Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD and RPG Webmasters
Click here to Register

Old 02-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #21
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
What you posted was a personal attack against the main competitor of your hosting provider. And you did so in the discussions section.

Asking you to post something constructive is hardly a flame, and I made no false statements. Or was I somehow supposed to interpret your claim that you would no longer involve yourself in discussions as "all discussions except those in the webmasters forum"? Because if so, I didn't, and I would be interested to know which other discussion forums you don't consider to be used for "discussions".

Pot, kettle, black! However I do apologise (and have done so) - when I am wrong. In this case, however, I am not. Think about what I said - tuck your ego away for a second and really think about it. Not all threads have to be advertisements or attacks on competitors. I know you've got your own exclusive forum where you can post constructive stuff, but what sort of impression do you think you're giving if you only ever post chaff here? Particularly as most of the people reading it won't have access to your BigMud forums.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:49 PM   #22
Deathwing

Deathwing is on a distinguished road
Can't you two fight in private or something? I've got "This is the song that never ends, etc." from that old PBS show stuck in my head now.

Seriously though, Kavir, it's getting old, whether you're right or not. You obviously abhor the_logos and most of the things he does, so why do you continue to subject yourself to him through these vindictive posts?

Add to that the fact that you're not even the moderator for this particular board or the Announcements board, and I really fail to see why you're not just ignoring everything he writes.

I can already hear some variation on "But I need to counter the xxxxxx he posts to protect everyone else!" coming, but that seems rather childish. Most of us can make decisions on our own, I would hope.
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Old 02-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #24
Deathwing

Heh, don't I feel honored. I wasn't aware I was famous around here, what with my massive 0.21 posts per day and all. I reply when I feel like it, and if most of those replies happen to involve topics you post in, then so be it. I guess it's the sort of thing that sparks my interest.

Anyway, you can post whatever you want, and if you think i'm anything more than mildly annoyed about this thread, you've badly misjudged.

It is amusing, though, how you seem to react to anyone that posts something you don't like by becoming extremely rude or treating them like a child. I thought you were the one that was so inflamed at someone posting non-constructively?

Once again, you misunderstand. I only mentioned the fact because if you were a moderator for this board, then I could easily see why you would want/need to post on this thread, despite your feelings. Maybe if you weren't trying to be so utterly condescending, you'd see that.

And who would I report you to? Synozeer, so he could laugh in my face about it? Sorry, no. Again, if you think anything about this whole thread bothers me all that much, you're sorely mistaken.

I eagerly await your next post calling me an idiot/lapdog/child/etc..
Old 02-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #25
KaVir
Legend

I didn't say famous - I said faithful. And I said it because all of your 22 posts have been in the following 6 threads:

1: "Aardwolf commercially violating diku licence" in which Hephos attacks Aardwolf, and the_logos defends Hephos's view.

2: "These forums, Aardwolf, and me" - a thread started by the_logos in which he says he's leaving because of the attacks on Aardwolf (but clarifies that he's not talking about anything done by Hephos).

3: "A new forum for text muds." - in which the_logos announces his new exclusive forum.

4: "The Mind's Eye" - in which the_logos announces his new exclusive forum again.

5: "Diku license" - in which the_logos attacks the Diku license.

6: "Mudmagic: get it together" - in which the_logos attacks MudMagic.

In almost every case you've jumped in to the defence of the_logos or the point he was arguing.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #26
Deathwing

If it appears that i'm defending him or anyone else, it's only because the view(s) being discussed mesh with my own. Not sure what I can do about that, so I guess you'll just have to live with it.

As has no doubt crossed your mind, if only fleetingly, I do not play any of the_logos' games, I never will play any of them, and I have absolutely no relationship with him whatsoever.

Any views expressed are my own, despite whatever you may think. I would feel the same, whether it be the_logos or anyone else involved.

Believe whatever you want, though, I guess it doesn't really matter to me in the end.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #27
KaVir
Legend

It's not that, so much as the fact that you don't post anything else - the only threads you've participated in are flame wars, in which you jump to his defence. However the_logos has actually started two constructive threads during his time at TMS - if your views mesh with his, why not try posting to those?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #28
Thain

Thain is on a distinguished road
KaVir

It might be a good idea just to resist the temptation of having the last word.

1) Moderator or not nobody can judge what other users of the forum may find interesting. I found this topic interesting.

2) Your personal (and childish - I am 20 and your words read like those of a 12 year old to me) replies just get in the way of the general topic. My apologies for that rather direct statement.

Obviously you are not the only person who does it, but if you start, others follow. Instead, set the example. Otherwise people like me who just enjoy learning from those who contribute to the dicussions (yourself included, you don't normally sound prepubescent) will eventually all fade away leaving you all to argue.

I find it very interesting that price fixing has been admitted publically here by wolfpaw.

- Thain.
Thain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #29
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Getting back on topic...

Does Kyndig have anything to say about the topic itself?

I am interested in hearing the other side of the story and I feel the entire MUD community is entitled to an explanation.

I would prefer be fully informed so I don't have to make a conclusion based on only one side of the story.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #30
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
Regards of what is said by anyone here, everyone will reach their own conclusion. If anyone is really THAT interested in what transpired, why not contact the parties involved directly, instead of dragging it out here.

Not saying that I agree with anything that has happened between Mudmagic and Wolfpaw, but I think Mudmagic has made a smart move to not participate in what has degenerated in to a good old flame war. No matter what response Mudmagic might post, someone will disagree and the flame war would continue.
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #31
Threshold
Legend

Because as I already noted previously, I feel like the MUD community has a right to know exactly what transpired here.

A lot of people and MUDs were affected by these very inappropriate actions (blocking each other) and every MUDer (admin or player) deserves the details.

Anyone who might consider hosting with either of these companies certainly has a right to know what happened here so they can make an informed decision when selecting a mud host.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #32
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
I agree with Threshold, not only is it important to the "Community" but it is a good PR move that ANY company would do.

Dirty laundry gets aired in the public, the company immediately makes a general "We didn't do anything wrong, here is our version of the story" statement.

Like when Half Life 2 was leaked, they didn't just stuff it under the carpet... or when Dakitana had to rebuild their entire system using the Quake engine. Rumors will get out and if a company doesn't work to eliminate them they wind up looking really bad in the long run.

Since the news is out I think it is important that Kyndig releases some sort of statement for their own good.

So far all I know about Kyndig is that they took my game off their system because I was a Wolfpaw customer (true or not I don't know because they haven't said anything)... Now usually when people ask who a good hosting provider is I would say something like "Oh, kyndig and wolfpaw are the two largest that I know of" Now I'm not so inclined to put Kyndig in that statement unless they back themselves up a bit.

Oh, and to add I think TMS is the best place to have this discussion because it isn't "aligned" (at least as far as I know) with the two companies).

*shrug*
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #33
Xorith

Xorith is on a distinguished road
So this is what the MUD community is like?

Well fine, a few opinions of my own. (Since I know they're so valued anyway)

I've avoided Wolfpaw for hosting due to (what I felt) very high costs for very little in return. Admittedly, I might be wrong. Given that I was a MudMagic customer (and still am for web hosting), I have no complaints on how competent of a host they are. I never waited long when I was in need of help, and also admittedly, most times I needed help cleaning up after my own stupidity.

In short, if you're attacking a hosting company, or if we'd like to get back to the whole 'war' between two companies, MudMagic.com is very fair price-wise and *very* helpful and respectful to their customers. Those who say that they're doing an injustice to their customers should perhaps become one before making such statements? I'd prefer this rather than you putting words in my mouth, as well as other loyal customers of a company that has done no wrong to them.

Now this war is very counter productive, but it brings into light something sickening about this community. So just how badly can one person get burned for expressing his own views to the wrong people? If I think, say (as an example) that Wolfpaw sucks. Now, will this opinion burn me from ever being welcome on TMC's list? If so, that'd also burn me from being listed in zMUD's MUD list too. This is quite backwards, is it not? The country I live in allows freedom of expression, and this community gives the impression that it's not valid here.

Now there's been some obvious ego-stroking in this thread. No offense, KaVir, but you can't help but to speak up when you see a chance. Nothing wrong with this, but if we cut out the 'back-and-forth', the thread becomes *much* smaller, and a lot more on the point.

The_logos - The question is valid. If you had to contact Kyndig personally, then why did you decide to post? Surely the advertising this is generating for you (since your signature has your MUDs' links in it) is decent enough. In all fairness, given that you're one of the few MUD admins here who make money off of their game, that maybe you'd share the wealth? Probably not. Well do enjoy the free advertising.

Kyndig (should you read this) if any of what has been said by Wolfpaw is true, I would highly recommend you settle it. This also goes for Wolfpaw. You both earn income from the very community you're both working to destroy by petty childish behavior.

Samson was right. This has gone on too much, but I couldn't resist my own two-cents from being added. What's more sad is I'm curious how many new-comers to the community will eventually wind up on threads like this, and wonder if it's worth joining into a pack of rabid, wild dogs? That's how it seems.

-- Xorith
Xorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #34
Valaria

Valaria is on a distinguished road
Xorith wrote:

If I recall correctly, Logos said his email was blocked by Mudmagic.com's spam filter which he cannot directly email to kydnig himself. just a thought to clear up. Hope i am not that mistake. ^_^

Regards,
Valaria
Valaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:51 PM   #35
Xorith

Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #36
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

First hand experience is such a time-consuming way to make decisions that a gargantuan amount of human effort is spent delegating these decisions away. Nevertheless, supposing that "MudMagic.com is very fair price-wise and *very* helpful and respectful to their customers" does not justify the act of blocking another network. It may to you, but you're obviously not the only one with an opinion on what's important here.

He answered this question in his reply to my post:
As much as I enjoy sticking it to The Man, I don't think that advertising was a motive here.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #37
Azeroth

Azeroth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Azeroth
Ok, I think the entire point has been missed here.

1. It's irrelavent if the_logos only chooses to place posts of a flaming nature on this board.
2. It's irrelavent if there are those here who do not like the_logos.
3. Our opinions and likes/dislikes concerning the_logos is irrelavent.

The only objection I have seen that *might* be relevant, is the board the post was placed on.  

Getting to the point of my post...I am not the first one in favor of "mud slinging", or dragging anyone's name through the dirt.  And I can not prove that any of these claims are true.  But *IF* they are, I think it's very relevant to the Mu*ing community.  If two Mu*hosts are having a "war" of sorts, this is very good information to provide the community.  I don't have any personal agendas or grudges against the two parties involved.  I personally host my mud with one of the newbies of the Mu*hosting community (and have been very satisfied).  I don't care to see either of them flamed, or to see either of them cleared.  But when someone posts something of this nature...let's consider it, discuss it...whatever.  But why must you just begin attacking whoever has posted it?  Just an observation.
Azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:19 AM   #38
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #39
Threshold
Legend

Wrong.

Kyndig/MudMagic uses these forums to generate business.

If he has engaged in extremely unethical or illegal business practices, the people who provide him the source of free advertising deserve an explanation.

Furthermore, if the allegations are true, his actions harm the ENTIRE MUD COMMUNITY by creating an exceptionally hostile environment between major hosting companies. That is bad for the entire market.

That is why the entire community is owed an explanation.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #40
Xorith

Dear gods, man. The Internet is one of the largest sources for free speech. Look around, take a good hard look at the results on Google the next time you do a search. The Internet is the one place where people can come and share their opinions behind the protective facade of being anonymous. Your statement carries only an assumption of what most websites are like.

I'm not one to play devil's advocate, but seeing as I never felt this massive block, I can't very well use it as a basis for completely flaming a MUD Host. I have my own issues with MUD hosts these days. Given that I've had a host hose their entire hard drive while NOT making the CD backups I was paying for, well that takes the cake. This is nothing compared to losing a year's worth of building and coding. I'd have had a backup if I got what I paid for, and if my home machine wasn't *also* down. As far as inter-network wars, it only hurts them both. For Dale to post evidence of how childish both he and Kyndig can act, it serves neither any good. If I need a host now, I'm more than likely going to go to Arthmoor - a hosting company that hasn't displayed prime examples of childish behavior.

My point in all this, that seems to have been missed by the natural need for people to throw attacks, is that both companies are at fault for their own childish behaviors. It shouldn't have gone public because It shouldn't even have gone this far. For the most part, we're adults here. Why are we acting like this? This damned thread is a prime example of just how backwards the entire community is.

Good gods people.

-- Xorith

Mudmagic: get it together. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MudMagic and MUD players Aeran MUD Administration 3 08-08-2006 10:29 AM
Mud Client Updates from MudMagic Kyndig MUD Announcements 0 01-27-2005 09:58 AM
MudMagic Host Provider Kyndig MUD Announcements 1 04-08-2004 04:31 PM
MudMagic Host Updates Kyndig MUD Announcements 0 03-15-2004 08:56 AM
MudMagic.Com Kyndig MUD Announcements 5 12-06-2003 12:28 AM