotions available for players as they are, but by joining "societies", guilds, professions or whatever, you get new fancy ones. One of the societies is the "Society of Travellers". You get a map, and each time you see something new, the map grows, and you can gain "traveller's levels" which give you more and more emotions. The more obscure things you look at, the faster it happens.

Now what I wanted do was become a herbalist in the game. I just liked walking around, making money in various non-violent ways. There are quite many available, for example selling herbs, fishing, working for the postal office, doing quests. I liked doing those things very much. I would sometimes go and kill something, and I wanted to start doing it more often later.

Why I left was because I found that I was close to learning all the skills available pre-join and discovered how little I could learn after I joined the herbalist profession. And I wanted to learn everything eventually, which is impossible because of the skill forgetting thing. Also it turned out as I became acquainted with the world and my character learned to do stuff, pleople started pressuring me to join their various things, and go to war, and do all these stupid things I didn't want to do. They were nice people, but it started to take too much of my time, and I left.

I would like to find a MUD that would satisfy me. Could you help me? I would just like to walk around and watch my character grow and become and omniscient being. I would like to look for herbs, hunt, fish, deliver parcels, do quests and try different professions. I would like the MUD to be similar to Arkadia in many respects. I don't need magic, but if there's magic, it's alright. I would prefer not to be killed by players to often. I would like the players to be friendly but not too much. If there was a measure of your progress in getting to know the world, like in Arkadia, that would be fantastic.

I would just like an Arkadia that doesn't limit me too much. (As the real one does in my opinion.) I can accept limitations on weapon skills. That is you probably shouldn't be able to become a master in every weapon there is. But why shouldn't I be able to learn other skills as well as I want?

Thank you.

Last edited by ymar : 05-28-2013 at 07:32 AM.
ymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a MUD

Discworld, Geas, and I think Dartmud all foster a skill-based system where you can walk around doing lots of non-combat scavenging and crafting tasks if you choose. Discworld is primarily non-RP (though there are people who do roleplay to be found around there if you don't mind sticking to a minority social circle) but there's a crapton of stuff to explore (exploration gives experience, and there are quests everywhere). I think both Geas and Dartmud are more RP-centered. There are half a dozen other muds that have pretty well developed crafting systems if you ask around. Other people can probably help you out with some suggestions. I don't get around as much as I used to.

If you're more into the social side of things, New Worlds has a more traditional level-based system, with combat being the most efficient means to advance, but there are a good number of non-combat things you can do to get money and experience points (including roleplaying in some cases). There are also two non-combat classes that subsist on creating both stock and custom items and providing services to other players. I'm hesitant to say the mud has a very developed crafting system, though. There are only a few items that follow the traditional path of scavenging and converting raw materials to a useful piece of equipment. Many/most crafted items are generated out of thin air, and are primarily useful as roleplaying props. Crafting there is more about being a good writer and churning out attractive item descriptions.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road

Accursed Lands and a mud called Elysium for wandering around crafting/questing.

Armageddon, Shadows of Isildur for more rp-oriented muds in which crafting, herbalism and socializing are options.
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
blackr3per

blackr3per is on a distinguished road

Someone, please explain the status of SOI. Is it, or is it not, open to new players at the moment?

I have visited their site and I have tried to log on,but by all acounts they seem be in a closed beta. However, I keep seeing people suggest SOI to new players. So why suggest it?

Is there a secret handshake or something to getting in?

Last edited by blackr3per : 05-31-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixed some typos and grammatical errors
blackr3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

This explains it:

Basically SoI closed down, then went on haitus for awhile, and is in beta testing for a restructuring of the game in a new incarnation. You have to request access as a beta tester.

The staff last posted in March, saying it's still in beta:

But yes - the game is technically closed. I don't know why people keep recommending it.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
ForgottenMUD

Home MUD: ForgottenMUD
Home MUD: Bedlam
ForgottenMUD is on a distinguished road

Wikipedia lists a few Polish MUDs:

I have no idea what they are like, but perhaps there's one you'll like.
ForgottenMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello there Ymar,

I would recommend for the following reasons:

1. Different societies that you can create in and different styles of creating so you can tailor your character.

2. Excellent creation process with a community of staff, guides, and players who wil assist you as you begin your development OR a creation process with no assistance for the hard core roleplayer who wants to do it on their own. You have both options but I would suggest the easier assisted option when you get in creation (it's called joining in the Kingdom).

3. Large community of players (over 100) so you can be involved in multiple areas of intrique.

4. Impossible to "win" the game as it is forever growing and has so many options you will forever be able to find new things to learn.

5. Numerous guilds to choose from with a variety of different powers and commands to learn.

6. Two specific guilds that are mostly for roleplay and creation so you can make items and work with the economy more than just adventure. You have the ability to create, fish, game hunt (trapping), farm, etc.

7. Modifiable houses that give you a sense of ownership within areas of the game.

8. Incredible shipping/ocean experience. You can buy a variety of ships that sail the large ocean masses, explore islands, fight pirates, hunt whales and other ocean life. These ships have different styles of sailing abilities and weapons as well.

9. Roleplay is enforced so you get to invest your character with full roleplay that can be intriquing, fun, and intense.

10. Religions that have purpose and storyline for a rich background.

These are the things that might be attractive to you in this game. I would also recommend as an alternative place to play as it is also very robust and full of exciting options. Be warned, both of these games are roleplay enforced and have the added fear of possible pk. The nice side of that is that you must have roleplay reasons to pk another character so if you do not roleplay yourself into conflict, you are likely very safe from such (at least if you start in the Kingdom on Ateraan).

Good luck with your search!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote