Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Misha Locke
Banned

Name: Anna
Home MUD: dbuniverse.mudhosting.net
Misha Locke is on a distinguished road
Looking for MUDs/MUSHes

It'd be cool if they fit the following

- Sand-box like play

- A lot of race choices, but not too many to overwhelm a player

- Fantasy, sci-fi, modern, and the likes

- You can learn other languages by 'reading' books IN CHARACTER

- Not RP enforced, or required to RP

- Would prefer a non fandom based MUD/MUSH
Misha Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for MUDs/MUSHes

Without RP a MUD isn't worth playing.

What is the point to try to roleplay a virtual character when you do only ... hack and slay without any reason?

EDIT: Why are my replies always top-first??? Can we switch to reply in bottom-style replies, like every other forum too please?
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

RP (particularly enforced) is a niche market, and a lot of people dislike it for a number of reasons.

Fortunately there are plenty of muds out there, so most people can find a style they find satisfactory. You think non-RP muds aren't worth playing, so you can avoid those. Others think RP muds are a waste of time, so they can avoid those.

If everyone liked exactly the same things, we'd only need one mud.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

There are many different styles of MUDs with different flavors for each person's desires. I like GodWars II for the robust combat system and pk style. I like Threshold for it's large word, fun players, and strong religious background and history. I like Materia Magica for its cool world and graphical interface system. I like 4Dimensions for its different style and intricate brain teasing quests.

I like Roleplay Enforced MUDs the most but that doesn't mean everyone does. Frankly I just like mature good players.

This is just the default setting for those logged in so they don't have to scroll to the bottom to see the latest post on a thread with over 100 posts. the default for those not logged in is the reverse. You can change this feature in your settings.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Misha Locke
Banned

Name: Anna
Home MUD: dbuniverse.mudhosting.net
Misha Locke is on a distinguished road

Because RP enforced MUDs make you RP whenever you don't wish to. The best you can do is not login to the game at that time, but some people don't want to do that. Some wish to login and uh.. play the game.

I've joined a few RP enforced muds that don't even enforce it.

Well, I decided to try Newworlds again, and it is a lot better than it was the last few times I logged into it. RP enforced or not, I still think it deserves to be top ranked on this site over that crap excuse of a number #1 ranked game. :/

They have Helpers and Advisors, but they don't do what they are supposed to do. Sure they help you, but they won't bother helping you whenever something doesn't work. I was trying to get somewhere for a quest I had to do, and was following the runto command which it gave me, and it was taking me to the wrong place
Misha Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Well, they can't help too much. Not only do they have other things to do, but after a while you, as your character, should be able to figure out how things run in that partictular MUD.

As for RP-Enforced, the problem with them (as I see it) is the fact that people play at different speeds. Yes, those who are aggressive will have their fun in the forum of leadership and authority positions just as those who are passive wil have their fun as followers and observers of what goes on around them...

The problem for any MUD comes with ballancing these types out in their world so things run smoothly for everyone there, so all can enjoy the Game.

I believe many of the MUD's that have been around for 12+years have figured out how to do this, in one form or another, which aids in their longevity--while those that don't fall appart.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote