Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
I have an idea for using a "full grid" system that would have the whole mud in squares with non-enterable rooms being so because of obstructions which attempts can be made to climb up/down/fly/jump/etc. to overcome. Certainly not a new idea, but one I would like to attempt to work with.

Do any existing codebases make use of both coordinates and room based models? Preferably x/y/z styled.

Is this something I am going to have to code from scratch?
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You mean the world is layed out like a grid, with a room at every x/y/z position? That's how the majority of wilderness/overland systems work - there are very few which use true roomless coordinates.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Toraux

Toraux is on a distinguished road
The mud im currently developing works on that principle.  I have a large grid where I can place rooms (and a system to let me place rooms at x,y,z coordinates off of the normal grid and link rooms to them).  Unfortunately my code will probably not be released to the public, but im sure other muds use similar systems.
Toraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I am developing a mud that uses both coordinates and rooms - though not in the same fashion as what I understand you to mean. My mud will have rooms the same as many of the older style of mud where they are containers that can fall anywhere perse. And then each room will have it's own "coordinates" inside (more like a grid system inside). For me, this will allow portals to a specific "spot" within the room, blocked doorways/passages, etc.

If you mean your entire world is set up in a true x/y/z coordinate-based grid, and the rooms fall on those - as KaVir said most wilderness systems use that. I found many before when I was doing the research for my game. They are not hard at all to implement (well, the bounding system - movement and affect area - was hard for me, but it was probably just me).
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
World of the Dead uses a system which you are describing, and is SMAUG-based. As KaVir mentioned, it is not extremely difficult to do - though careful planning and designing can mean the difference between a bad interface and a cool one. My best suggestion is to use SMAUG(if you want something already existing and easy-to-use) and just take careful handling of your interface and the appearance of your grid/map. PM me if you'd like to take a look at World of the Dead's.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote

Coordinate AND Room Based Codebase? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partitioning a coordinate system? Burr Advanced MUD Concepts 2 01-30-2005 12:16 PM
Room count in LPmuds markizs MUD Coding 10 10-17-2003 03:31 AM
Repeating Room Descs Estarra MUD Builders and Areas 19 10-08-2003 02:31 AM
Room for Love SolViLune Tavern of the Blue Hand 4 10-06-2003 10:05 AM
Coordinate-based codebases and muds? Burr MUD Coding 3 05-16-2003 02:28 PM