Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-10-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
this section of the forum is realy getting spammed with all these polls, i think its time to create a new section of the forums Just For Polls, and ban all the polls from every other section.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:41 AM   #2
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
A simpler solution, that would keep polls in the forums where they belong, and keep the poll noise down is to set it so only mods can place polls, and if you want a poll placed you have to suggest it. If the mod feels it is appropriate, so be it.

That keeps from having polls that could be relevant from being shunted to a forum no one will care to check.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 06:40 AM   #3
Seraph

Seraph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seraph Send a message via MSN to Seraph
Thinking from an ease of reading point of view, having a separate forum for polls would defeat the purpose of having the other forums.

When you post a poll that has something to do with building, you post it in the Building section, so when people visit to ask or reply to questions its in there for them to vote on.

If there was a forum specifically for polls, I think there would be a decrease in the number of votes.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:31 AM   #4
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I support either of the suggestions from Xanferious or Orion, as long as the polls are taken out from the normal boards.

Personally I think they are spammy and mostly meaningless, because of the limited options you get in a poll. (In many cases you'd like to click all the choices - or none, so what's the use of the poll then?)

In the few cases when a poll thread actually has offered something of interest to the reader, it has been because of the verbal comments posted to it. And even in those cases the thread most likely had got more interesting input as a 'normal' thread, since I think many posters - like myself - avoid reading poll threads.

I'd really prefer it if polls were taken out completely, they just clutter up the main page and makes it harder to find the latest posts.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
Xanferious

i know what you mean molly, i get back from my vaction and all i see in the tavern is polls... I would also go with Orions idea it doesnt matter to me tho its just that polls are cluttering the tavern.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Wenlin

Wenlin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wenlin
Unless they have to do with the subject, like maybe "Which is the funniest mud prank?" and you list some examples in the Humor Forum, or maybe a poll in the coders forum asking the general difficulty of what you're trying to code or something (bad example), then yeah, a 'completely random polls' forum would be awesome, as I like answering the polls, but don't really like having to dig to get to the semi-smart topics in the tavern.

EDIT:

Look at that, someone made a poll in the builder's forum about...guess what, building! So add a poll forum to take the polls out of the tavern, but don't restrict it otherwise.
Wenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:08 PM   #7
Xanferious

! dont forget this poll!
Old 09-07-2002, 05:59 AM   #8
Santrilla

Santrilla is on a distinguished road
I disagree, Molly. Admittedly, one of the attractions of polls is the witty replies to them, but I also find it interesting to see how people react to questions. Polls can be a good way of discerning information from a majority.

A poll forum would be good, but Seraph has a point. There could be a forum designed for meaningless polls, and polls that are related to the topic could be put in their respective forums. Also, being made to request for a poll would prevent pointless ones from popping up.

Santa
Santrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
I vote yes, because I like the idea more then I don't. The thing about it though it that people will need to be speific on what type of poll it is. For example: Polls: Roleplay: How do I RP?
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:23 PM   #10
Ingham

A seperate poll forum is the worst idea I have ever heard, apart from this idea of getting a girlfriend, which is prolly worse...

make a poll forum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
poll() vs select() halkeye MUD Coding 1 02-05-2003 08:35 PM
$ Info, le Poll TG_Nek Bugs and Suggestions 80 10-20-2002 06:35 PM
Poll Feyona Tavern of the Blue Hand 18 09-14-2002 07:29 PM
Not a Poll Feyona Introduce Yourself 2 06-20-2002 05:07 PM
Poll Forum Dionae Bugs and Suggestions 1 05-24-2002 01:23 PM