Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Brawndel

Brawndel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up looking for a truely unique mud.

Heya kids!
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I figured that advertising for players works, as I'm a player and I'd like to be advertised for.

I have been mud-hopping for about 10 years now, and just can not find a mud to call home. I am so sick of muds that are exactly the same as every other mud out there, except that the names of the cities have changed or some such thing.
I am looking for a no to little roleplaying mud, with roleplaying quality descriptions and combat. I do not want a mud where the combat consists of "you hit a monster with your dagger, a monster hits you with it's fangs." I am very into combat, and am looking for extensive combat code, where I am able to have a part in how the combat progresses, and get excited about what I'm doing.
I like playerkilling, but I don't like it when it is possible for people who haven't played long, or people who don't have many friends to get sliced and diced by a certain group that owns the mud because of superior time spent on the mud, or because of large numbers.
I love exploring, and am very interested in quests. I want a mud that gives me more to do than hack and slash poor innocent bunnies... I want to be a part of a world, not just another warrior slaughtering all inhabitants of the land.
In short, I want UNIQUE, fun place to be, won't get yelled at because I'm not a very good roleplayer, but I want quality and hard core combat system.
I have tried the majority of muds out there, and it's possible that I've skipped over your mud even though it be a great mud... let me know about your mud, sell me on it's cool features, I really really need a place to hang out.

Thanks for reading all, and I thank you also in advance for any response.

Brawny
Brawndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: looking for a truely unique mud.

God Wars II covers your listed requirements exactly - and it also has a 'config screen reader' mode (as I recall you mentioning in another post that you're blind).

The address is godwars2.com 3000

However there's already a character called Brawndel, who played for about 3 hours back in 2006, and managed to get about half way through the training dojo before giving up. If that's you, and you didn't like the game back then, then I'm afraid you're not going to like it any more now. However if that is the case, perhaps you could elaborate on what it was you didn't like?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Sandra

Home MUD: LegendMUD
Sandra is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you've tried LegendMUD recently, so I'll give you some information on what we have available for you.

We don't force Rp. There are some that do it, and some that don't.

Our combat system has different settings. You can set your fightmode to compact, verbose, or even none. This setting decides the messages you see in combat.

We're not like other muds with the same areas under different names. Legend's areas are based on historical myth. We've got 3 eras - ancient, medieval and industrial. Our areas include Ancient Rome, Celtic Ireland, Larderello Italy(Dante's Inferno), Viceroyal Lima Peru, Victorian London, Casablanca and many, many more.

Each area has a minimum of 2 quests. The majority have upwards of 5-20. These quests can be simple fetch-and-carry to epic in nature. You can go so far as to retrace the steps of Odysseus, or Beowulf's battle with Grendel and the sea-wolf.

We have an optional Pk system, and a dueling system. So you can decide if you want to become a full-fledged Pkiller or just dabble with duels.

Even if you've tried Legend in the past, stop by again and give us a try. With all of the content changes and additions, you never know!

Sandra
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

If you are really looking for originality, exploring and quests, you should definitely try out 4 Dimensions.

Our zones are our pride and joy. At present we have over 200 zones in 4 different worlds, all 100% original, written exclusively for 4D, and with an unusual depth and atmosphere. In how many Muds can you listen and smell in the rooms, or smell, taste and feel things? You can in 4d, and you can also look behind, above and under things, and climb, descend and jump objects.

All of these features are used to add challenge to our numerous quests, that are built into the zones. They range from very easy Newbie quests in the low level zones, to extremely hard 10-steps Quests, that only a few players have been able to solve over the years. Generally the quests are in character with the theme of the zone, and quite often have an elaborate plot of their own, and you need to use all your senses and talk to various mobs, as well as listen to gossiping locals in order to figure out the hints you need to solve the quest. 4d has always been big on scripts, and I'm willing to wager that you won't find more elaborate and entertaining scripts in many other muds.

The scripts are also used to make our mobs a lot more intelligent than usual, so don't expect them to stand meekly about, waiting to be slaughtered. Any skills and spells that you can use, the mobs can use too, and some of them are a bit out of the ordinary. Like for instance some of the classical monsters that Heracles fought; the multi-headed Hydra that sprouts four new heads for every one you cut off, or the Nemesian Lion, whose hide is so tough that no weapon can cut through it. Or the... But you have to come and see for yourself.

PKilling is optional in 4D, the players that choose a peaceful life will be totally safe from both PK and looting. And although our combat code isn't nearly as advanced as Kavir's Godwars II, we still have loads of skills and spells and other features that make combat a real tactical challenge. Skilled Pkillers can usually take out players far above them in strength, simply because those other players haven't learned all the tricks and tactics of PK.

And above all, we have another unique feature; our Gladiator Arena, where you can enter the body of a strong and highly skilled player, to see what PK can be like at high level. The Gladiators are all the same tier and level, and have equally balanced equipment, so that a newbie can fight a seasoned veteran on equal terms. (Except of course that the veteran probably has some tricks up his sleeve, so expect to die often at first, unless you have a lot of experience in PK from somewhere else). Presently we are still playtesting the Gladiators for balance, so anyone - even a total newbie - can grab one of the chars and join in the fun. Later they will be used for real tournaments, both man-to-man duels and free-for-all.

RP is optional in 4D too, but many of our players do roleplay, and it is encouraged in various ways.

We lost a good deal of our playerbase due to a bad server crash before Christmas, but we are fully back in business now, with a new and more reliable server. Naturally we'd like to expand our pbase as fast as possible, so new players are very welcome, especially if they have an interest in PK.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Brawndel

Brawndel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: looking for a truely unique mud.

Thank you for your quick responses!
KaVir, I have played godwars2 off and on for a couple of years, finally managing to get a werewolf up to age 250. The problem I've had is that primaling endlessly gets so old. And once I had a build, such as my ww with wolf form and storm talons, all I could do is find a mob relative to my age, pounce, rh rm rl, lh lm ll... standing for high slash with right paw, medium, and low... followed by the same with the left... over and over until the mob is dead. It just got old very quickly. Granted, I haven't played since dragons and the new nexus have been implemented, but the awesome combat and coord system doesn't overshadow the endless primaling.

Sandra, I have created a char or 2 on legendmud, and it is a lot of fun. The problem is once again having to kill mobs endlessly to raise levels... I do admire the skill system, there are some really neat quests, and being able to use a revolver in ranged combat is a lot of fun... I just get bored by the exping.

Molly! I have wanted to try 4D for a couple of years now, but I am unable to connect to 4dimensions.org 6000 using my mud client. I have tried other mud clients, other isps, and I just can't get connected. I would be very appreciative if you could provide me with another sight/port to connect too, or any troubleshooting hints you might know of. At the moment, when I try to connect, I get the error "couldn't connect."

Thanks again all, and I look forward to any other suggestions.

Brawny

P.S. As KaVir says, I am blind, and therefor, extensive asky art, and wilderness maps are hard to deal with when using a screenreader. I am so thankful to those like KaVir who take blindness into consideration when creating a mud, and add options to make the mud more "blind friendly."
Brawndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
rendekar

rendekar is on a distinguished road

i couldn't have time to play there much but since you're trying time-travel muds you should also see
3-kingdoms ..it has 3 realms; fantasy, chaos and science and has many areas,rooms for each..it consistently has between 50-150 players online..

i was just a player there, thought it would be different experience for you.
rendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

You could try 64.62.231.178 Port 6000. Or use the Play Now link on our website, that uses a java client.

It's weird that you shouldn't be able to log on with 4dimensions.org however, I never heard anyone else having that problem. Perhaps you were just unlucky and tried logging on while they were rebooting to put new code in?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I would suggest Aardwolf, Imperian, Ancient Anguish, or 4 Dimensions. All are somewhat unique and have different combat systems and large areas to explore.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
reppart

reppart is on a distinguished road

Legends of Warcraft is just the thing.
Easy to learn.
Best PK combat engine there is.
Equipment and quest mechanics so addictive you don't want to log off ever: )

lowmud.org 8000
reppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

God Wars II gets my vote. Even though I don't play their consistently, it's one of the best coded muds around I think.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote