Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 06-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #41
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I agree with Molly on this one - your post seems to be little more than spiteful retribution against Synozeer's decision.

Try to put yourself in his shoes. If there was a nasty bug on your mud, would you want the player who found it to email you with the details? Or to post it on your muds discussion forums so that all players could exploit it?

I think showing a little more respect might be appropriate.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #42
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

This is false. The script would be trivially easy to guard against if it posed a problem.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #43
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
What annoys me is the inanity of it all. It's not going to change Achaea's position as always #1 or #2 just like ceasing to reward people who voted didn't change a thing.

Oh, I'm also informed by Synozeer that thanking your playeres for voting is illegal because a thank you is a reward.
--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #44
the_logos
Legend

We used to work hard to fight against scripting in combat in Achaea. We eventually realized that as there is no possible way to stop it (at least not in ways that don't also screw over people who aren't using scripts and auto-responses), we may as well embrace it. Before the realization, we tried to keep the "exploits" regarding scripts off the boards. Now, we don't care where they're discussed? Why? Because I'm not up for tilting against windmills.

The fact is, people are using the script and unless Synozeer implements something that makes people enter a little code upon voting, ala Yahoo registration, there's nothing he can do about it.

And, in any case, he said the script was ok as long as it's run entirely by players.

--matt
Old 06-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #45
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
While it is okay for it to be run entirely by players, it should not be promoted by the muds themselves. Posting the voting code in a public forum wasn't the best move when trying to make people vote legitimately.

On another note, some think it would be "easy" to prevent these scripts from working. That's incorrect. Here's why:

1. I'm not a programmer (I dabble with coding, that's all).

2. New scripting changing will come out to defeat the safeguards I would have put in place, thus forcing me to constantly tweak the code, run tests, do research, etc. I simply don't have the time for this.

3. I can have a say on how the muds work with voting, but I don't have a say with the players.

Remember when I made the ruling a while back that muds couldn't offer incentives? One of my hesitations was that it was going to require a lot more of my time to police. You guessed it, it does, and I find that I don't have the time (or inclination) to spend X hours a week researching accusations. That's why I do nothing about it anymore unless I'm sent proof, links, logs, etc. I allow those making the accusations to do the research rather than I. Helps weed out the large amount of "I know they're cheating - there is no way they could get that many votes" emails that I get.

Adam
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #46
the_logos
Legend

Perhaps yet another rule change is in order then, as if it's legal for a player to do I hardly see how it's illegal for a mud to encourage players to do what's legal.

I'd say you'd need a rule making the practice by players illegal (though they can't be caught), and then yet another new rule banning muds from encouraging players to do anything illegal.

And then we'll need some official interpretations regarding what constitutes encouraging. For instance, what if the mud has links on its website to websites that link to pages that include the script? Is that officially encouraging?
--matt
Old 06-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #47
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

In regards to the technical and time points you raised, you have an entire community of capable coders here. I'm sure at least one of them would be more than happy to help out if you requested =).
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #48
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
One more thing about scripts and links to vote placed in the mud itself:

If you adapt some logical thinking to the mechanics of the list, I think you'll realize that it is not at all in the interest of a Mud owner that the players, who vote by clicking a link from his/her own site, (or even from inside the mud itself as some apparently do), actually VISIT this webpage. Quite on the contrary; they would prefer it if the player just clicked the link and got the voting over with as soon as possible, preferably without even looking at the list.

Why? Because obviously they have already GOT that player, since he/she voted from their mud. So they have absolutely zilch to gain by the player starting to  browse the list. Because if they do, they might just become curious enough to try out another mud, and maybe even find that they liked that one better than the one they originally came from.

The only 'traffic' to the page that the Mud owners are really interested in is the one that comes to the site by OTHER routes than their own voting link, for instance through search engines, because those are potential new players for them. Obviously they are also interested in their own position on the list, because these potential new players are very likely to first choose from the muds on the top of the list.

Hence the last line on the script that started this thread, which closes the window immediately upon voting.

And this is also why I think it would be interesting to know if any of the existing voting links from inside muds have this same 'feature' too. Maybe someone should check that out, because if this is the practice, that too is something that should be outlawed.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #49
gth

gth is on a distinguished road
An advertiser's possible perspective:
----------------
Let's say I advertise on TMS.

I pay money for a banner, and examine the statistics links that are on offer about how many unique visitors there are to the TMS website. My confidence grows, knowing that large numbers of people will see my banner - until I stumble across this 'one-click voting' thread...

It is here I find out those statistics don't mean squat -- my banner isn't even being seen by any of those script-kiddies... and that leaves a rather bad aftertaste.
-----------------

I don't want to raise advertising in general as a major derailment of the topic, however anyone who pays for advertising may understandably think the statistics of 'unique visitors to the site' are inflated with people who vote-and-close without even viewing the page.

Hopefully most of those same advertisers realise that TMS is going to have some statistical skew since they *are* a ranking site. Anyway, just figured the vote-and-close mentality should bear in mind the TMS income stream.

*goes back to lurking*
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #50
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
I think this is a patently specious argument in that we all know any MUD that spams players with vote reminders every few seconds and places vote reminders in room descriptions would not be a MUD that survives for long or could possibly retain any new players. My point was simply that it makes sense not to remind players to vote if they have already voted. I disagree with your opinion that this dramatically "skews" results, but I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Assuming this isn't an "outlawed" practice, would allowing a player to configure a vote reminder to not remind him or her if he has already voted be acceptible? In other words, it would be player controlled and not admin controlled, yet part of the MUD system. This seems like a practical compromise to me if anyone is interested in compromise positions.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #51
Aardwolf

Aardwolf is on a distinguished road

It is important to clarify - what I listed is nothing more than a 'remind me in 12 hours' timer. It has no visibility of whether or not a player has actually voted.

I *think* what you suggested still cross-references the clicks on your vote button with player ip addresses - but only if they opt-in for it. Not that I think yours is a bad idea, I just want to make sure that if what we do is deemed "outlawed", it is done fully understanding what we're doing and not lumped in with any ban on checking player ip addresses against web logs.
Aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #52
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
This is where we're at currently while I wait until this thing dies down and Synozeer comes up with a definitive ruling.

Since I didn't want to bother tearing out the entire system when the issue doesn't quite seem to be settled, I added in a simple toggle instead; this way, players can turn the voting reminders on and off as they so choose.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:00 PM   #53
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure he's already come up with a definitive ruling on this, and the rules page has already been updated.
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #54
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Forgive me if I'm dense, but I don't think there is a definitive ruling.

The rule states, "You cannot display different messages based on whether someone voted or not, or reward a player for voting by not showing messages."

The grey area is whether it is outlawed to allow players to configure voting reminders, including configuring said reminder not to remind that player if he or she has already voted. Therefore, it is the players who are choosing not to have a message displayed based on how they configured their voting options. It seems to me that this is allowable under these rules, and keeps to the spirit of the rules in that the rules appear to be aimed at allowing players to remind themselves (or not) however they wish without interference, pressure or incentives by the MUD itself.

Anyway, that's my interpretation, and apparently others appear to interpret that rule likewise. If there's general disagreement, then I don't think it is completely out of line to ask for clarification.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #55
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
I think it's best to keep the automated voting reminders that differentiate whether someone voted or not separate from the mud. If it's allowed, I can see muds then setting the default for it to be on. If not that, then muds might spam reminders to turn the default voting reminder on until it's turned on.

I'd rather not open up the door to another whole subsection of rules, so let's just say mud reminders that work based on whether someone voted or not are not allowed, regardless of whether the player opted to show them on a mud or not.

However, if you want to have mud reminders that don't work differently when someone votes or not (for instance, showing a message every hour even if you voted), that's fine.

Adam
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:47 PM   #56
Crom

Crom is on a distinguished road
This all shows the futility of competing against pay-to-play muds who have a financial interest in being within the Top 10. The mud I'm involved in (AVATAR), encouraged players to vote for a few months to see how hard it was to be there and it was tiresome to all involved.

Although the system is quite cool and being listed as a top site draws additional players to our mud, I'll leave it to you folks. Achaea is quite right in stating that his playerbase is free to do what they want until it is changed. Like anything, unless there is code to prevent it...rules will only be followed by those who care.

- Crom
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:01 AM   #57
the_logos
Legend

No need to be speculative about this. I'm the biggest advertiser on the site right now, and I have statistics on how many people sign up for Achaea and cite Topmudsites as where they heard about us.

Keeping in mind that we regularly purge our database of inactive characters (which may mean inactive for as little as two days if that character has little playing time), we have 143 characters in our database that were created in the last 7 days that heard about us from TMS. 346 in the last month. 548 in the last 90 days. 1142 in total. 347 of those from the total are customers.

Stats for Imperian and Aetolia are about the same, proportionally, given the difference in size between Achaea and the two of them.

In short, there is nothing at all wrong with viewers coming from TMS. It's a fantastic source of focused traffic.

--matt
Old 06-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #58
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Well as I pointed out in another thread, you wouldn't spam the newbies - you'd wait until people had been playing for a while and then start spamming them. Some of the larger muds are able to pressure players into buying expensive donation equipment - persuading them to vote twice per day would be simple by comparison.

Which at first glance is a perfectly reasonable idea. The problem is that it opens so many new doors to abuse.

It skews the results because a much larger percentage of the playerbase are likely to vote, simply to get rid of the spam. Thus a mud with a smaller playerbase might end up with a far higher ranking than one with a large playerbase, simply because the latter mud doesn't pressure the players into voting.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:49 AM   #59
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
Perhaps it is time to start considering ranking pay-for-play MUDs on a separate list from the free ones...
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #60
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Okay, for the record -

Even though I still think it's a shame that an innocuous (and, in my opinion, ethically legitimate) usage of vote tracking such as ours was caught in the crossfire here, I've updated our code to comply with Synozeer's new rule clarification. Our voting reminders are no longer dependent on TMS vote tracking - and I will probably leave in the recently-added tweaks allowing folks to toggle the reminders on and off, for good measure.

T.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote

One-click Zmud voting. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zmud/Cmud help lovechiefs Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 01-31-2007 01:20 AM
Getting a MUD icon in zMUD - Last day! Ntanel MUD Announcements 2 02-23-2005 03:13 PM
zMUD Enzo Newbie Help 4 08-29-2004 03:05 PM
Gmud or zmud? seekjourn Newbie Help 1 06-11-2003 01:56 PM
Just click it... AlazlamBL Advertising for Players 0 06-18-2002 09:57 AM