Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
WagesofSin

WagesofSin is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm looking for a Sci-fi MUD. haven't really heard of many.

I like to have both Roleplay and good game mechanics(I know those two usually don't go together). If it's nothing but Roleplay and "tavern talk", I don't want it. I want to be able to go out and blast a few aliens once in a while. I guess I want a good balance between numbers and RP.

People. It needs to have a good amount or people playing. During non-peak times I'd like at least 10 people on.

Any suggestions?
WagesofSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
You could always try out 4 Dimensions. Our theme is Time Travel, so there are 4 different sections. But our futuristic section is pretty big, about 3000 rooms, apart for the big spacegrid, which is around 3000 rooms too. I'd say both our zones and the code are pretty original, challenging and funny and offer a lot of features that not many muds possess.

We have some interesting game mechanics, for instance long range weapons, public spaceshuttles to most planets, and also spaceships that you can fly yourself and engage in space fights with other ships. And lots of planets, with different natural assets, where the enterprising traveller can make a small fortune just by exploiting them. Unless of course they prefer to blast the aliens, rather than trading with them.

To get an idea what our Galaxy looks like, you can checks the graphic MAPS on our website.

Roleplay isn't enforced in our mud, so not all players do it. However there are some pretty good roleplayers around, if you just keep an eye open for people with the RP flag.

The atmosphere is generally relaxed, and there is usually some players around at any time of day to help newcomers getting along.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I recommend OtherSpace. We've got roleplaying, multiple humanoid and alien races, spaceflight, trading and evolving story arcs. Our website is at and the game's telnet address is jointhesaga.com 1790.

Good luck in your hunt!

(P.S.: The moderator should probably move this thread to Advertising for Players.)
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Rundvelt

Rundvelt is on a distinguished road
Rundvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Actually, I've found the best game mechanics on RPI MUDs. Compared to them, most others look horrible and poorly designed.

The real problem, of course, is finding a good MUD. As far as science fiction MUDs are concerned, I share your grief. Been looking for a good one for years and haven't found anything that was half as good as I was looking for and come to expect from a great MUD.

If, by the odd chance, you do find one please post so those of us who are also looking can check it out.

Thanks and take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
Gemini

Gemini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gemini
i am currently playing a very fun futuristic/post apocolyptic MUD called ASSAULT: High Tech Wars. It is very diffrent from any MUD ive seen, For example its not :
You attack slime
Your slash injures Slime
Slime caused you no harm
Your slash injures Slime
Slime falls lifeless to the ground.

You control every shot from your gun/mech/tank/plane ect... Its purely pk, so its combat is rarely repeditive. You dont just fight for exp and get levels, you build a base with many choices in specelizations(labs). You must defend your base while attacking others, though many methods including nuke launchers, hacking their computer systems, hover tanks, bomber runs, ect... And all of that is done very well.

Though you said you wanted RPI, and there really isnt roleplaying. But i still highly suggest to you, and anyone else, even those that only play fantasy MUDs, like i did before i found this.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:55 AM   #8
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
I'm not amazed, since Medieval is the stock theme. You can't download any futuristic stock codebases, and most people don't bother modifying Midgaard enough, let alone the entire theme.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:28 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I think it's more than that - after all, most of the better quality muds have fantasy themes. Fantasy muds seem to have a greater following, but I suspect a big part of the reason is combat.

Combat plays a vital part of most muds, but most muds don't support ranged combat very well (if at all). A fantasy theme would typically use melee as the standard mode of combat, but for a sci-fi theme the main focus is almost always going to be on guns. And you really don't want the primary aspect of your game to be poorly supported.

That's my theory, anyway.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:22 AM   #10
Kastagaar

Kastagaar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kastagaar
There's certainly an element of truth to this. As technology has progressed through the ages, one can certainly observe that the aim of human warfare is to do the most damage from the point furthest from your enemy.

There are ways around this, though, via RP means. Consider a race that evolved with a strict code of honour, à la Klingons.
Kastagaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:21 AM   #11
prof1515

It comes down the intelligence and creativity of the players that play these games. If most of them are dumb kids without an ounce of intelligence or creativity, combat is going to be their main staple. Those that value the setting and concept more are going to appreciate something other than combat.

If there are more quality medieval MUDs, its only because there are more medieval MUDs. 99% of MUDs are total crap. If there are 1000 medieval MUDs, that means maybe 10 aren't total crap (and even then, they're not necessarily great, just not total crap). If there are only 100 science fiction MUDs, that number is maybe only 1 (again, the odds of it being great are just as slim). The result? 990 crap medieval MUDs, 9 average medieval MUDs, 1 good medieval MUD, 99 crap science fiction MUDs, and 1 average science fiction MUD.

Actually, projectile weapons in any science fiction MUD set on a space station or spaceship are a bad idea. Firing a projectile in a sealed environment? Heh, if you're looking to breach the hull and blow everyone out the hole perhaps. And there are perfectly legitimate ways to incorporate traditional weapons into science fiction (look at Dune). It just takes a well-developed concept, something nearly all MUDs lack, not just science fiction MUDs.

Take care,

Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
What a bizarre suggestion! A well-designed combat system should require careful planning, clever tactics, quick thinking and the ability to constantly adapt to new situations. Why would that appeal to "dumb kids without an ounce of intelligence"?

The 'setting and concept' only provides flavour, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay itself. Are you suggesting that stupid people like games of complex strategy, while intelligent people are more interested in cosmetic fluff?

Depends entirely on the setting - even in the real world there are bullets that can be used on aeroplanes without risk of a hull breach, so on a futuristic space station it shouldn't be much of an issue even discounting special technology. Of course weapons could also be banned, particularly if you're playing on something as controlled as a space station.

But the point still remains that ranged weapons are heavily associated with most sci-fi themes, while melee weapons are the main option for most fantasy themes. And regardless of your belief about strategy games only appealing to stupid people, the fact still remains that combat is the main focus of most muds.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #13
prof1515

Reread my post and point out where I say strategy appeals to dumb people. I mentioned combat. Combat and strategy are not the same thing. And there's more to intelligence than "careful planning, clever tactics, quick thinking and the ability to constantly adapt".

Setting up a good combat system does take a lot of planning and good design to implement, but ultimately, use of it falls to a limited number of variables which even a monkey could learn if given enough time. Elements of role-play are something which can't be coded in, which is why graphical games emphasize combat and are shunned by serious role-players.

There's a difference between learning mechanics or being devious and having the reasoning ability to justify the actions. Case in point on one of the MUDs I play. Every day some player comes along with a great way to abuse the game's setting and concept and kill something or steal something. They however do so at the expense of reason. Just because a person can do something in a game doesn't mean that they should, and very few can offer a rational reason for their actions. This is where setting is important.

The setting and concept only provides flavour if the MUD is seriously lacking in depth. If done properly, the setting is vitally important because it dictates what is and is not possible, as well as why things are as they are. Anyone in a MUD can kill something. The depth of the game's setting and concept however determine whether or not they should. That takes far more intelligence and creativity to implement than combat alone and more than what most players possess to put into practice and succeed. Hence, in games where there is more to combat than just strategy, players that plot and strategize as to how they'll succeed in combat often meet with frustration because while they're plotting and strategizing, they're doing so from a perspective in which they're ignoring the setting and numerous other factors.

Now, create a MUD where the goal is limited to something as simple as killing another player and setting becomes nothing more than window dressing. So yes, in that case, setting isn't important. Of course, neither are many other elements of a MUD (theme, room descriptions, object descriptions, mobile descriptions or even names). Strategy helps one succeed in this formula, but this isn't the normal type that most MUDs fall into.

Now, when it comes to science fiction as opposed to fantasy, it's easy to see why the latter is more popular when designing MUDs and role-playing games. Science fiction is rooted in principles of science. For example, why does a planet have gravity twice that of earth? Because it's mass is twice that of earth. But a lot of people are ignorant when it comes to understanding a concept like gravity, much less the difference between mass and volume (####, to many, volume is only a setting on their stereo). In order to create a good science fiction setting, one must carefully balance the fantastic with the scientific (this is why many consider Star Wars to be fantasy rather than science fiction). With fantasy, you can toss all that out the window and attempt to rationalize the inconsistencies. Of course, most who do this still manage to fail in creating a viable setting because rationalizing inconsistencies usually creates more. But, it's easier to simply say something will be so without explaining, or falling back on the crutch of "it's fantasy".

Very few are willing to invest the time and effort to create a fantasy world that isn't filled with such flaws (though some have succeeded), much less create a science fiction setting where the standards are often viewed as much higher. And most players aren't interested in being required to think so much as they are to type "kill this" and "kill that", earn experience points, and level.

You are partially right about the ranged weapons, but I don't think that's the only thing that stops them from creating a science fiction MUD. It's like Hollywood films. The summer blockbusters are almost always more successful and easier to bankroll because people will go see them. But thoughtful, intelligent films cater to a smaller audience. Same goes for MUDs.

Take care,

Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

I don't think this is quite an appropriate blanket statement: What if the space station or vehicle is sealed with super-indestructible force fields? Would a mere projectile such as a thrown dagger or bullet be able to penetrate a craft that is built with a reinforced alloy several meters thick?

Some sci-fi settings have weaponry that only reacts with biological targets. I know of one that shoots an invisible ray that causes perfectly normal folks to explode from the inside after a short 5-second delay. Completely harmless on metal, though. Honestly, if you're creating the setting you can do any #### thing you want. There is no reality here.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #15
Yui Unifex

Question

Games like Chess, Shogi, and Go are all centered squarely on forms of combat. But would you argue that these are all games that appeal to dumb people?

Combat can be stupid or it can be intelligent. It is a medium for a particular strategy to be played out just like anything else. I don't know how you can stand to point out what intelligent people would like when you're obviously not intelligent enough to understand this distinction.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #16
prof1515

Again, read the difference between fantasy and science fiction. Science fiction, good science fiction, is concerned with dealing with the question of why and how something can exist. Of course there is room for poetic license, but "super-indestructible force field" is one of those things that does't usually find itself into serious science fiction.

Again, nothing says that you have to or don't have to have ranged weapons in science fiction MUD. But not having them doesn't prevent one from creating a science fiction MUD. Failings in the ability to conceive a quality concept on the part of the creator or an inability to comprehend on the part of the players is why science fiction MUDs aren't attempted as often.

Good science fiction wouldn't concern itself with a person exploding from some death ray. Instead, it would likely concern itself with why the person explodes from a death ray in the context of the world. The how-it-happens would be there, not just the what-happens.

So, yes, you can do anything you want. But that goes with anything. The difference between quality and crap is how you do it, not what you do. I'm not certain that's a concept you understand.

Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #17
prof1515

Chess and many other strategy games concern themselves solely with strategy, not random dice rolls to determine damage points inflicted. Like my example of a great game designed around combat, they don't need a setting, nor do they need descriptions, or even names (note that all the pawns are just pawns). It's distilled down to what is necessary for the game. Sure, you can have the pieces look like medieval knights or Yoda as your King, but it has -no- bearing on the game. Furthermore, the players are pitted against each other with evenly matched pieces, allowing only strategy (or a failure of) to determine the outcome.

Most MUDS, on the other hand, utilize randomness like dice rolls on weapons, plus and minus checks, "spells" and such. This detracts from pure strategy and brings elements of randomness into the game. So, the comparison to Chess is not accurate.

As for intelligence, I've read many of your posts before. So tell me again, how black is the kettle?

Take care,

Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 02:47 PM   #18
Yui Unifex

Question

That's not what , a sci-fi author thinks:
I agree with him and not you. Now if you want to say it's just because I don't know good science fiction, I'll reply where you can shove your opinion -- because that's all it is at that point. Science fiction is fiction with a scientific slant. Nothing more.

Well it's a good thing we're writing games with science fiction themes and not serious science fiction. We're not going for Hugo awards, we're looking to build interactive entertainment.

Of course, but you said they were a bad idea on space ships and space stations. And I told you that you were ignorant of every setting that anyone could plausibly create -- even those with modern technology! -- so your blanket statements were simply wrong.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #19
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Science fiction is not concerned with dealing with the question of why and how something can exist. That is, in fact, why it's called 'science fiction' and not just 'science,' for the essence of science is determining why and how something can exist, whether that be mankind, a basic chemical reaction, or a supernova.

And please don't insist that the science fiction you happen to like is what constitutes 'quality' science fiction. It's just the science fiction you happen to like.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I'm curious what he thinks 'serious science fiction' is. Obviously the Hugo award doesn't cut it for him, given that the Foundation series (absolutely chock-full of the sort of over-the-top magic-science that he claims serious science fiction doesn't have, not to mention extensive use of telepathy) won a Hugo in 1965 for Best All-time Series.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote

Furturistic MUDS? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for RP MUDs Almondine War Advertising for Players 13 10-22-2005 02:07 PM
Top 20 muds Cayn Tavern of the Blue Hand 141 08-25-2004 12:30 PM
Any Muds? Asalyt Advertising for Players 6 03-10-2004 09:10 PM
RP Muds.....again Realedazed Advertising for Players 3 08-14-2003 10:43 AM
D&D Muds Muerte Advertising for Staff 2 06-26-2002 02:25 PM