Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 04-27-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
Cougar Khan

Cougar Khan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar Khan
When you build in LPC, what editors are many of you using? Or do you use the standard ed?
Cougar Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
kaylus1

I'd have to say it depends on the situation. Sometimes I find myself (if local) using kwrite, though alot of the time it is vi.

If I am in the mud remotely, like work, I usually use notepad or some such minimalistic editor then paste it into ed. Rarely do I find myself using ed unless I have a small quick bug I need to fix.

Kaylus@Solice
Old 04-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #3
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
I normally use vim.. though I've started to use emacs for it as well for more complicated projects.
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:40 AM   #4
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
i use notepad for offlie coding and ws_ftp to ftp it right where i want it. standard editor often adds invisible characters such as semicolons or apostrophes where you never put them when it jumps lines. very odd actually. i wouldn't recommend it for any real coding, only if you plan on changing a line or two or code.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 05:06 AM   #5
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
I code using a shareware editor with customer syntax-highlighting where I added some of our mudlib's keywords, then ftp it - or if ftp's down, copy-paste it through ed.
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 08:49 PM   #6
kaylus1

Update on editors..

I now use Crimson Editor (I went looking for an editor after posting on this topic). It is a freeware editor for windows, it has custom syntax highlighting, macros, blah blah and all the good stuff with customability. I have replaced notepad with it for my whole system.

Oh yeah.. why would I want to use this when I can just stick with something like notepad and not worry!? The best part of it is Remote file editing. Type in the name of the FTP server, login, password, startup directory and *BING* edit files without having to FTP. Sorry if it sounds like a shameless plug, but i'm excited about it and I'm sure it would help alot of LPC coders out their with optimizing their times.

I for one got sick up "Upload, Test, Forgot Something, Upload, Test, Massive Error.." hehehe. Worth a try. Though still interested in hearing what else people use.

Kaylus@Solice
Old 05-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
I use emacs. It provides syntax highlightning, of course, and a lot of various good things. There is also the ange-ftp package, which make it appear you're editing locally, when you're really using ftp to store the files. For LPC, I find the C++-mode a good one.
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 07:12 AM   #8
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote