Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Lotherio

Lotherio is on a distinguished road
There I was, there I was, there I was ...

... in the Congo ...

Thought I'd jump in an drop a quick introduction like everyone else, before I start inserting my opinions here and there.

I've been Mudding for 20 years, having played LAN based RPGs prior to this, having played the old text games, ZORK and the like. I enjoy Muds for the gaming aspect. I feel I should differentiate that from RP as that seems a hot topic. For RP I gravitate towards the other Mu* environs (Mushs, Mux, Mucks, Moos, Etc.). Of late my preference in RP has gravitated towards freeform/sandboxing rather than strict genre/theme. I prefer Muds where I can explore the game, I have to look at everything in a room, find hidden exits/items/etc, not be shown all exits, items from the get go. Likewise, I don't like to have to join a guild, be handheld to learn where things are in the game, to figure out the economy, or where the best gear is for my character by others.

For the record, my first was Midnight Sun, an LP Mud out of Sweden (now in its second incarnation), followed by Nightmare 3, then Nightmare IV.
Lotherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: There I was, there I was, there I was ...

Explorer? You gotta try GateWay then. 1. It's large (24 years worth of additions) 2. It's got no free maps to help you find your way around 3. Areas are not just paths/roads but actual 2-D lands, be they forests, deserts, etc. 4. Finding hidden exits is difficult. You will have to read the room desc. carefully, think about it and then look at, twist, turn, pull, push (or who knows what!) things to get more info or open a door, activate something etc. 5. Not all items are just lying there (in fact few are) sometimes that shield on the wall can be aquired...

No need to join a guild initially although, well it does help. A lot. In general though joining a guild is not even recommended until you hit level 30. So if by that point you still don't want to join ah well.

GateWay is definitely a MUD where figuring it out by yourself is expected. OTOH the players are very friendly and love to help out. If you don't want any just say so. <grin>
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: There I was, there I was, there I was ...

Welcome out Lotherio! Good to have an experienced Roleplayer around. I invite you to play New Worlds Ateraan and while I normally never do this, challenge you to start in the southland where you will receive little or no help whatsoever and mostly will be downtrodden until you can prove yourself. This is a serious roleplay environment and can be discouraging for the faint at heart.

Otherwise, enjoy the forums and have fun with whatever you do!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Welcome!

More LP mud fans! Gotta love it.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Verbannon

Home MUD: Shadowgate
Verbannon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Verbannon

Welcome. And I honestly, can understand only about half your post. But I understood the part about you are looking for games with exploring. Shadowgate has a large world. I can't honestly say how large as the imms don't even know that, but even the players that have been exploring for decades will admit there is a lot left for even them to explore. Its just that huge. I cannot exaggerate its size, nor the complexity.

You see, in Shadowgate's hey dey it had dozens of builders working on it at once, because the imms used to teach anyone who wanted how to build and they would learn by building an area and most of these people liked to experiment with their areas. So its huge., its ginormous. You'll never, ever, ever run out of places to explore no matter how long you play.

Though now there are only around maybe half a dozen coders left.

And there are no guilds, (They were turned off because people didn't RP them right), its illegal to actually show someone new around an area they have to explore themselves, there is not much of an economy to figure out and except for flat bonuses, the exact properties of equipment are hidden from the players to promote choice based on RP.
Verbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Lotherio

Thanks all.

Giving a go at GateWay and New World Ateraan.

I think I tried GateWay around the same time as Midnight Sun, the slugs for the Shortbred seems overly familiar. I think I switched to the Nightmare LP Mud from these two because of the equipment save rules.

Also trying New World Ateraan from the immersive stand point, going blindly into it. I went south and became a slave to get the full experience, hope I didn't turn off too many people during the auction by not catering to 'in game' reasons on why I would be valuable but was still bought all the same so I don't have to be a palace servant. Its going well so far.

Thanks again all,
Richie
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Lotherio

Thanks, I'd say I don't know what it is, just love them.

But ... I think when I log in and the first thing I'm offered is another mud school, it doesn't quite suit me. Or guilds/classes/etc. are supposed to be hard to find but the newbie machine gives me maps to find it and such, I'm sort of put out. Not to hate on any of the Diku/Smaug/etc/etc derivatives, but I can read the room descriptions myself and like to look at everything in the desc.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

While not freeform, I think you should take a look at Armageddon. After all, if you look and don't like it no one will show up at your house and force you to play. Well, most days at least.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote