Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 05-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
This has probably been talked about before, and I'm sure it's not normally a very desirable request to have, but I'm getting tired of the exclusion of PK-oriented mud concepts forums, and a general air of dislike of pk-oriented muds on fairly well-known, respected web sites like this one, and TMC. People tend to ignore the "dark side" of the games out there, and I'd like to find a place where people who enjoy some decent pk/hack'n'slash can come to share ideas, thoughts, and insane amounts of flames.

I've been noticing that very few pkers come to the sites to talk about aforementioned thoughts, mainly because there isn't any place to put it. Pk is usually dismissed as something either only implemented by muds who can't control their players, or as a cultist "crazy people" group who have nothing to contribute to the advancement of code bases/muds concepts.

I want to change this. I've been playing PK muds almost exclusively for 5 years now, and I've seen some pretty cool things developed around the community, some of which has filtered back into RP muds, some of which has become buried over time, and could be a really nice addition to various code bases, should it become unearthed again.

Think you could throw a PK concepts forum in?

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
Synozeer

Synozeer is on a distinguished road
If there is demand for a PK forum, I'll gladly add one. I welcome any replies/comments about this from anyone.

-Synozeer
Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 11:37 PM   #3
Teelf

Teelf is on a distinguished road
There is definetly a demand for this!  I posted this same suggestion back in November and there was a number of people that responded positively.

Plus, I believe that once it is added it will draw more PK people to these boards enhancing discussions across the entire board.
Teelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
f451

Even though I am a poor pker myself, I would like to have a pk forum around for exchanging ideas and stuff on.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:57 PM   #5
visko

Old 05-14-2002, 12:16 AM   #6
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
yeah a pk fourm would be nice, good idea here.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:36 PM   #7
visko

Ok, it's been a month. Posting a reply to remind everyone about this thread, and renew my feelings. WE NEED A PK FORUM!

Pk transcends the regualr hack-n-slash stuff you see on all of the B-rated muds, and can actually progress into something more akin to highly developed combat systems, address issues such as eq/class/race balance, and even go back into the political and RP aspects of pking.

Archiving the threads of that kind of forum can end up giving new and old mud admins a cornucopia of knowledge and ideas from which to start out on a new project.

So...let's get one. If nobody else who has more experience than I do administrating a forum wants to head it up, I'd be grateful. I'm a bit of a newbie with this kind of stuff, and so I'd probably end up being less than helpful administrating anything.

Thanks for reading, happy mud development,
-Visko
Old 06-12-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I'm still not convinced that a PK forum would be worthwhile. The RP forum discusses social aspects which generally have little to do with the actual mechanics of the game, but PK is more about the physical features of the mud. Discussions about designing and balancing complex combat systems can go in the Advanced Mud Concepts forum. Questions about implementing those features can go in the Coders forum. So what would we use the PK forum for? Debating PK ethics and techniques is a possibility, but it will almost invariably end up with a group of individuals yelling "I could kick your butt any day" at each other.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #10
Chapel

Chapel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel Send a message via MSN to Chapel
Angry

Not sure I agree with the concept of a PK Forum.

I consider myself an avid PKer and I think the forum would start off well and simply turn into a ****ing contest very quickly. Who's done what when and where with whom suffering. While it will be fun at first, it will get very old very fast.

A lot of people forget that PK is an artform and if it doesn't leave the victim literally ****ed off for hours then it was an irrelevant attack.

Also attacks of 3-1 and higher are completely without honor and totally disrespects the nature of the conquest.

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
If it's not a pain to add I'd say add a pk forum. Is it necessary? probably not, but then again you could say that some of the boards here aren't really necessary.

I don't fully agree with Kavir's breakdown of putting specific parts in certain forums. Yes, the mechanics of a pk system and the intracacies behind one would work well in the advanced mud concepts, but a discussion about the mechanics isn't the same as the discussion of a good pk fight, or prepartations for one. You could throw those into Role Playing, but there you'd compete with the people who want to role play, not kill, which would cause tension.

A PK forum would probably have a bunch of the "I can kick your butt harder posts" but it could also have worthwhile discussions about pk. And, if it draws all the pkers there to trade insults about who is the better pkers, it keeps them out of other forums that may be mentioning pk in passing.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #12
Brody
Legend

Smile

Chapel,

Sounds like a good topic of discussion for such a forum. Before slamming the idea without giving it a chance, I say: Give it a chance. And I'm not a PKer. But I think their voices are as important as anyone else's.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:13 PM   #13
visko

A pk concepts forum, as I see it, is different from a pk forum in sthat instead of talking about who managed to kick who's ass, you're talking about the idea in general. I agree with Body entirely in his opinion that like-minded people need a place to commune. RPers can find forums around the internet in various places, but it's hard to find a good place to use as a sounding board for new pk concepts, such as new fighting systems and how to enforce honorable pk (whatever people think that is...)

Yes, the concept in its entirety could be broken down into a million concepts and distributed evenly over the existing forums. This is also probably true for any other "concepts" forum proposed, including the RP forum, for the simple reason that MUDs aren't just about singular, specific, solitary systems that never deal with each other. Everything you add intot a MUD has ramifications on the rest of the game, and the people who are able to see the larger picture as they work on the minutae are the ones who can develop truly decent MUDs.

All I'm asking is that we create a forum that deals with the big picture for pk MUDs. All too often, a mud comes up claiming to be total-pk with really cool new ideas, and they aren't completely unjustified. Whoever was coding/building the place had some imagination, and new things did get implemented. But because said admin was working on his own, with no one to talk to about the concepts, he forgot something or another and the whole thing goes to pot.

Let's give the forum a chance, put in some special rules for the forum to make sure that people don't start getting into specific-mud-related social quibbles, and try to get a decent amount of the avid pk-ers a home to live in for a while.

-Visko
Old 06-14-2002, 05:20 PM   #14
Brody
Legend

Smile

BTW, don't expect this to happen overnight - as I understand it, Synozeer is out of town for the next couple of weeks. So, if there's a delay in him responding one way or another, that's why.

Pk concepts forum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Forum Do You Use Fern MUD Administration 7 04-17-2006 08:38 PM
pk forum again Shao_Long Bugs and Suggestions 30 06-11-2003 09:17 AM
Old forum information darmir MUD and RPG Webmasters 1 02-27-2003 05:48 PM
New to the Forum SheWhoHasNoName Introduce Yourself 0 07-20-2002 03:55 PM
New forum suggestion Mish Bugs and Suggestions 2 06-25-2002 03:33 PM