Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-02-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Zane

Zane is on a distinguished road
Well in almost every mud I've seen so far you have only one or two classes that have the ability to summon and control things, Necromancers and Druids. And I find it a little boring really. Muds pride themselves on unique classes and races so why don't I ever seen something more interesting? Like demon summoners perhaps? Why only necromancers? Summoning the dead isn't really interesting, you have almost no chance of losing control over something with no will, but summoning demons would have a possibility of losing control.

I know I ran into one mud sometime ago with such a class, but I never had a chance then to look into the mud more and now I've forgotten the name. Anyone know of any muds out there with good summoning classes?
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
Ingham

Yes, why not?

Why no have something like angel cummoners as well?

Ow how about seraphim summoners?

Even better, how about summoner summoners?

Garden gnome summoners? Hey, garden gnomes can be pesky when angered!

Women summoners? Or women-with-pms summoners? (A whole new challange)

Or even better! Druid summoners or Necromancer summoners!

Why not throw in an Administrator summoner? Should keep em folks in control on their toes...
Old 09-02-2002, 08:10 PM   #3
Zane

Talking

Well didn't I just step on someone's toes.

Heaven forbid should I ever post something inflammatory, might cause an aneurysm.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
There's one game (that I know of - could be others) in which necromancy and summoning are two completely separate realms of magic.

Necromancy draws the power of darkness/light (depending on your character's alignment), and calls forth the power for attack, combat inhibitor, utility, and defensive purposes. Necromancy has the most healing type spells, including a mana-sucking "all wounds" healer that can restore/recreate a missing limb and even a missing head. It also includes the power to resurrect the dead. Not summon the dead, or zombify corpses, but resurrect - as in bring back to life (thus the term necromancy).

Summoning involves the creation of circles cast upon the ground, in which the forces of dark/light are mixed with the appropriate things (such as skinned body parts of specific critters and different fibers or gems or whatever), and then cast upon to draw forth a creature similar to what someone hunts, but more powerful. In addition, such a critter would be under the temporary control of the summoner, can backfire (causing horrible damage and/or death), and would have limited function (could be used against an enemy, but could also deliver messages).

These are examples of actual implemented spell realms of a particular game, and the magic system is complex and involves actual research (read: no "magic missile").

Then there's druidic, which calls forth the forces of nature/weather/animals, elemental, which uses the forces of the elements, and enchanting, which is more like an augmentation to weapon and armorsmithing and artisan skill (crafting wands and infusing specific magical spells in them, for instance).

Then there's void magic, which is only rumored to exist but is supposedly amazingly powerful and dangerous to learn.

Also in that game, "undead" are generally mob critters and considered evil by all alignments - and have no place in the magic system at all for player characters.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
Zane

Yes! That's something along the lines I mean, in muds you often have different forms of magic, yet they're all similar, more or less damage dealing spells, spells of protection, spells of this or that. Necromancers are a little different in some cases where they summon and control undead.

But why no, or very few, summoners? A class more focused on summoning creatures to do their work then dealing out damage directly. Is it hard to code something like this or is it just unpopular?

And if anyone knows where some muds have this type of class could you let me know? I would like to check them out.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Summoning is an extremely difficult magic realm to master in the game I refer to, which explains in *that game* why it is rare. I can't speak for other games, or other codes, because I've never seen it in others.

The game I refer to is a pay-for-play game, and it uses a custom code. I'd imagine using other critters to do your "work" for you would have to be balanced with some significant risk, or else it would be far too overpowering and everyone would do it, thus negating its significance in the game world.

Also, it isn't a class in that game. There are no classes, or professions, in that game. It's skill-based.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:51 AM   #8
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
As far as a class based around conjuring/summoning, the key things we've tried to explore in that direction is to make the beings called somewhat independent and free-willed. You can bring them to you, and make them stay, but they do their own thing, and you have to manage your relationship with them. Force your lesser archangel to kill innocents? Probably a bad plan. Letting your demon go hungry? Also bad.

If it's to be the focus of the class (we have a few classes that can keep beings around to help them, but one in particular that is structured around it), they need to be more than just things you can order around, otherwise the overhead of trying to control them all is annoying for the player.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:46 AM   #9
Seraph

Seraph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seraph Send a message via MSN to Seraph
If you're sick if the average summoning experience that every drawl mud seems to dish out. Try Aetolia or Achaea.

And go an Occultist
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 03:01 PM   #10
Zane