Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 05-03-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
Albion

Albion is on a distinguished road
Heya all,

What happens in your particular MUDs when your character dies? In mine, we are prohibited from re-entering the game for 10 minutes, and there is a random chance of "uses" being added to a skill. To explain, we increase skills buy "using the skill" until no more uses are required to train to the next level. For example, if ya are level 5 in sharp weapons, ya need to "use" the skill - i forget the actual number but lets say - 500 times. If you die, you may get uses tacked on - eg you now have to use the skill more to advance.

Soooo, to make a short question long ::snickers:: how does your MUD do the death thing?

Thanks,

Albion
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Falconer

Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
The Cathyle Project is a permanent death environment. When a character dies (and if this death is justified through in character means), they're gone. No chance of ressurection, no rebirth or assigning skills to another 'name'.

It may seem harsh, but in the end a permanent death system increases the intricacies and intrigue of a world in amazing scale. Suddenly, in character actions have in character consequences and the players behind the characters begin to realize that every action they make will have some effect upon the rest of the world (and thus the playerbase.)

By keeping our system as permanent death we also open the door for intricate plots. Characters with rank can be assassinated by their secondaries, long-term opponents fight with an edge and the emotional pathos regarding grief and loss becomes all the more tangible.

This is not to say we don't reward the player for their time spent. Players who have shown an ability and skill at roleplaying and loose a character are given the option of creating characters that are not open to new players. Nobles, characters with active or latent talents in sorcery, or other traits.

Many players avoid games that have character death's as permanent events, but I've yet to find an alternative system that matches the majesty.

Best,
Edward Falconer
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Death is a permanent condition on my game too, although not without the potential for future roleplaying possibilities. When you die, you can either get your character @nuked and move on, or go to the Realm of the Dead, a ghost world for the unfortunate victims of fate.

Realm of the Dead denizens can't interact with the living, but they can RP with each other (and they aren't governed by the rules quite as strictly as regular PCs are).

But most folks, even if they keep their character in the Realm of the Dead, still apply for new characters - because it's much more fun to stay involved with the living.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 02:40 AM   #4
Falconer

Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
Interesting choice on the Realm of the Dead, Brody, and one that I hadn't considered. Out of curiousity, how active is the roleplaying in the realm? Do you find that many players log-on their spirits to interact or has it rather deluged into a (pun intended) ghost-town?

Best,
Edward
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 03:49 AM   #5
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Very interesting topic here.

I have considered several ways of handling death at my place.

Perma-death was the only option I didn't immediately throw out of the window. But, the question was, how to handle perma-death?

After I thought about it for awhile, I've came up with a few systems that handle all my complaints nicely.

#1: You have a 'reputation' based on in-game actions. If you attack a mob, normally the mob will only knock you out and such. However, if the reputation is different enough, the mob can (and will) kill you. Perma-death.
#2: If two players fight, depending on the fighting style each player uses, and weapons they use, they can do anything from stun to kill their opponent. Some styles can simply only kill - that is the only reason for their existance. I use a system similar to Edward's here - tried and true RP'ers, in my account system, will get a 'Fame' setting. You can only gain some things with a _new character_ via said Fame setting.
#3: I am implementing family trees, with full families and genes and such. I _want_ people to die, to encourage people to have children. Magical traits can run in families. Hell, lines of lycanthropy can even exist! There is so much possibility in this code, involving genes and such, that it makes me drool. There is also extreme incentive to bring in new blood - different talents in new lines. And, even more incentive to bring in _old_ bloodlines - More of a chance to get talents, and such.

I babble. Basically, perma-death is just that. Death.

However, there is one escape. Serve the 'demon'/'dark lord'/insert title here. No one ever goes evil in any RP MUD I play. I figure I may as well give them great incentive to do that - If they have served him well, they can 'come back to life' in a new body.

Should prove interesting, neh?

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:37 AM   #6
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
Cool

Well, on Seasons of Almadyn, we don't have a perma death system since we figure the one irl is bad enough. The way we do things (or will I hope) is this following:

* when you die, all items in your inventory tack onto your
corpses.
* your corpse cannot be looted for a certain amount of time
that the game handles, usually 10mins
* you may give players permission, once you have prayed to
return to life or have been resurrected by a cleric, to loot
your corpse. Usually, it's a friend or someone trusted so
they may return your equipment, so there is risk involved.
* upon death you lose 1% of your total exp, it's burned from
your soul. (we use free and total exp system)
* you lose 2% of your free exp if your pray or 1% of your free
exp if you are resurrected by a cleric.

I think that's it it =)
~ Grey (frozen)
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:46 PM   #7
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Activity varies. If actually schedule events in the ROTD, the dead will show up. Otherwise, people are usually too busy playing their live characters to keep playing the dead ones.

Which leads me to the likelihood of deactivating the ROTD in the near future - not merely because of RP inactivity, but because some players have serious OOC issues, refusing to let go, trying to come up with ways to resurrect their favorite dead character ("Can I be cloned?" is a common request).

I created the ROTD about a year ago with the intention of softening the blow on people who become devoted to their characters - but I think, in some ways, it is crueler to keep those shades hanging around, tempting them.

So, I may be returning to a strict permadeath mode soon.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote