Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 07-06-2002, 02:55 PM   #1
Shadow

Shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shadow
Unhappy

I am planning to run a mud off of my computer with a cable internet connection.  I need to find a compiler that can compile a mud , but can also be accessed by another coder from a different computer.  I looked ad RedHat Linux 7.3 (not even sure if it has remote access) and since its 900mb it turned me off. Id like to find a compiler that has remote access, but doesnt take up around a gig.  If there are none that dont take up a lot of space, could someone direct me to a compiler that at least has remote access?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 09:19 PM   #3
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
The compiler and remote access are really two separate issues. What you want is an operating system which will allow Secure Shell access (the sshd that Thelenian mentions). Just about any flavor of free Un*x will allow this. Red Hat is a good choice. There are many other distros of Linux which you can get: Debian, Slackware and SuSe just to name a few of the better known and well established. You can also try, FreeBSD, although I'm a Linux promoter.

There are a couple of freeware compilers and dev environments for Windoze systems which would allow you to compile a mud, Cygwin and DJGPP are the most popular. These are kludges at best, attempting to port Un*x tools and operating environment onto a Microsoft platform.

Almost all mud servers are developed on a POSIX system and depend on having the tools available to them from compilers and make progrmas clear down to the bash shell (command line interpreter).

One nice thing about one of the free Unices is that they are far less greedy for resources so you can run one on a system which is a few years old quite happily. You could even bring it up in a mode without the graphical desktop which is unneccessary for running a mud.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Compiler with remote access - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Karinthians: Don't Lose Hope on LoK Access Fern MUD Announcements 0 11-27-2006 01:43 PM
access to crafting Terloch MUD Coding 3 09-12-2003 11:42 PM