Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
No More Dresden Files

I refer, of course, to the series rather than the excellent books by Jim Butcher.

It seems Sci-Fi has no interest in picking up the Dresden Files for a second season, which I personally think is a real shame. I liked the style of it, and the characters even after one season were interesting and I was looking forward to seeing how things panned out.

What with the cancellation of SG-1 and now this, I'm beginning to wonder if someone over at Sci-Fi isn't a little bit anti-scifi!
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: No More Dresden Files

All that sci-fi has been getting in the way of professional wrestling and infomercials.

Seriously, I don't know what they're smoking over there, but it stinks. Sci-Fi is owned by NBC/Universal (just like USA Network). I'm waiting for them to find a way to claim reruns of My Name is Earl and BJ & the Bear count as sci-fi.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

They announced several weeks ago that The Dresden Files weren't being renewed and even before that I figured as much since the star was listed as a cast member in a different show next season. I do second the motion that the idjits in charge over at SciFi are doing a horrible job at programming. At least they show Doctor Who though.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road

Perhaps Dresden wasn't renewed because they have such "winners" as Flash Gordon and Painkiller Jane............

On another hopefully more promising note, it appears that youtube's was sold to the scifi channel!

Last edited by Estarra : 09-09-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Burrytar

Burrytar is on a distinguished road

For those that don't know, there is a (tabletop) in the works. Not only that, but it's being created by Fred Hicks and Rob Donaghue of , quite possibly the best story-oriented RPG design team in existence. Their two most recent games are Don't Rest Your Head (which is very Dresden-esque) and Spirit of the Century (which is very pulpy), and both of those games have been wildly praised, nay, worshipped by the storygame community. They also created the FATE system, a rewrite of Fudge, which has been similarly praised by generic system lovers and storygamers both.

Having seen their other games, I'm certain the system will be developed from the ground up to give exactly the required support 100% of the time for Dresden-style stories. And it will probably also be easily adaptable to other story types. The rules text will be clear and concise, and appropriate examples from actual play will be provided. It will be playable by both new and veteran roleplayers, without sacrificing the enjoyment of either. That's not a bold prediction given the design team I'm talking about.

Anyhow, if you can't tell, I'm really excited about this. I only recently started reading the Dresden Files (never saw the show); but I've read all of Nightside -- which is like a cross between Dresden and Neverwhere -- so I'm keen on getting an RPG geared towards that sort of thing with a name attached that my geeky friends will recognize.

Last edited by Burrytar : 09-15-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Burrytar is offline   Reply With Quote