Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
bc-dev.net

Name: Matt
bc-dev.net is on a distinguished road
MudGamers - a new mud portal site

Bringing the best of MUDs and online text gaming to your browser, is a new community gaming site with a fresh modern design. An integrated Flash client enables players to connect immediately to their chosen game.

I've posted some more details on the project . I'd appreciate any feedback and of course I'd love for people to begin to list their games. Once I am happy with the site features and we have enough content I will begin to market the site to players with an emphasis on attracting new gamers to mudding.
bc-dev.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: MudGamers - a new mud portal site

I'm curious about this flash enabling, because I'm ignorant and my browser rejects all flash because my computer is old and clunky and flash takes too long to load up So please enlighten me, how you can play a text-based game on a flash client? I thought flash was graphics.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

Flash is not graphics. It can use graphics, yes.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road

Mudgamers seems like a great portal so far, let's get it off and running!
Thanks Matt! (Ps. Flash one for the MUD's website with a link back to Mudgamers (and banner across top) would rock).

- Dave.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the link Zeno. I read it...and what it basically said was:

graphics, graphics, bitmap, video, website design, audio, graphics, graphics, drawing, pictures, movies, graphics, graphics, video, youtube, video, graphics, drawing, website design, audio, quicktime, audio, websites design, and graphics. With a heavy P.S. on graphics.

So basically, you have to enable an application (or add on) that is designed -primarily- to deal with graphics, just so you can interact with a text game. Even though there are already lots and lots of text clients out there that are designed specifically to deal with text. Sort of like how some games have java clients on the browsers, which I've always found extremely clunky and unreliable.

I did go to the website, and looked around. It seems that none of the games listed can actually be accessed with flash - where one might possibly find a command button to link to the game, there is a sentence saying that it isn't operational.

I love the idea of more mud fansites, but considering the ease and familiarity the vast majority of people have with telnet-type clients, I don't know if flash would become very popular as a replacement or substitute.

Last edited by Jazuela : 09-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road

Not sure I'd agree Jaz, mainly due to the new Windows platforms NOT coming with telnet. Unless the person is already familiar with them, they wouldn't know how to actually connect up.

I don't know about all of the games, but those on Wolfpaw should be 'flash'-able within a few days if they aren't already. Not sure of the number of MUDs on Wolfpaw these days, but it used to number in the hundreds. Then if Mudmagic follows suit, at least two of the big MUDhosts will cater to that type of connection.

One thing I'd personally love to see is assignable buttons, directional buttons etc. It's up to Matt where he takes the program, but so far so good. And it seems to be a nice alternative to the old Java connect version.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

I'm fairly certain they can be accessed via flash, I know at least mine can.

Except someone who is new to MUDs is not going to go out of their way to DL a client nor would MUD owners recommend telnet. This flash client exceeds telnet for the important stuff (input entry etc).
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
bc-dev.net

Name: Matt
bc-dev.net is on a distinguished road

Currently we only have a few games that are Flash enabled, however I expect this to increase soon as the major hosting services add support for Flash at the server end.

With MudGamers I hope to target new markets and attract gamers who may be unfamiliar with MUDs and text gaming and as such it's important to present a simple and consistent interface to the games. Requiring a client download and setup or having to follow instructions to enable telnet support in their OS would likely put off a lot of potential players. My aim is to make it easy for players to play MUDs right in their browser without any additional download or setup.

I also want to move away from being a listing site and more towards a gaming community where players can play their favourite games on the site. I hope that this will not only be attractive to new gamers, but also help many smaller MUDs by making it easier to share players among themselves. I've already added a very basic chat to the client so players on different games will be able to communicate with each other and I have plans in the future to introduce cross game support for community features such as rankings, competitions and badges on the site.
bc-dev.net is offline   Reply With Quote