Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Emil

Emil is on a distinguished road
The 'trophy' next to the game name is supposed to show which Mud that was on top of the list the session before it reset, isn't it?

I am only 99% sure, but the way I remember things, Aardwolf was on top of the list both last time and the time before that.

So what is the trophy doing next to Achaea now, and during the last session too? Did something upheaving happn with the votes the last few minutes before they were reset, or is this a genuine bug?
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
I thought that trophy was simply part of Achaea's listing. I've NEVER seen it listed by any MUD other than Achaea, and I've seen Achaea not even in the top 3 with it in the past (It's been a long time, since those occurences mind you.)
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
The only time Achaea's ever finished below 2nd place was the very first round when we joined years ago, as we joined halfway through.

The trophy used to switch (and Aardwolf should have it now) but it's a manual thing. I used to have to remind Adam to move the trophy to us when Aardwolf had it previously.

I can only assume that Derek is busy working on the site and ensuring that little things like that are automated. He owns Aardwolf after all. I'm sure he's not intentionally slighting his own MUD by not putting the trophy there.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
Matt is right, it's a manual process I haven't been too good about keeping up with - spending what time is available on the back end instead and making sure the new muds get checked out / added.

Obviously (hopefully) if it were the other way around I'd be much more motivated to move the cup to the right place.
TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
There is not much sense in having a symbol that doesn't show the correct situation.
If it cannot be done automatically by the code, I'd suggest that it's a better choice to remove it completely than having it give wrong info most of the time.
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
kaylus1

Honestly it really isn't "most of the time". Achaea does a pretty good job of finishing well.

That being said, I do think you are at least mildly correct in your statement. Though honestly, I don't see how it's better being removed for any reason other than personal glory (which really is the major point of it).

As a matter of fact, i've never paid attention to it. I'm quite sure that may be the case, as it were. But, hey... just my opinion, and obviously not one of importance. Take it as it is.

Kaylus
Old 02-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Since it seems like the "last rank" is kept in the DB (which would be needed to make the up/down arrows work), I'd much rather see a last rank column with the numbers rather than the trophy anyways.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
the_logos
Legend

Gotta agree: It's meaningless. The only number that really matters is the 'out' column, as that's the only reason to list a MUD in the rankings: To get traffic.

--matt
Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Fiendish

Fiendish is on a distinguished road
[deleted]

Eh, I didn't realize who'd taken over. Now how do you delete posts in this place?
Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #10
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Being as my experience is mostly with MySQL, I have no idea how things look there, but.. seems like a one minute fix? Find the "mudlist reset" function, add in some function to (A) find the trophy and remove it, (B) find the first place mud, and put the trophy there. Then it resets the list, as usual.

I am amazed that Synozeer was doing that manually ..but what do I know.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
the_logos
Legend

Synozeer would never have claimed he was a great coder, and it's not as if Topmudsites was making him bank. He just never got around to having someone automate it.

--matt