Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
bridgette

Name: Bridgette
Home MUD: http://www.freewebs.com/aarils/
bridgette is on a distinguished road
Mud Building Tools

Hi there

I was wondering about the features and properties of various mud building tools.

In the mud I am working at the moment I have added some nice in-game building features for creating all kinds of content while in the game. But obviously, when logged in through a telnet client, using many of these features result in a WHOLE lot of typing, and I know it isn't the best solution.

Something I want to do is to create a tool - a GUI that is able to connect to the mud on a special port, using a set of credentials and "publish" new content (or updated content) to the world while it is running.

Now I was wondering if there are any such tools available for other muds that I could have a look at. I am wondering what kinds of things builders like in tools like that, like how detailed these tools must be, should it allow scripting, etc.

The thing is, I am not a builder at all. I can code quite easily and add features and stuff to the mud, but I just don't know what would be a really good, interesting way to present a tool to builders that they would actually like to use for creating content.

Perhaps there are pitfalls to this approach too (I am sure of it) and I would like to know about these pitfalls too...

Anybody care to help me out or point me to another tool I could download or look at?

Perhaps I could even build the tool as a website and host it as part of the mud's web. This way, builders could log into the building site using their credentials and build from anywhere as long as they have access to internet...

Bridgette
bridgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
Re: Mud Building Tools

Check out CoffeeMUD.

The building in the engine is done through a web interface, which has some really nice functionality. It even has a visual map of the area being designed.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
bridgette

Wow very cool! Thank you!

Bridgette
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
bridgette

Darn! That coffee-mud library just made me realize how much work I have ahead of me. Now I just feel depressed.

It is really done pretty well though!

Bridgette