Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #61
UnderSeven

UnderSeven is on a distinguished road
The terms rp and rpi are truely becoming a gimmick. Look at almost any of the new mud posting and over half will claim being 'rp' or 'rp enforced' and some of the more ambious ones will even claim role play intensive.

Then there are those who play on muds like Armageddon and want their own term, so they don't have to sift through hundreds of muds claiming it to hook you only to be another hack and slash. Is it so wrong for muds to have some form of label for the more realistic rp experience driven games?

Then there are the non-arm rp muds (yes some exist) who see the people asking for their own term as elitists because they would seek to separate themselves from those muds. I won't name names, but based on the arguement on this thread, I think it's pretty plain whom I'm talking about.

My point? I think there should be a separate term because those 'rp elitists' will never come to accept muds that have certain features they feel don't fit. IT doesn't matter how much one tries to distort the terms, it ultimately comes down to what people are looking for.

I think this whole issue wouldn't be an issue if not for the term rp being the hip thing to tack onto any game. It's like they make the claim to draw people in, but in truth anyone looking for a certain kind of experience will or won't go a certain way reguardless of the claims once they enter the mud.

Perhaps another term wouldn't solve it. However arguing for the sake of justifying your own game or unjustifying someone else's game from a term is silly. There is defaintly a fair group of people looking for a certain kind of RPI mud, whom might benifit from using a term that would set them apart. But it would be up to them to coin it I think
UnderSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #62

I find it amusing that Armeggedon web pages explain that they are a MURPE.  And I distinctly remember playing on a game called Threshold that was called a MURPE and Armeggedon wasn't.   None of that matters.  You can call it what you want.  

I think that's the point.  "We own the term RPI and it means this, don't use it."

To which the only sane and rational response is...
*hahaha*  

And it's doubly amusing that there has to be sides, battle lines, and hidden
secret agendas.  You'd think this was one of those tin foil hat sites.  Not
that there's anything wrong with tin foil, maybe sometimes with the folks who
wear it.  

I agree with Aristotle.  I disagree with KaVir.
Big deal.  Next time it might be the other way around. *shrug*

Oh yeah I have a hidden agenda too.  I want to fool all the Armeggedon
players into migrating to Harshlands, all the Harshland players into
migrating to Dartmud, all the Dartmud players into migrating to Threshold
and all the Threshold players into migrating to Armegeddon.  That's
step one of the master plan.  And then in the midst of the confusion I
release a game that has an 12-letter acronym associated with it that's
really fun to say, except in front of mom.  Finally I harvest all these
confused players, and feed the implementors of the aforementioned muds
to sharks.. err maybe crocodiles.  There are others involved too.  Maybe
Achaea, Aardwolf, Medievia, maybe both KaVir and Aristotle, maybe Wolfpaw
and Kyndig, maybe IMC2/ICEMAN/I3 networks are involved, there's plots
within plots and double agents, triple agents.  Watch the right hand, and
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.  Maybe none of this is
true. Maybe Bill Gates is in on it with SCO and Linus Torvalds.  
Who knows... The truth is out there.  Where the smoking man?

Had enough babble?  Yeah, I agree me too.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #63
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Yui, you addressed the point nicely in your own post. If you believe that the game you play is primarily an intensive roleplay game, then of COURSE it fits the bill of RolePlayIntensive.

Now, Doom is also a graphics game. So I wouldn't look past that part of the game's description when looking for a new game, because while I DO insist on intensive roleplay, I also insist on text and not graphics.

Just like ASAP means "As Soon As Possible" - there is no law that determines what that means, other than "As Soon As Possible." It COULD mean - as soon as you're done mudsexing that chick because I know that's really important to you. It could mean - stop mudsexing and deal with this RIGHT NOW. It could mean - well as long as you handle it some time today, that'll be great. It could mean - okay - finish the mudsex, then get your coffee, and don't forget about the job interview tomorrow morning. When you get home from that, please deal with this situation.

RPI is just like that. It *IMPLIES* something but is not restricted to a narrow set of criteria. It is Roleplaying Intensive - which COULD also have graphics. and COULD also be pay-to-play, and COULD also allow resurrections, and COULD also involve a whole lot of hack-n-slash. Intensive is a subjective term, and up to the user to decide what is intensive to them.

As I mentioned in my previous post - someone who has never played ANY roleplaying game might find their first one intensive, even if it isn't to people who don't play it. People who have been playing Gemstone for years and have never tried other games would probably be quick to point this out to anyone who says otherwise.

My opinion stands - as it did the last time, and will in the future.
RPI means RolePlay Intensive. It might easily -imply- other things, but it only means that one thing, and anything that is Roleplay Intensive fits into the category whether anyone likes it or not.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #64
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #65
Jazuela

Old 04-18-2004, 02:41 AM   #66
Threshold
Legend

Old 04-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #67
Jazuela

Old 04-18-2004, 09:02 AM   #68
Threshold
Legend

Old 04-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #69
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
This is also the same point I covered a number of posts back.

If you agree that anything can be labelled as RPI (and by extention everything can also be labelled an RP mud), what is the value of having such a label? If every mud is allowed to label itself in any way it sees fit on its listing, then the mud listing becomes useless.

Moreover, as this is the roleplaying board, if every mud can be considered an RP mud then does that mean any sort of mud-related discussions are acceptable on this (the roleplaying) board? Would it be acceptable for me to start a discussion about playing the role of a warrior on a typical HnS mud, even though it would have nothing to do with what most people consider "roleplaying"?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #70
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #71
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

The crux of the arguments floating around in this thread is that there is no wrong definition.  The term means anything we want it to be, so long as it makes sense within the context of the acronym.

When I play Doom, I assume the persona of the marine and interact with the world as such.  Primarily by blasting monsters back to the netherworld.

Anyway, I am in agreement with KaVir.  The result of these arguments is that RPI, RPG, and any other categories such as 'Action' or 'Adventure' are essentially useless terms.  We could abandon them and think up new terms, but they would likely also be as ambiguous as these, leading to similar problems.  Can anyone think of an unambiguous, non-cumbersome term for the sorts of "role-playing" environments we're talking about?
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #72
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
We could just blow it off and stop bitching.

RPI RPG MMORPG MURPE MOO Moo{like a cow} STFU

To me, they mean exactly the same thing as ' '.

A stupid acronym shoudn't decide wether or not you play a mud, and I doubt it will anyway. A mud could have an RPI monument erected to itself, and it still wouldn't change the content of their mud, the quality of their roleplayers, the ****tiness of their atmoshpere or lack thereof.

I have nothing useful to add.

Rock and roll.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #73

Not really.  I mean I've seen those arguments and simply refused to entertain them.  Both you and KaVir are more perceptive than that.  Well I have some faith in that anyway.  You may have noticed that Aristotle responded angrily when KaVir suggested RPI either meant anything (or nothing) or met a partial list of criteria he listed.  What prompted my little humorous tirade was also the hint or suggestion of a literalist position or anything or nothing at all position.  i.e. PK just might mean killing off your users then.  heh.    

It's how the argument is framed.  If Aristotle and myself don't agree with the list of criteria posted (as I think was outlined in the first 6 or so posts), then RPI just might as well mean nothing or anything.  A serious argument?  I don't think so.

I believe, and presume Aristotle does as well, like many mud acronyms the definition of RPI is a term describing an analog state.  There are mud games which are clearly in the RPI spectrum, mud games which are mostly in that spectrum, some on the edge of that spectrum, and games which are clearly outside of that spectrum.

Interestingly the same is true of MUD itself.
Is chess a MUD? Is IRC a MUD? Is Doom a MUD? Is Ultima Online a MUD? Is Mush a MUD?  Are the TMS forums a MUD? Is Armeggedon a MUD?  Is Baseball a MUD?  Is Diablo a MUD?  Are games with graphics MUDS?  Does a MUD have to have combat?  Are games without elves MUDs?

Quite likely you'll get some resounding no's, yes's, some maybe's, some WTH?!s, on answers to those questions.  Same is true of this RPI or roleplay intensive/immersive term.

It seems clear enough to me anyways that it's indeed a subset of RP or role-playing muds.
Knowing a mud is deep into that RPI spectrum is somewhat useful to me too.  I can then avoid it when I want to role-play.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:35 AM   #74
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
I don't see what a codebase has to do with wether or not its RPI. I used to play on a DIKU base MUD that was 'centred around RP', thank you very much.

I do agree with the definition itself though - if the game is essentially defined by its roleplaying I feel its RPI, while if roleplaying is merely one facet of the MUD, maybe not.

The criteria originally listed by KaVir, in my opinion, are good indicators of if a MUD is RPI or not, but not a good definition.

Also a note about the no OOC channels requirement... even Armageddon, a MUD I think we can all agree is an RPI, has OOC channels in the form of forums and people talking to each other over MSN, AIM etc... so I don't really see how that could be the part of any definition.
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:34 AM   #75
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
However those are the arguments being used to justify why "RPI" shouldn't have a specific meaning - eg:

Aristotle: "Unless something is managed by a standards body like ANSI or IEEE I do not think anyone can lay claim to what exactly defines RPI or any other game related acronym. Yes, people can share their opinions but nobody has the authority to outright declare what the precise and exact criterion are. Ultimately, the owner of a game has the right to label his/her game however he/she chooses."

Jazuela: "If you believe that the game you play is primarily an intensive roleplay game, then of COURSE it fits the bill of RolePlayIntensive."

The only arguments given for why those critiera shouldn't apply is because the literal meaning of RPI is Role-Playing Intensive, and because "the owner of a game has the right to label his/her game however he/she chooses." If you want to use those arguments, then they need to be applied consistantly if you want them to be taken seriously. If we should use the literal meaning of RPI, then the same logic dictates that we should also use the literal meaning of other acroynms - and if the owner of a mud can list his mud as an RPI purely on the basis that he feel it should be classified as such, then the same logic dictates that the owner of a mud can also list it as PK, RP, or whatever else takes his/her fancy. And if we do that, such labels become meaningless.

That's a better argument, the only problem is that "RPI" has been used for many years to refer to something which isn't so analog - something more analogous with a codebase.

The definition of "RP" is certainly analog, while the definition of "MOO" is not - would you agree with that?

However an "RPI" might not represent a derivative in the copyright sense like a "MOO" is, but it is still commonly used to refer to a group of muds which have all copied certain gameplay features from each other, which (aside from legal implications) is pretty much the same IMO.

Now obviously there is nothing stopping people from redefining RPI, but regardless of personal opinion it does currently have a specific meaning among a certain group of mudders, and trying to use it for something else is going to lead to confusion.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #76
Geras

Look up a post, I argued against the no OOC channels.

The one thing with Aristotle's arguments as he comes off as trying to justify why his MUD should be RPI even though it has OOC channels, no permdeath, you go OOC to kill mobs, etc. Not saying that's what you're trying to say Aristotle, just how it comes off to me.

Another criteria that I'm suprised wasn't mentioned here is colour - or lack thereof. During my brief stay on Armageddon I mentioned that the lack of colours hurt my eyes (as I am used to at least sensible colour) and I was told no serious RPI would have an ugly rainbow-splattered MUD, or something to that effect. Lack of colour is why I left Armageddon, but I was wondering, is this a generally accepted criteria?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #77
Jazuela

Why would a mud need to force colors on people, when you can pick and choose your own on your mudclient?

I mean - if Arm forced colors on me, and I had no way to shut them off, I wouldn't play. I hate colors. But let's say for the sake of arguement that I kinda like them.

Let's say I even have preferences. A pale grey background, dark blue regular text, magenta mobs, green room titles.

Now let's say the mud I wanna play has black background, white test, pale green mobs and pink room titles. Am I gonna play that game? Heck no. I probably won't make it past the login screen.

Best bet: allow the user to configure their own colors if they want them, however they want them configured. Also allow for no special colors, with either black background/white text as the default, or reverse.

Colors? Have nothing to do with roleplaying. The only colors I wanna see are the colors described with words when I look at things.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:46 PM   #78
Threshold
Legend

It might be a good idea for you to read my posts instead of just projecting random opinions onto me.

I dislike the acronym RPI for countless reasons. I have already explained this in great detail. Why would I want to use an acronym I dislike? That makes absolutely no sense.

Also, what the heck is "you go OOC to kill mobs." Huh? Do you go outside in RL, shoot a squirrel, take a photo, email it to the admins, and gain exp or something?

Finally, if no-color is another "RPI requirment" then that is just an additional example of how the acronym is truly laughable. The more I learn about it, the more I learn how arbitrary and silly it is.

To Jazuela: I don't know of any game with colors that doesn't have an option to turn them off. I agree with you though that any game that doesn't let you turn colors off is just plain stupid. I also agree that giving people as much customization of their colors as possible is a good thing. The point is that "color" or "no color" is a pure interface issue and has nothing to do with role playing.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #79
Geras

Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 AM   #80
Threshold
Legend

Aha.

So this is one of the latest crackpot, elitist RP concepts. Ragging on non-permadeath systems as being bogus/OOC is passe so now its "killing mobs is OOC."

Apparently the only thing that is IC is a couple people (or even just one person) sitting in a room spewing emotes at each other. Everything else is OOC or hack-n-slash.

I get it.