Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Muffinette

Muffinette is on a distinguished road
Wayward child seeking a MUD home

Hello. My name is Muffinette, and I have a mudding problem.

I first discovered MUDs several years ago. After playing many of the graphical online rpgs and not being satisfied with the roleplaying experience, I decided to try text-based games. The transistion proved difficult and for a time I went back to MMORPGs. Then, a year or so ago, having grown up some and become more experienced with computers (and having become more jaded with MMORPGs), I decided to try MUDing again.

Since then I've wandered from game to game, never being able to settle down and stick with one. I want to change that, to find my MUD home, so to speak.

Of the games I've tried, none were so bad that I won't consider trying them again if they're suggested. My favorite was New Worlds Ateraan; I had a lot of fun with that game (I had to leave it due to a spate of RL issues), but it felt really tedious to level up a non-combat character. I learned to dread fishing. Anyway, enough with that tangent.

I have a few preferences, not too demanding I hope:

-Theme doesn't matter

-When it comes to playerbase, the more the merrier in my eyes. I don't mind a small number; I just don't want to be the only one logging in at US peak hours

-RP is good, whether it's Enforced or Intensive

-I enjoy crafting systems and non-combat roles that feature them. If I do choose a combat role, I prefer to play spellcasters.

Thank you for your time; I hope to find my home MUD soon!
Muffinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: Wayward child seeking a MUD home

There are several ones that come to my mind, I don't want to make advertizement per se however.

I recommend you to have a look at the top 40 listing and try out these MUDs there.

There are not many RP intensive MUDs left, unfortunately.

It is sad because I miss the peak days of this kind of RP MUDing from around 1995 up to 2001.

Playerbase ... keeping them attracted is difficult.

I recommend that, if you think that you find a MUD in the top 40 that seems interesting, try to give
staff and the coders hints what you would like to see improved. Sometimes changes goes slowly,
but without feedback, coders often don't know what they should do in order to improve it.
(Playerbase can be fickle, sometimes players start to have grudges against other players,
which creates a big problem for a MUD, as often enough people get tired of those kind
of useless meta-conflicts).
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I'd like to suggest to you. It opened in 1996 and its longevity is due to its awesome community and (hopefully!) engaging gameplay. We were recently featured on as well.

The theme is high fantasy/medieval and our player base is good size. Daytime we are in the 60-80 range and 100+ at night. If we run a really big RP event sometimes 200+.

The RP in Threshold is really quite excellent. The entire game is designed around roleplay and the religion, clan, and guild systems are particularly huge aspects of that. New players are embraced for the new story opportunities they bring along with them.

Crafting in Threshold is not just a bolt-on system. The tradesmen guild is a totally separate guild/profession/class with jewlers, armorers, clothiers, etc. People who craft for a living can enjoy that as a fully featured profession that is as significant as traditional roles of fighter, mage, etc.

I hope Threshold RPG will be that new home! You can play it right in your browser here:

Or you can use your favorite mud client:

address: thresholdrpg.com
port: 23

Good luck finding your new mud home!
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

I have this half-baked theory that there are only maybe 50-200 serious mud roleplayers, and we all just move around a lot between muds.

New Worlds, which you've tried already, is really where it's at right now, with regard to a good sized, in character roleplaying crowd that doesn't get too artificial and gamey about things. If you've played there, you've probably seen the best current example of a RP-enforced (definitely not RPI, just enforced), nondescript fantasy genere mud. The mud engine is terribly simple. There's practically nothing unique to speak of, gameplay wise. Any feature you've seen there, you can find in another mud, done better. And the grind is very, very long and repetitive. But it's a remarkable collection of like minded players, all of them dedicated to sharing a good RP game together. It's like the whole RP crowd across muds just stood up and walked over to New Worlds one day, and that's where they're playing currently.

Threshold's a very similarly-styled LP mud. It actually predates New Worlds by quite a few years, though I never quite figured out the relationship between the two. I always sort of assumed a former disgruntled Threshold player decided to start his own mud "done better" and steal a bunch of the Threshold players away. Threshold is a great RP hangout, too, though it’s actually gotten a little bit feature heavy over the years, to the point where some of the playerbase can’t help being a little artificial and gamey. If I had to put the best rp experience I’ve ever had from New Worlds and the best from Threshold side by side and judge, I’d give New Worlds the roleplaying edge, just slightly, but Threshold is a far better developed game if you care the slightest bit about gameplay, coding, and building.

If you don’t mind a smaller rp crowd, I’ve had some good times on Cities of Mdhoria, but it can get old interacting with the same 5-10 people all the time if you play the same time each day during off-peak hours. I’m also not a huge fan of the Rom codebase. I used to love it but got too used to other ones. It also boats a very random-ish leveling system based on skill improvement rather than traditional experience points, so you might max your level in a day, or spend six months stuck at level 2, depending on the random skill advancements you get through use. It’s not that extreme, and some people love the system (it does tend to make more sense to become a better mage/cleric/thief by improving your skills, rather than killing 1000 bunnies or goblins or whatever).

Anyway, that’s just three I’m tossing out there. I’m a big fan of the RP-enforced, but not RPI type of game, that has a good mesh of gameplay features, too. I want to have stats, skills, spells, and have those things be important and useful, and be able to advance those things and build a strong character on my own when I’m not able or not in the mood to rp. I want to explore and make maps and find mobs and gear and develop strategies with unique character skills and items, too. So the hardcore RPIs people will eventually advise you to try when they respond to this thread aren’t my thing, but they’re still very respectable muds if that’s your thing. I also have a big problem stomaching “rp-lite” muds, by which I mean muds that are supposedly RP enforced, but come across more as loosely in character, gamey, not very immersive experiences, which is why I mostly stick with the established RPE muds. My time’s too limited to waste on bad games.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Muffinette

Muffinette is on a distinguished road

I've gotten some great suggestions, both from this thread and by PM! Now I have some great MUDs to check out. Thank you for your help, everyone!
Muffinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
nienne

nienne is on a distinguished road

You're welcome to come over and check us out on Shadowgate if you're still looking around... We're a DnD Forgotten Realms-based MUD (though a unique world), a very large world with a RP-intensive basis. We've been fairly quiet the last couple months, but picking up again lately. There's several spellcaster classes available, as well as a crafting system (which is soon to be expanded to cover magical crafting as well). Our website is at shadowgate.org if you want to browse, or firedragon.com:6969 to connect directly Would love to see you mudside!
nienne is offline   Reply With Quote