Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-30-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
claudine

claudine is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

claudine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:48 PM   #2
Ingham

What on earth does the file "wizard.exe" do ?
Old 09-30-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
Quietude

Quietude is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's possible, but only for the Windows version -- although none of the graphic things will work, so the only real reason to use it is the scripting engine.  Note that I have no idea if this'll work with the latest version, if there is one; the last I tried it was a year or two ago.

Here's what you do:

1.) Make a shortcut for the Wizard and put it on your desktop.

2.) Go into the properties of the shortcut.

3.) Find the line "C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" in the properties.

4.) Replace that with "C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" /G/H/P

5.) After the G, put the code for the version of the front end you want to use (GemStone, DragonRealms, Hercules & Xena, or Modus Operandi).  The GemStone code is GST -- you'll have to guess at the rest, I don't know them.

6.) After H, put the IP address for the MUD you're trying to connect to.

7.) After P, put the port number for the MUD you're trying to connect to.  If it's Telnet, this is 23.

So, for example. . .

"C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" /GGST/H255.255.255.255/P23

(Ingham -- wizard.exe is Simutronics' proprietary MUD client.)

this space intentionally left blank

[edited 'cause I misspelled Ingham's name.]
Quietude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
SoulTorn

SoulTorn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to SoulTorn Send a message via AIM to SoulTorn Send a message via MSN to SoulTorn Send a message via Yahoo to SoulTorn
also uses the WizardFE.(As well as having their own FE and telnet-ability)

Fun game, based(loosely) on Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition.

$6/month for 8(?) characters, free-trial doesn't require a credit card.

Despite popular belief...Simutronics/DragonRealms bashing doesn't go on much(if at all).

It was started by Peter Souza IV after he(I believe) got 'the boot' from DragonRealms...but it was more a 'need more good options apart from DR' type of deal.

-Chris, erm...yeah
SoulTorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
Caledric

Caledric is on a distinguished road
Dragon's Gate by Mythic Entertainment also uses the Wizard FE
Caledric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
MelissaMeyer

MelissaMeyer is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, yes, SIMU owns it's version of the Wizard. Eaxia does not have the rights to use the Wizard. I'm assuming DragonsGate got thier version at about the time that Simu did ... but if so, it would be a different version of the Wizard than is currently used in DragonRealms.

SIMU received the rights to the software from AOL long ago and has since upgraded it substatially.

Melissa Meyer
Producer, GemStone III
MelissaMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:15 AM   #7
grezzler

grezzler is on a distinguished road
Actually I do not believe Peter was booted out of DR completely, from my understanding it was partly choice.  If I do recall correctly he was booted from DR Platinum for AFK scripting a couple times and then decided to leave after that.  We both played moon mage characters and hung out a bit during game play, he was a real nice guy.  I've not tried his game out yet, though when he was first starting it I popped in at his behest so he could show me around a little.  Glad to see he's still doing it.

Me.
grezzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:57 AM   #8
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
What do you mean by 'connection status'? I see that Wizard appears to be a proprietary mud client. What's the advantage of Wizard over other mud cilents?
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:43 AM   #9
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
The term connection status is used erroneously by the poster, though I suppose it could be correct in the literal sense, in that his connection status is activated by using one or another front end (client, GUI, etc.).

The Wizard is a beautiful GUI, with some really excellent graphics monitors for things like health points, your character's injuries and their severety, a mana meter/timer, a compass to show the direction in which your character is heading, and all sorts of other nifty things. All in really great colors, with a nifty frame surrounding the whole kebosh depicting the logo of the Simu game chosen and some dragon pics. It also allows for separate windows for different things such as their ESP channel, death messages, connection/server messages, etc.

It also comes with graphics and sound add-in bonus packs that are specific to the Simu games, so for instance if you walk to the troll hunting area, a picture of a troll might show up in the upper left and a specific spooky forest sound would start coming through your speakers. The "basic" Wizard file comes fully equipped with every tool showing up when you load it, but you can drag and drop or click and delete any of the tools if you aren't interested in using one or the other.

All these neat tools and graphics and things are designed to respond to the GSL code, and therefore have absolutely no function whatsoever in other games. So mostly it's just a pretty shell that you can create scripts and macros with, unless you're using it to play a Simu game.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:29 AM   #10
Ike

Ike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ike
i would like to try this out. which game uses this client?
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:20 AM   #11
MelissaMeyer

MelissaMeyer is on a distinguished road
GemStone III:
DragonRealms:
H&X: Alliance of Heroes:
Modus Operandi:

Someone here mentioned that Dragons Gate also uses it. (Quite a suprise to me.)

Melissa Meyer
MelissaMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:23 AM   #12
claudine

claudine is on a distinguished road
Arrow

claudine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #13
Ike

Ike is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ike
how about ones that use this client and i can play for free or a free trial?

actually a simple mpeg or movie of someone using this client would be suitable. i just want to see the client... not play another mud
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:58 AM   #14
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
The Simutronics games use the Wizard FE. Free 30 day trial on the games.
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #15
Caledric

Caledric is on a distinguished road
Hehe, you may have to go up to a higher level to find out Why Mellissa, but when the Wizard was originally designed on AOL it was designed to be used with several different games, Dragon's Gate, Gemstone III, and Dragon realms being the only 3 that actually survived and thrived with the FE. The fact that Simu later bought the source code and rights to it doesn't mean it was never developed for another mud as well.
Caledric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:52 AM   #16
Lovelorn

Lovelorn is on a distinguished road
I love this FE.  From my limited experience with other MUDs, which is beginning to grow thanks to this site, I find telnet or java access to be a pain.  I dislike ZMud only because I lack the tech know how to really use their capabilities to my best advantage...

I've been previewing or at least site hopping quite a bit since discovering TMS.  Probably the first thing to turn me off about any of the MUDs I've checked out has been their 'interface'.
Lovelorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Denna

Re: using wizard.exe

The directions here work, kind of. It does attempt to login to the mud but as the mud requests account name and password from the wizard it is timing out. Is there a way to include the account name and password like the ip address and port?