Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Anaiah

Name: Anaiah
Home MUD: Formerly: Armageddon MUD
Home MUD: Currently: The Evolution of Esos
Anaiah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Anaiah
Re: Looking for a friendly, active, RP-oriented game

The lesbian staffer backs this quote.

Seriously, though, the main thing you're likely to come to odds with is that there is not restriction on pk. However, if you tend to play city-based characters, you can easily live RL years without being pked, depending on how much drama and conflict you start or cause.

IC is IC, people in game tend to be harsh, but if you come across as new, they'll generally show some patience/not be a butt/ and also direct you to one of the helpers who is around for just such assistance.
Anaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

I'd like to just toss Unwritten Legends into the mix.

RP is mandatory, and ranges from lighthearted crossroads/tavern play, to figuring out how to fight off an eldritch abomination from another dimension.

There is little to no PKing. Killing someone is against the law, and is liable to get you arrested and jailed, with a trial. Break big laws too many times and you either get hanged (very rare, permadeath) or sent to live on a prison island.

Your character doesn't lose anything over time, and you can log in whenever you feel like. The only thing you'd lose is rent for your inn rooms. (Inn rooms are used as off-character storage, as well as rp areas)
I have one caveat to that though: the player base is fairly small, and finding people to rp with during typical work or school hours can be difficult.

I've never seen any sexual based harassment, aside from one character that is known, and treated, as a wo/manizer IC.

The players are always friendly to newcomers. There's a dedicated IRC channel where someone can usually be found, as well as a Skype conversation, and most players have AIM or some such.

The areas are extremely large and complex, so maps are a must. Happily most of the world has been mapped out, and are available online. For an example of the size; the main city has over 70 businesses, very few having entrances from the same room.

On the other side of that coin, there isn't a huge number of places to go to, especially for lower levels.

On leveling; The game is somewhat different as well. You store up exp in a buffer, which drains as you spend your time in the MUD. That way you can hunt a bunch, get some hours of buffer, then RP the time away.

The commands take some getting used to. I like to say that they're so obvious that they're hard half the time.
I've written up a pretty comprehensive guide to their usage, and I'm always taking suggestions to help more though.

Descriptions in general are in general far more complex than any other MUD I've tried. (Though I've never played a commercial mud)

The setting is something like a Renaissance England, with a number of changes. Magic is in full force, and just as viable as clockwork inventions. The lore is extremely in depth, and is worth reading.

The game is very lightly pay for perks. Anything you can get with credits can just as easily be gotten with good RP. In fact, there are many things you can ONLY get with RP rewards.

I'd like to also point out that those rewards can not win the game for you. Available options are almost entirely RP aids, such as getting custom clothing or props, or alterations to your personal appearance or inn rooms.

There's an extremely in depth and rewarding hack-n-slash element as well.
Of course, if you're not a fighter, you can level up more slowly by fishing or playing music for groups of people.

The inventory system also bears mentioning, as it may turn you off. There is no 'inventory'. You have your two hands, and whatever containers you feel like wearing. Most things need to be in a hand to be used.
There is no hard-coded weight or item count limit, however. You can also toggle the visibility of worn items to declutter your appearance.

The game is still considered a work-in-progress, and new features are being worked on constantly.
You do need to apply for an account, but almost anyone is accepted with a few days.

Well, I've run out of things to ramble on about, so I'll end it here.
The site is
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
TigahGotClaws

TigahGotClaws is on a distinguished road

I suppose I'm a bit late to post to this thread, but as with all the other offers, I'd like to suggest Echoes of Albion. We're small, but growing, and while we do want to involve a PK system some day, it'll be between races. The easiest way to avoid that will be not to make a character that's a warrior.

Echoes has a history base, in the very early years AD, among the Celtic tribes of Britain, during the beginning of the Roman invasion. It has a high fantasy twist, with Aes Sidhe and a variety of other races and people groups that are heavily present in the lore but perhaps not so much in RL.

The playerbase is friendly, active at most times of the day, US, European, and we've even got some Australians playing now. It's sort of a family atmosphere in OOC with helpful staff and builders. We are RP-enforced and have an ever expanding and growing code system designed to support RP beautifully.

If you want to take a look, try for our website. It's port 7700 to log in. Creation has most of the information you'll need to design a successful character, and if you can't find it there, we're usually around to help.

<3

Tigerlily
Head Admin, EoA.
TigahGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #24
citywisdom

citywisdom is on a distinguished road

Oh, man, I'm blown away by the responses - I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. (Some personal things came up.)

If you guys manage to get the free-play system through, it sounds like a great game.

Very understandable. I know time keeps trucking on, and I would certainly make a commitment to be around regular hours even if I couldn't be around frequent hours.

Unfortunately, yes. I've had to ditch a game where the OOC environment was so unwelcoming to female players that even the female admins started getting harassed and the guy who ran the game had to step in.

Could the attacking lead straight onto death? I'm just not a fan of suddenly getting battle-spammed and killed when my character's out grocery shopping or something. I know tons of people who love the random chance element of unrestricted PK, but it's just not my thing.

Ack, my apologies if I caused anyone any offense. I am a gay female player, but I sometimes forget how differently loaded the word queer can be in different circles.

Aw, that's awesome. Thanks, Armageddon.

And thank you to everyone who took time to recommend games either here or in PM. I really appreciate it, and I'm looking forward to jumping in and trying out some new games.
citywisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #25
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I would like to humbly suggest Threshold RPG:

telnet: thresholdrpg.com:23

Threshold fits every one of your criteria and I believe it is the longest running RP required MUD on the internet. It has an amazingly deep and rich history, while also maintaining a very newbie friendly environment where new characters are welcomed for the fresh ideas and RP they bring.

The reason I specifically highlighted your #4 is because I think Threshold fills that request in a unique and extensive manner.

We have 3 developers/admins. Of those 3, one is female and one is gay. Additionally, half of our player base is female.

Any sort of ridicule of the type you mention is completely forbidden and is not tolerated.

On the issue of pay-for-perks, Threshold does have extra features people can pay for, but the entire game world, classes, abilities, levels, zones, quests, etc. are available to everyone even if they never pay a penny.

Furthermore, one of our company mottos is: Players ARE content. We consider non-paying players extremely valuable, as they add a lot to the gaming environment and the roleplay community.

You should definitely check it out. Over 300,000 people have played Threshold in its 15+ year history, many of whom have stayed for over 10 years.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I never knew you were gay Ari.. congrats on finally coming out

On topic, yeah, Threshold meets all your criteria.. very diverse player base, good solid RP, good system and whereas some of the pay for perks do lend lot more fun to the game (customisable housing etc) they are in no way balance breakers and there are literally hundreds of hours of gameplay before you start to be tempted by such luxuries.

New worlds is also of similar quality.

Both have good solid, regular playerbase online at all times.

Last edited by MudMann : 06-11-2011 at 07:43 PM.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #27
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

I second Silvarilon's assessment of Ironclaw, and state that I'm a player there as well. I wont say who, but if you need something a Carpenter can do--you'll run into me.

But do note, you'll need to link up with a House to really learn skills and to earn an income (by House Stripen) to buy the nesscessities and raw stock your character will need in Game. For example, as a Crafter, the House pays for the lessons taken by an NPC Teacher, but anything you make for sale the House gets a percentage of the profits. You can also make a Donation to your respective House, as my character does using the profits from Fishing.

The players there are friendly, and willing to help. Just be paticent and persistant, and things will work out.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

ROFL. My wife's going to be surprised when she reads this thread, MudMann.... :P

Thanks!
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #29
uberbeard

uberbeard is on a distinguished road

I'll just pop in and double advocate for Otherspace, man, it's the only text based world/community I've been able to stick with for 10 years. The stories are great, the setting is great (and surprisingly flexible for community feedback and participation) and the playerbase is the best it's been in years>
uberbeard is offline   Reply With Quote