Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > MUD Reviews
Click here to Register

Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Geijon

Geijon is on a distinguished road
Gemstone IV

I started playing Gemstone IV (III at the time) in 1995 after following an AOL banner and for years I played as a regular probably up until 2001 through 2003 a bit more sporadically until I quit largely because I was playing MMOs like EQ, WoW, and later FFXIV, but after some big developments along game storylines I returned in 2008 for a bit then into 2009 until I played regularly again since 2010. I haven't regretted it for a second.

MMOs simply don't capture the same mood, sense of character, community, and storytelling in MUDs and Gemstone IV has been the richest one I've ever come across.

The staff has been amazing these past 5 years and really have amped up their work this year with a f2p option to experience the immersion and bolt on mechanical pieces as you learn while continuing a record pace for events, merchants, and big story arcs.

Our players I think have responded with a flurry of work on our

If you play MUDs you really should know about Gemstone IV and have tried it out once. Chances are you'll be impressed.
Geijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Malifax

Malifax is on a distinguished road
Re: Gemstone IV

I played GS III from late beta up through the early-90's. The combat mechanics were great, in large part because they were based on Rolemaster. The game lost something for me when Simu parted ways with Iron Crown and published on AoL, but I still have an account there and stick my head in from time to time. I left GS to play a little known but what I think was a bit of a transformative game called Legends of Futures Past. LoFP was built by a group of former GS players who had become disenchanted with the game. I miss both games a lot.

In my opinion, game designers can learn a lot from Gemstone (GS III, at least). It was a near perfect blend of character building and socialization with a set of genius mechanics (whether intended or not) that forced players to congregate in one place.
Malifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Ginger

Ginger is on a distinguished road

I played Gemstone way back in 90's and had stopped playing some time before they went onto AOL. I originally left Gemstone to play Legends of Future Past which was most excellent. The role play, the combat, the crafting and GM events were great. I had so much fun. I still miss that game today.

I went back to Gemstone in the early Naughts, but as I moved to Europe, it just was not the same. Time Zone issues seem to be the bane of my mud search existence. Not many players playing in Platinum time. But I hear they are F2P now, which is interesting. I may just go and check them out again.

But Legends of Future Pasts was the best.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Malifax

To me, the genius of LoFP was how the game itself encouraged role-play. During my time there, it was the players who pushed the action and generated storylines simply by playing their roles. The conflict and intrigue was amazing. Too fun. Legends could have been as big as GS if Radoff had paid any attention to it.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Ginger

Yes, totally too fun! I have never gotten into so much intrigue since. I especially liked how at some point, you had to learn new spells from other characters.

I am looking at Gemstone 4 again. But I just do not know how to get back in with my old characters so I suppose I have to make a new one. It has been so long that I am not attached to the old ones anyway.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Malifax

Well, keep your eyes open. I'm in the process of developing a game with a similar narrative to LoFP and mechanics based loosely on old RM. My goal is to recapture the atmosphere of spontaneity that existed in Legends.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Ginger

Well, that certainly sounds interesting. I will. But for now, Gemstone 4.