Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
spacelike

spacelike is on a distinguished road
Connectivity in MUD games?

I've tried a few MUD's but never seemed to stick with one long enough to really see what they have to offer later in the game.
and I've been wondering why this is, especially in ones that seem to have a lot of the features I thought I wanted.

However, I think I finally figured out what the problem was. I'm just not sure how connected players actually are in these games.
Is it possible to form parties? Decent sized groups of people and go fight a boss together? How often does this sort of thing happen?
Are there PvP muds with a community behind it with competition and a friendly atmosphere? Team PvP?
Do clans ever do events where all the members of a clan meet in one spot and do something?

My experiences with MUD's so far have told me that a game doesn't need graphics to be good, some of the games I found very engaging, but it felt like I was playing a solo game with a chatroom. I could talk to other players but wasn't really playing with anyone.

[EDIT] I just realized I might get a lot of "hardcore roleplaying" game suggestions because that would have more community interaction.
I'm not against that, however I'm a bit afraid of intensive roleplay to be honest. I would feel more comfortable if the interactions were centered around game mechanics.
But all suggestions are welcome.
[/EDIT]
spacelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Connectivity in MUD games?

You may want to try Alter Aeon. We're not RP required, and have a lot of grouping and player interaction. There are groups of all sizes, clans, PvP and clan PvP, and far more. Just this weekend, we had several large 'event groups', which are groups much larger than normal, for the special solstice event.

Players can talk via player created and controlled channels, private tells and email, clan channels, etc. There's a lot of player interaction available, but the nice thing is that it's not necessary. Be as social, or antisocial as you wish. Some people live and die by their clan, while others could stand to never see another person. Both types of playing work here.

When you start out, the first ten levels of the game are about teaching you the basics and getting you through a handful of really cool new player zones. You won't see many people here, because players level out of that range quickly and it's intended to get you on your feet. Once you hit the towns of Vemarken and Indira, you'll see other people more often.

Keep in mind that the social aspects generally don't kick in until you're reasonably high level, which can take a few days of leveling. It's pretty hard to find groups below level 20, because there's fewer people at those levels, and because fewer of the people at low levels are comfortable with grouping. Grouping definitely picks up at high levels, and there are almost always open groups available.

One problem with a lot of muds is that it's hard to do a lot of these social things unless there are enough players online. We peak at over a hundred players pretty regularly, and maintain an average of around 60 right now, so there's always other players available.

Don't forget to try our custom client. The built in mapper and group status options are awsome when grouping, and really make it easier to take care of people in groups.

We hope to see you there!

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I actually think what you are looking for is quite the opposite of a hardcore roleplaying game, since those don't encourage OOC interaction, and also usually hide the game mechanics as much as possible.

What you should look for is a Game where Roleplay is just "encouraged" or "allowed", and there are a whole bunch of those.

My own game is mostly centered around quests, exploring and hack'n'slash (in that order). We also have some very active and competitive Clans, and our players group a lot, both within and without the clans, to fight the tougher mobs, or just for the company. But since we've got a relatively small playerbase, it might not be exactly what you are looking for either.

However, I'm sure that if you do a search with the criteria you are looking for, you'll find something to your liking.

Good luck! text Muds are fun and deserve a lot more attention.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Myrlyn

Myrlyn is on a distinguished road

What Molly forgot to mention is that she is opening a zone soon that would require at least 3 players to group together to go against some of the mobs there.
Myrlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Bedlam offers a long list of incentives to group: higher item drop rates and experience gain, group quests, areas specifically designed for groups, strong synergies between certain classes, character bonding, player guild goals. We are a non-RP (tolerated) game with strong group-based PvE and several modes of optional PvP. Our PvP, like everything else in the game, is designed in a way that promotes friendly competition.

plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote