Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #81
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

I agree with this logic, except. The winner of the athletic shoe race gets a medal, you don't after winning the hobnail boot race because they beat you. You now have the scenario where I bot, I hit level 100 in 4 days and get a ton of eq, you don't bot, hit level 100 after 7 days you are now in my pkill range but equipped less than me because I spent the last 3 days getting eq. I then start pkilling you and looting you. At this point you 'are' competing with me and not simply alongside me.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #82
Fizban

And that to me sounds like the excuse of an administrator too insecure to admit that the reason their players find the need to bot could be due to a flaw with their game.

Once again, read above, though I'm sure it won't matter, when your players bot you'll keep telling yourself it has nothing to do with the fact that some part of your game is likely tedious and boring.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #83
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

This is all just "to much coffee, and not enough sleep" talk from me, but here is my opinion on that:

"Tedious and boring" are highly subjective. I may find combat interesting, while another person might consider it a "grind". You may enjoy doing a series of complex quests, while another person will have a friend do them and send him a script that does them with little to no inpuit from them but starting the script.

I have never played a telnet-client text-based game that could not be scripted/botted. Never.

To me it is a means of gaining something without spending the time doing it. I can understand on highly repetitive tasks setting up macros, or scripts. Pushing one button instead of typing things over and over is certainly easier, and less prone to typing errors. I have used scripts and triggers on games before, but never while afk. I have never botted, but have helped people script a few bots in the past.

We could say the game is flawed, or could look for players looking for gain with minimal effort. Both may have a partial impact. What is a game's "flaw"? Each individual would a different opinion on that issue, as would each designer. If a game gave a player everything they wanted without any time or effort botting would be a lot less of an issue, but those games would also likely be deserted.

For reward to have its fullest positive impact there must be risk, investment (time or otherwise) and/or means of measuring it against others.

Some play-systems in MUDs will take time. Some will be repetitive. Some will require speed. Some will require accuracy. As long as any of those conditions exist some players will use triggers, scripts and bots. Even proprietary clients would be hacked and the capability added, if enough players played the game. I have seen it.

The best that can be done (in my opinion) is to have a clear, public, consistent policy on these issues, and their use (or inability to use), for each individual game, and for the staff of these games to stand by the policies.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #84
Fizban

I agree. I wasn't intending to assert that if players can bot on your game then it is due to a flaw with your game. I was asserting that if players choose to bot that it may be due to a design flaw in your game. Any game can be botted, text-based or not, there has never been a single game created that can't be botted, some are just hard to make bots for than others, often-times to the point that making the bot would require more time and effort than playing the game the 'right way'.

Triggers, scripts, and bots - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on scripts thehulk Newbie Help 3 12-13-2005 04:46 PM
Running scripts in muds cloudymind Tavern of the Blue Hand 6 08-18-2003 06:19 AM