Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-26-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Asalyt

Asalyt is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hey,Anybody know what's up with Dartmud?if its running or not? Because well..I tried connecting but it said,and I quote,(I've always wanted to say that,heh) "Dartmud is not accepting connections from your site" what in the name of hillbilly hot sauce is going on? If you know anything,let me know..and just when I was starting to like it...

Wanderer,
Asalyt
Asalyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
It looks like you are attempting to connect from the same ISP as one of the cheaters we recently sitebanned.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Asalyt

Lightbulb

Seriously??? .....how do I change my ISP? I mean I've never cheated on a MUd before..nor will I ever..so..is the ISP like a terminal specific thing?because nobody used my computer except me...
Old 09-27-2003, 12:47 PM   #4
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
ISP = Internet Service Provider, its like AOL and Earthlink. Maybe tried to contact the MUD's Admin or what ever they are called and see if they can set up an account for you. Then all you have to do is log in.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
FortFakeName

FortFakeName is on a distinguished road
the pilfer command doesn't work in dartmud
FortFakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
I just heard of an ingenious method of allowing players that you know are alright to get past a site ban. Instead of banning the site outright, you don't allow new characters from it, and you delete the cheater's account. Just thought to spread this idea, since I think it's a much better alternative.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
JilesDM

JilesDM is on a distinguished road
We already do that for certain ISPs.

Re: FortFakeName
It works.
JilesDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Ogma

Gee, Eagleon, why didn't we think of making our security that configurable.? Your superior wisdom is amazing!

Oh, wait. We did. And the reason that Asalyt isn't able to log in is because he's been trying to connect with unregistered characters.

Asalyt: Try submitting a registration by going to our website. Then leave me a message here and I can unblock that character.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
Asalyt

Arrow

Old 09-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #10
Asalyt

Unhappy

Oh btw, I had a question:
Anybody here play pay-per-plays? If so,are they actually worth me sending a whole money order(I don't believe in credit cards.) just for a month's game time?

Let me know,
Asalyt
Old 09-27-2003, 11:59 PM   #11
Ogma

Okay, you should be able to connect now.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:43 AM   #12
Eagleon

Eh, what's up with the snappy comment? I couldn't be sure if you did it or not, nor did I say that I was wise in any way. I specifically said that I heard of this from someone else, and I'd never have thought of it myself. Attitude check anyone?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:50 AM   #13
JilesDM

JilesDM is on a distinguished road
Perhaps we were mistaken, Eagleon, but the fact that that kind of flexibility is a basic feature in most (LPMUD) ban enforcement engines that we've seen juxtaposed with your use of the word "ingenious" led us to read your post as being rather sarcastic.
JilesDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #14
Eagleon

It was most definately not sarcastic. Sorry if it came off that way, but all I know is that on most MUD's I've seen, site bans are a problem for legitimate characters, and this is not known as a solution.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:13 AM   #15
The Vorpal Tribble

The Vorpal Tribble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Vorpal Tribble
Eagleon, in my oppinion you didn't come across in any way sarcastic.

Chill fellows.
The Vorpal Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:47 AM   #16
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Heh, you guys should try the thing we are implementing. It is called COVENTRY and it completely blocks all output from an annoying player. They can walk around and do stuff as usual, but whatever they say or do, the other players just don't see it, so naturally they ignore them completely.

To themselves everything looks perfectly normal, so they have no idea what is happening. And pretty soon they get so bored with not getting any responses to their trolling, that they give up and find another mud to harrass. No need to waste a ban on their site either, which could block potentially good players out.

It's perfect for a certain kind of Twinks.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #17
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I've played a few pay-to-plays. A couple run by Simutronics, and Inferno, which is run by Ice9.

I think it depends on what you want from your gaming experience. Pay to plays have some features that other games might not have, but you find them exchanging those features for other things that free games do have.

Pay to plays need to cater to the majority, in ordered to make a profit. Free games need to cater to the intent of the creator, without worrying if anyone has a problem with their vision.

If you're into lots of verbs, many of which do very silly things that make little or no IC sense, then I'd go Simu. They have games with lots and lots of people, pretty good room descriptions and some damned interesting areas and spells for magic types. Unfortunately they have no engagement system whatsoever. Roleplay is only optional and not required, and PKing is only allowed if the IMM watching it decides it's allowed. There's no hard-fast rule about it, and someone might get banned from the game for killing someone who attacks them, while another person who goes on a killing spree might be allowed to stay.

Inferno is far superior regarding roleplay and they have an engagement system, and their descriptions are awesome. Unfortunately their player base is small, and I doubt their turning enough profit to stick around for too many more years.

I don't see too many free games that I like, but I've found one that has almost everything I want in my gaming experience, so I'm sticking here.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #18
Asalyt

Dartmud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DartMud Adarkts Advertising for Players 22 09-09-2003 11:23 AM
The people behind DartMud? Realedazed Advertising for Players 3 06-27-2002 01:48 AM
The people behind DartMud? Realedazed Roleplaying and Storytelling 2 06-26-2002 10:55 PM