Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 08-27-2002, 12:32 PM   #1
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Unhappy

I'm kinda interested in working with MUDs. Like coding or building or whatever. This might sound like a dump question, but I'm like a total newbie when it comes to this side of MUDding. All I do I log on and play. So I have a few questions about the terms used:

I figure a coder works with the hard code or programming of a MUD? Am I right?

So, what exactly does a builder do?

What's the difference between the codebases? I never really took the time to see which type of codebase my favorite MUDs run on, so I can't really tell the difference between them.

Okay, that's basically it for now. Feel free to throw in any other info you might think is useful.

Thanks in advance
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Rjakegel

Rjakegel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Rjakegel
Well, the coder does write/edit code for bug fixes and creating new code for new skills and such.
A builder creates the areas by writing room descriptions, writing mob descriptions and setting mob specs like difficulty and mprogs, and creates items like weapons and eq and food, etc.
Building is a lot easier than coding because it is more basic, and it would probably be easier for you to get a building job before you would become a coder for a MU*.
Rjakegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:44 PM   #4
Ingham

Another major difference between builders and coders is, is that a good builder works with a very healthy imagination. A good coder works with a good sense of math.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
Lotius

Lotius is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lotius Send a message via AIM to Lotius
Lotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:55 AM   #6
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
TG_Hammar

TG_Hammar is on a distinguished road
There is more to the differences between builders and coders than is readily obvious.  My example is:  what do you take away (in terms of skills, knowledge and experience) after you leave the MUD.

Builders:  You will obviously advance your spelling and grammar skills once you master the art of area building.  If you are a really good builder, you will have inserted a kernel of inspiration in your mind that will feed your creativity and imagination for years to come.  The key here is to be a good builder, and not just the average newbie builder who routinely makes spelling and grammar goofs and could care less.

Coders:  You will learn (if you have not already) all of the dynamics of altering huge chunks of code and the adverse effects that can result from even the most minor adjustment.  Your analytical mind as well as your technical abilities will increase.  You will most likely spend more time as a troubleshooter and bug hunter than as a creator and as a result learn what not to do and how to make troubleshooting easier (ie. documentation).  It is possible you will learn and experience all of this and never have a paying job that is coding related but the experiences and knowledge will help keep your mind sharp.

In my opinion building has a much faster turnaround for rewards and enjoyment + all of the results are more visible.  A coder may work for months updating or modifying bits of networking code that most players may never notice or appreciate.  I appreciate coders and what they do.  Coding is very hard WORK (dirty, dirty word).  I build because I want to have FUN and I truly enjoy building.
TG_Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote

MUD Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Questions Dovolente Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 07-03-2006 10:54 PM
A few simple questions HJFudge Newbie Help 2 05-13-2006 05:44 PM
Several thoughts and questions Soleil Tavern of the Blue Hand 19 04-07-2006 01:20 PM
Design Questions Cyrrhus Advanced MUD Concepts 7 10-27-2004 06:09 PM
Codebase questions resonant MUD Coding 5 04-28-2002 12:40 AM