Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #1
Vendayn

Vendayn is on a distinguished road
Looking for an in-depth MUD

So, I've been looking for an in-depth MUD.

What I mean by that...

I am not looking for a hack and slash type of game. And not a MUD with shorthanded descriptions...I like a lot of detail into each race, item and place in the game. And I kind of like a large world to explore, not a big fan of small maps in games. I tend to avoid games with a small map.

I am also looking for one where I can farm (like in Avalon), or have some way of interacting or changing the world in some way. Maybe build a house somewhere like in the old Ultima Online MMO. I actually want to live off the land, and kind of just survive on my own. Yet, if I go into a city, I'd hope to see people (so, any low player base MUD is out...I actually want to interact with others)

Generally, I like roleplaying as a hunter who lives out in the woods in a cabin or something he has built himself. But, still likes to socialize and trade with others.

Crafting is my favorite thing to do in games (pretty much what I mostly do), but I also like exploring just as much. And playing a MUD with little descriptions on each room and item, and just mostly an ASCII colored map isn't very immersive to me. I don't like the MUDs with ascii maps that avoid them having to write descriptions about the room. I can play MMOs if I want graphics :P Nor do I want a MUD with sound effects, I'd rather it being told through text...like I'm reading a book. Both are completely unimmersive (to me) and take me out of the game in a MUD.

I usually play a human in a MUD, but I like it when there are multiple races to interact with...makes better RP than just humans everywhere. And I do like skilling up, just not in a hack and slash kind of way.

I think Armageddon MUD may fit the bill really well (I think its 100% what I am looking for), but I think it might be TOO hardcore for me. If my character dies, I have to write an entire new background and then wait up to 24 hours to play again. I don't think that is very fun to me. I don't want to spend 1 hour making a character every time I die, and then wait another 24 hours for it to be made again. That pretty much kills it for me.

I think that right there ruins any chance of me playing Armageddon if I die once on a character. I don't want to wait and wait and wait for someone to approve my character each time I get killed or die. If it was more automated, I'd like it...otherwise its mostly be waiting and waiting to be made

Even if so, that makes it feel way too hardcore for me.

Outside of Armageddon, I can't find any other MUD like it. But it does match a lot of what I am looking for.

Other MMOs I tried

Achaea and their other games (they cost too much money) and I didn't really like them...the world felt kinda linear and unimmersive. Didn't feel very big or open, and was kinda hack and slash like.

I tried Aardwolf, but didn't like it

Discworld is good for quests, but doesn't have anything that I'm really looking for except detailed descriptions.

Tried various 100% pvp muds, and those I liked less than aardwolf

Tried materia magicka and that other similar game...forgot what its called...it was really similar though...and I actually greatly disliked both.

So far, only Armageddon has been what I am looking for and I had most fun with that one. Except waiting any amount of time past 1 hour to make a character and wait for (exaggeration) weeks for a character to be made (sure feels like weeks), pretty much crosses that off the list. I expect to make a character and play, not make a character and wait till the next day lol.

I will avoid any pay to win, pay to play (past 15 dollars) or heavy cash shop based MUDs. I don't play MMOs like that, nor will I play MUDs like that :P Some MUDs, except the gemstone games...cost SO much money to keep up with others (like achaea is the worst). At least gemstone its a flat 15 dollar fee, except they have really expensive options that I don't like that well.

I never really tried avalon, I couldn't find how much it costs and I don't really have too much interest in finding a sponsor. I kind of want to meet people on my own, not be forced to interact with someone so they can sponsor me. Kinda ruins the social aspect of it to me...its like I'm using them. If the monthly fee is only 10 or 15 dollars, if its what I'm looking for...I could get into that. Anything more expensive than a pay to play MMO (15 a month) is right off the MUD list.

Anyone suggest any MUDs? I know sorta picky, and I did find ONE (armageddon) and maybe TWO if Avalon is not more expensive than a MMO. Avalon does seem to have a lot of what I'm looking for, but I can't find anywhere about how much monthly it is. Supposedly its 20-30 dollars, but I wouldn't pay that much for any monthly fee for a game :P

But I'll pay to play for a MUD (or MMO) before I support a pay to win cash shop :P Its why I refuse to play any free to play MMO :P That is mostly why I pretty much gave up really quick on Achaea. Too expensive, and some of the credit purchases looked REALLY expensive. I could buy a huge portion of steam game list for some of the prices they chose lol.
Vendayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for an in-depth MUD

You should at least try 4 Dimensions.

We have just about everything that you are looking for, except one thing – our playerbase is rather small. It’s always been small, and since players breed players, we stay small. 4D is a truly free mud, without any sneaky tricks for your wallet, but that also means that we’re without funds for advertising.

But we do have a very large and detailed world. Since our theme is Time travel, we even have 4 large worlds – you can choose between PreHistoric, Medieval, OldWest and Future, and each Dimenson is consistently true to the time period and location.

Everything in 4D has detailed descriptions, for instance there are listen and smell descriptions for rooms, and smell/taste/feel descriptions for objects. We even have day/night descriptions for rooms, but since that was a late addition, not all zones have them, and they tend to be reserved for “special” rooms.

We have hundreds of built-in quests in the zones, not just the usual “kill this”, “bring me that” type, but real quests with a detailed and entertaining background story.

We have farming, gardening, lumberjacking, mining, goldpanning, fruitpicking, fishing, archeology and trading. When our massive update of the OldWest Dimension goes in next week, we’ll also have trapping, skinning, shearing, milking and ranching. You’ll actually be able to raise your own herd of cattle, horses and sheep and drive the animals to the market to sell.

And currently we have a team working on our craft system, that will enable you to put all the items that you collect, grow and raise to full use.

You can also date people, marry and have children.
And of course you can buy yourself a house to live in, with pets and mounts and servants. But not for Real Life money. Our crashprooh houses are expensive, but you pay for them with in-game currency, mostly from questing and trading.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #3
Vendayn

Vendayn is on a distinguished road

Well, that sounds awesome. Guess MUDs tend to have smaller player bases than most, so can't be too picky on that. I'll definitely give this a try.

I bookmarked the website, so tomorrow I'll start it up. Its 1 am here, so a bit late for starting a new game :P
Vendayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

You could consider trying another RPI. Out of the current RPIs, Armageddon is probably least forgiving in terms of how often you are likely to die. However:

uses my old Atonement RPI Engine, which has a beautiful crafting system, and a number of feature improvements over ARM's engine, from a technical standpoint. It's pretty to look at, robust, and exactly what you are looking for in terms of crafting. SOI's current incarnation is currently taking place in Mirkwood Forest a few years before the beginning of The Hobbit movies, so outdoorsmen and hunters are prevalent. However, the wilderness is somewhat more forgiving than Armageddon's, and within the walls of the town itself, you are pretty much promised safety.

Additionally, their web-client for character creation is quick to use, and it takes their staff (generally) only a couple of hours to approve a newly submitted character. So, while it is an RPI like Armageddon, you may not find yourself waiting as long.

It's certainly worth a try to look at Shadows of Isildur and other RPIs, if the closest thing to what you want has been ARM. They're not identical aesthetically, they run on different engines, but they support pretty similar features and philosophies. Hope that helps.

Also, 4 Dimensions is a neat MUD. Always has been.

Last edited by DonathinFrye : 02-15-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: to add a link
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Belgarath

Avalon's sponsorship system isn't really about finding a personal sponsor or using them in any way - it's more about identifying with an organisation that you have some empathy with / share ambitions with and letting them sponsor you - the costs to the organisation for doing so are minimal and are based on player "reputation" which is naturally earned through being active in the game; because of this you are essentially self sufficient (i.e paying for your own sponsorship by being busy and active).

It's definitely worth looking into if farming, roleplaying, crafting and such are your gig; Avalon's economic system is truly peerless.

If you have any questions about it at all then feel free to PM me on here or log in and ask around - the community is very newbie friendly and will be very happy to help.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

We have your answer and that answer is Ateraan and here is why:
Try Ateraan, ask for a tour at the end of creation and enjoy the excitement of adventure, creation, intrique, and mystery!

Last edited by Newworlds : 03-09-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote