Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
FitzChivalry

FitzChivalry is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone

Well, here we are...

I'm FritzChivalry (or Ashley). I got the username from the Robin Hobb Farseer and Tawny Man triologies.

I've just got into MUD and am current playing Avalon on the introductory (i.e. free) trial.

Avalon seems good, but before I subscribe I would be grateful to know if there are better text-based MUDs out there that experienced players can point me in the direction of.
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Gesslar

Home MUD: ThresholdRPG
Gesslar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello everyone

I've never played Avalon, so I don't think I could quantify any opinion of mine against them. But you should take a look through the main list of mud sites and see if they have any of the qualities you're looking for. Threshold, where I dev, is a free to play (though there are perks that can be had for registering), and we are an in character, roleplay enforced MUD that has combat, questing, crafting, all those sorts of things. You're always welcome to stop by and see if you like it. Also, you shouldn't feel that you have to make decisions that lock you in to a game. Try them out, see if it has what you like. I'm sure most MUD admins will be more than happy for you to sample their game, and players of different games would enjoy seeing you as someone new to play with.

Take your time, enjoy yourself, no rush.
Gesslar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello FritzChivalry or Ashley if you prefer.

If you want serious roleplay with excellent Staff and Guides and an environment that will teach you the style and quality of roleplay you can expect. I would highly recommend coming to New Worlds Ateraan. Here are the main reasons:
If you want some good roleplay and great community Ashley, come on by and see what hundreds of others have seen and believe in.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about Avalon but personally, speaking as a gamer, I'm not a fan of subscribing to ANY online game at this point. I find that to be a very restrictive business model.

Have you tried any other MUDs?

What sort of things are you looking for besides RP?

Like Gesslar who posted above, I'm a developer (well, the founder) at .

Before I bore you with details about , I'd love to hear what sort of things you are looking for in a game. If Threshold doesn't fit the bill, maybe I can suggest something else.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

I'm going to take the slightly unpopular viewpoint among mud administrators and very hardcore mud gamers: No mud is worth money. Not ever. Not via a subscription, not for perks, not even as a donation. There is way too much to do over the internet, for completely free, that's just as much fun as any mud I've ever played.

Avalon's a respectable mud, but definitely not "one of the best," and definitely not worth money. Have fun until your free trial runs out, then play another mud instead. Or play something else online.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road

The first MUD I ever played was also the best game I've ever played in a lifetime of playing games.

If it had gone to pay-for-play in the middle of my experience, I would have gladly forked over what meager savings I had.

If it had started pay-to-play, I never would have gotten interested.

I am so pleased with my experiences that when it came time to join a group of like-minded players and begin the crazy adventure that was making a MUD of our own, I eagerly supported our unanimous decision to allow our MUD to be free for all. Our motto is "By the Players, For the Players", and it's a good one. I would have gladly paid at the other end of the tunnel, after all of the years of friends, enemies, good times and roleplaying, after being a part of something so special. I'm thankful I took that step, and if money had been a barrier, I would be a different person that who I am today. That's all.
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote