Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-03-2003, 12:55 AM   #1
Whymsish

Whymsish is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hey folks.  I'm Whymsish, a designer (read: minion) for Dragon's Gate.  We'd really like to kick the playerbase up a notch since some exciting changes have been made to our game in order to provide a more interactive overall environment -- and we'd like to invite you to come have a visit.

Dragon’s Gate is a multi-faceted text-based roleplaying game that is set in a mystical era (somewhat akin to the Middle Ages), in a world where Dragons and other fantastic beings roam freely and interact on a daily basis.  With a myriad of races to choose from, you can take on the persona of an evil, magick-hating, spider-like Arachnian, or perhaps a helpful, empathic, fairy-like Secian.  With a selection of 8 classes (not including the several sub-classes for Clerics and Rune Mages) and 7 religions, the possibilities are numerous and endlessly diverse.

There are many different skills available for player-characters to learn.  A select number of skills are special, in that they are available only to those of a certain race or class, such as berserk attack, which is only available to barbarians, and biting, which is only available to Monitanians and Arachnians.

The world itself is very large, with nearly 15,000 rooms which have each been designed individually, to serve as an addition to roleplay through elaborate description.  There are 3 current major cities, each with its own population and culture:  At the heart, there is Spur, the major trade city, full of nobles as well as ne’erdowells.  To the East lies Treehaven, a town of peaceful woodspeople.  Further east is Emjedah, a city of magick, as well as a dark history of slave-trade.  There are other cities as well, such as the mountainous Rathan, and the distant island of Saldea, to name a couple.

GM and player-run events are in great abundance in Dragon’s Gate, ranging from traveling merchants to festivals, and bard recitals to tournaments of magick.  There is almost always something special going on, not to mention world-changing scenarios in which the player-characters are the main focus!

The one thing the players and staff at Dragon’s Gate take the most pride in is the continuous and ever-changing roleplay that affects and molds the very fiber of the realms’ history.  Through roleplay, each player-character has the ability to forever mark his or her place in the lore and legends of Dragon‘s Gate; as a hero, a villain, or something in between.  If you would like to be a part of this world, please take a look at as well as !

The Races of Dragon’s Gate
- Anthians: Proud, winged humanoids who dislike buildings and cities.
- Arachnians: Evil, chaotic spider-like creatures who detest magick and choose not to speak the common   language, though they understand it.
- Drag-als: Small, draconic looking creatures with a taste for ale and jokes.
- Dragons: A race that begins at a human-like stage, then has the potential to progress into fire-breathing        
Dragons of yore.
- Fir Elves: Elves of the forest who are most at home among the trees and close to nature.
- Usil Elves: Elves of extreme intelligence who spend their time pursuing knowledge.
- San Elves: Dark-skinned elves borne of Chaos, intent on gaining power and causing destruction.
- Flerians: Slightly furry, burrowing creatures with a peculiar sense of ownership - anything that isn’t nailed  down is rightfully theirs!
- Hithuals: Short, broad humanoids who are well-renowned for their mining skills and love of ale.
- Leuians: Battle-bred, cat-like people with sharp claws and a sense of honor unmatched by any.
- Frontacians: Pale, aristocratic beings with a deep, innate understanding of magick.
- Psycians: Calm, even-tempered, yet deeply emotional telepathic beings who despise the Frontacians.
- Secians: Small, magickal fairy-like creatures who feel the pain of sentient beings and strive to ease it.
- Humans: The jacks of all trades in Spur; average in any skill they choose to pursue.
- Penthanians: Tall beings with crystalline skin, who have lost most of their ability to feel emotions.
- Go-blin-als: Small, mischievous green creatures who like to cause trouble and generally be annoying.
- Monitanians: Fierce, lizard-like warriors who have an innate distrust of mammals.  They cannot speak the  common tongue, but can understand it.
- Thugians: Large, strong humanoids who make up for what they lack in brains with brawn.
- Oog-ras: Huge, strong, fur-covered beasts who are even stupider than Thugians.

The Classes of Dragon’s Gate
- Bards: The singers, songwriters, poets, actors, and instrument players of Dragon’s Gate who possess special bardic magick that can soothe the soul or harm the mind.
- Clerics: Clerics are the men and women who strive to carry out the will of their god or goddess.  They are broken down into three factions:
* Hand Clerics: The monk-like martial arts users of the temple who use meditative magick                            powered by their god or goddess.
* Heart Clerics: The healers of the temple who specialize in healing and defensive magick powered by their god or goddess.
* Sword Clerics: The paladin-like clerics who wield their weapon in the name of their god or goddess.
- Fighters: The warriors of Dragon’s Gate who specialize in weapons of all sorts.
- Foresters: The bow-wielding defenders of the forest who specialize in tracking and skinning, as well as special nature-driven magick.
- Rune Mages: The supreme magick users of Dragon’s Gate.  Rune Mages are broken down into 5 categories:
* Fire Mages: Mages that specialize in powerful offensive spells of flickering flames and molten lava.
* Water Mages: Mages that have a fair amount of defensive and offensive spells, using the elements of water and ice to their advantage.
* Air Mages: Mages that are often found soaring in the air with the aid of their mysterious windy magick.
* Earth Mages: Mages who specialize in powerful spells of defense, using the earth to their advantage.
* Non-Elemental Mages: Mages who do not specialize in any specific element, though their spells are fierce and powerful.
- Thieves: The rogues and vagabonds of Dragon’s Gate, specializing in the arts of pickpocketing, disguise, lock picking, and backstabbing, whether physically or metaphorically.
- Barbarians: Warriors who some call “uncivilized” as they tend to foam at the mouth and go berserk when physically harmed.
- Psions: The users of telepathy and other mysterious mind-powers.

The Gods and Goddesses of Dragon’s Gate
- Odarous: The god of chivalry and battle.
- Sa: The god of all things magickal.
- Set: The god of deceit, thieves and the poor.
- Taath: The god of ignorance, fear and pain.
- Unknown: The god of all things mysterious.
- Elindale: The Goddess of nature.
- Rinanni: The Goddess of love, peace, and knowledge.

[Edit: I can't seem to fix my silly topic. somehow that more fun got in there.]
Whymsish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
DgateColin

DgateColin is on a distinguished road
To further add to your gaming experience, installed this week: Cow Tipping version 1.0

Always wanted to have cow tipping be a part of your gaming experience? Now is your chance!!

Also installed this week, crop picking, where players can do work among the crop fields as a crop picker.

Just some little updates.
Colin J.
Lead GM
Dragon's Gate Staff
DgateColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:07 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Now that is a cool feature!

However I hope you've faithfully implemented the number 1 rule of cow tipping: You should first get so drunk that you only have a 50/50 chance of hitting the cow when you charge it.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I know a guy who tipped cows. I never lived close enough to cows to get to tip them when I was a kid. All the cow tippers seemed to live in St. Cloud or Kissimmee - home of the Silver Spurs Rodeo. And I can't blame them. There's not much else to do around there, except Disney World - and it's much cheaper and less likely to result in criminal charges if you push a cow over, as opposed to giving Mickey a shove.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:58 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I must admit I've never tipped a cow, but I know people who have. It's quite popular in some parts of the UK.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

Likely story.

I think more likely you are both veteran cow-tippers and now fear to face the stampeding wrath of the Cud Chew Crew. Own up to your offences, my friends, and spare yourselves the primal horror of waking up to their Avengers on the Hoof (AotH), as they roll you out of your bed (People Pushing, they call it) and milk themselves all over your prone, frightened self.

--matt
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #8
DgateColin

DgateColin is on a distinguished road
It's still quite popular in eastern Washington I'm told =)

Colin J.
Lead GM
Dragon's Gate Staff
DgateColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
So cowtipping is a sport in the UK?

Never heard of it, but I did hear of an Englishman who used to wrestle horses

His name is Harvey Smith, and he was – probably still is – a famous rider, who competed in show-jumping. He was very successful, in spite of the fact that he was uncommonly tall and heavy. And he used to wrestle with his horses, as a part of their physical training. He actually wrestled them to the ground, but I guess there must have been some trick to it, even for a man of his size and strength.

Apart from his skills as a rider and his somewhat unorthodox training methods, Harvey Smith was mostly famous for having said publicly and loudly that Princess Anne couldn’t ride. This was not only a bit rude, but also debatable, because even if the Princess’ riding skills didn’t quite match Mr Smith’s, she rode well enough to earn a place in the British equestrian Olympic team for Three day event.

And even though her royal status may have had some impact on her being chosen for this honour, I doubt that it was totally dependant on the fact that the team leader, or whoever appointed the team, wanted to kiss the royal ass.  She actually must have been a pretty good rider. True enough, she did seem to fall off her horse a lot, but then again, so did the rest of the team. It seems falling off your horse is an integrated part of this branch of equestrian sport..
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Lightbulb

You're one of them...aren't you!?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

You'll never get the whole Holstein from me.
--matt

more fun,Dragon's Gate - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dragon's Gate RP Log: DgateColin Advertising for Players 0 03-26-2004 11:18 PM
Dragon's Gate DGate_GM Advertising for Players 0 02-02-2004 12:47 AM
DRAGON'S GATE DGate_GM Advertising for Players 0 10-02-2003 04:48 AM
Dragon's Gate DGate_GM MUD Announcements 0 07-31-2003 01:35 PM
Dragon's Gate DGate_GM MUD Announcements 0 07-01-2003 04:42 PM