Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 06-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Well on my humble quest to continually check out new games for any new groundbreaking additions i usually check games on these vote lists etc.

Now i stumbled into the game "Imperian" that has over 200 votes here. When logging into their game i found out that their amount of players (as i could tell by using "who", which normally lets you see the players, or the amount of players online the game) was around 3 online at that time. Will check back later to watch more.

How on earth have they gotten 200 votes with a game that at times have no more than 5 players online?

(No offense against their game or their creators, it actually looks fine.)
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
While I think the vote system is a good idea, it is - in some ways - broken.
As it is, you can't tell from a vote count whether a vote is given to
1) a good mud site, which 'top mud sites' suggests as this sites' target,
2) a good and popular mud with lots of players, who vote by own free will,
3) a less popular mud which has a dedicated staff of 10 immorts, who vote everytime they get a chance, or
4) a mud who actively encourage(*) their players to vote for them.

I've stated in some earlier messages that having a list of top mud sites is a good idea, but this isn't a list of top mud sites. It's a list of muds fulfilling the above criteria.

Welcor

(*) I don't mean "if you don't vote for us, yu'll get thrown off the mud", more like "remember to vote for us at tms, and then come get some free eq". Enough to shift the balance, IMHO.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure when you logged on, but as of now there are 70 people on-line. Of these 70, just a small handful have to vote to get the 200 votes Imperian has received in the past week.

I've been curious about Zebedee personally. I've seen them with less than 20 players during peak hours, and their votes are usually in the top 10 or 15.
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
Hephos

Ok my bad. Appearantly you can't see all the people who is online the game when you are in their "tutorial" thing.

They probably have a large enough pbase to support those votes then, sorry all.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
No, you can't while in the tutorial, but if you just connect to Imperian you'll see a line on the intro screen telling you about how many people are currently logged in.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Hephos

Old 06-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I'm unsure exactly how Imperian's newbie intro works, so I dunno. It could be because newbies start off on a different continent or plane, and generally in our games communication and things like the 'who' list are limited to the plane and continent you are currently on.

Perhaps the 'who' list should be global though, so as to avoid confusion. I'll suggest it to Imperian's producer. Thanks!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #8
Tamsyn@zebedee.org

Tamsyn@zebedee.org is on a distinguished road
On Zebedee, we used to have a reward system where players would receive xp whenever they registered a vote. This was since outlawed by TMS and we have removed it. However, players became aware of the site and it's usefulness in attracting new players, and thus are keen themselves to keep us in the top slots. They get quite excited about it especially when the list resets and you don't need x squillion votes to be first.

Some of our players only log on for a few minutes a day, but even they still vote. It doesn't take that many players to keep your total quite high, if they vote every day by routine.
Tamsyn@zebedee.org is offline   Reply With Quote