Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-10-2002, 06:50 PM   #1
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Talking

Listen, for all of you who seem to have forgotten, these boards are for discussing things to do with muds, not the color of your f'ing socks, or any of the other utter total f'ing garbage that is being posted. I could care less who has the whatever # post, or what stupid freaking poll is about what just to be on the most recent discussions list. Seriously stop ruining what at one time was a WONDERFUL forum for actual discussion about muds.

If you have such a need for a goddamn ego stroking, go pay for the code and host you own goddamn message boards on your own site and stop mucking up this one to the point where people don't even want to bother reading it anymore
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
I think the main problem is that the description of the Tavern is the 'place to post about anything.' :\ I agree, it's kind of lame... but as it stands it is allowed under the description given. I will probably talk to Synozeer soon about what kind of posts are allowed (for example if the socks thread which is knowingly a pointless thread should be allowed). Any other opinions?
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #3
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
i agree with terloch
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Validus

Validus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Validus Send a message via AIM to Validus
I certainly agree that as the level of meaningless posts (or at least posts that aren't mud realted) increases, my want and time to keep up with the forums decreases. I'm all about people having fun, but sometimes that "fun" is just the opposite for others who take these forums to be a place for discussion on a semi-specifc topic (muds). The fact that some people probably do it for the sake of increasing their post count just makes it worse, since no one really cares how many posts each other have. In any case, there's my [hopefully helpful] opinion.

--Validus
Validus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Seth

Seth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seth Send a message via MSN to Seth
I blame that fellow in Bugs and Suggestions who was complaining about a lack of threads involving socks! I am but a pawn in this game...
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:50 PM   #6
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
I strongly agree that tavern threads should not appear in the recently updated discussions box.  They push out the legitimate topics and very nearly eliminate any benefit most people get from the updated discussions box in the first place.  This will allow most people who wish to stick to the true mud discussion to do so and simply ignore the tavern.

Further, I think posts like the socks post should probably not be allowed.  Even though the tavern is a 'place to talk about everything', I think this should still be in the context of muds.  There are several threads that are, imo, good tavern threads.  I like the 'retaining players' thread a lot (could arguably be somewhere else), the what do you read thread (relevant because 90% of mud themes are pulled from sci-fi and fantasy literature), the thread about being an imm (though the quality of the poll itself is rather low, some good discussion) and a handful of others are borderline ok.  However, there are thousands of forums on the internet.  If you want to discuss the color of your socks, go find a sock forum, a fashion forum, or a 12 year old culturally stereotypical girl column (no offense intended to 12 year old girls).

Fixing the recent discussion box is the very *least* which needs to be done.  At least let us avoid this mindless babble.
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
i made a topic in bugs and sujestions fourm, instead they shoould create a spammers forum and keep that out of the rrecent box, this way it will make the spammmers happy and make the legeit people that come here happy, then everyone is happy.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #8
Validus

Well, I suppose that'd be ok at "the very *least*," but I'd still rather see some of the unnecessary threads gone since, like you said, there are some good threads that take place in the Tavern.

--Validus
Old 05-10-2002, 07:57 PM   #9
Sidmouth

I don't want the spammers to be happy.

Seriously, why should Synozeer spare the bandwidth for a forum which has -nothing- to do with his website?
Old 05-10-2002, 07:59 PM   #10
Validus

Absolutely, 100% agreed.

--Validus
Old 05-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #11
LikitaRenn

LikitaRenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LikitaRenn Send a message via AIM to LikitaRenn Send a message via MSN to LikitaRenn
Arrow

ok, so we can keep the tavern out of recent forum discussions, but i don't think it should be JUST mud-related topics. the random ones are, in my opinion, a fun way to get to know people who have the same interests as you, other than just muds. i mean, muds are fun and all, but people do other things, so why not find out what else people are into? if it was just serious discussions in here, i wouldn't have made the friends that i've made. there are really nice people in here, and serious discussions don't let you meet any of them!

-likita
LikitaRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:24 PM   #12
Shao_Long

Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
*nodnod @ likita* why cant it be just place of mudders ,here in tavern ?
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
Orion Elder

If you want to meet people, create a 'What do you like thread.' I'm all for getting to know one another, but isn't that what the Introductions forum is for?

I don't think removing the Tavern from the recent discussions box is a good idea. I think removing the pointless threads from the Tavern would be a better idea.

You can get to know people perfectly fine without having threads like 'what color socks are you wearing.' For example, the songs thread. That is a fairly ok topic in my opinion... it gives you an idea of the kind of music MUDders listen to, and what they like.

The socks thing, I feel, is absolutely pointless. As such, at the request of many others, it will be removed.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:37 PM   #14
Sidmouth

So you feel that knowing what color socks shaolong wears has really helped you to get to know him?  Shaolong was curious if other mudders had similar sock preferences?

Think about this for a couple of seconds.

Look, there used to be some great topics in here and not all of them were related to muds, but all of them were at least a little though provoking and most were likely to be relevant because of the subject matter.  The old 'what d&d class/race are you?' thread was very likely to get a good response because there are lots of roleplayers around here (far out!)  Discussing neverwinter nights will get you interesting respones too, cause we have a lot of gamers here (bizarre!) Books, roleplaying games, cool internet sites, fantasy movies, mud clients, and a hundred other things, many of which have very little to do with muds, could make interesting threads here.

But your sock color?  Threads started asking for flames (what do you have against me)?  Favorite fast food restaurant?  I don't have these conversations with my rl friends, and I certainly don't care to have them here.

What's worse, these threads are bombarded by spam, which clogs up the recent discussions, and in turn they start threads like this one, which are necessary but ideally would not exist.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #15
Seth

What I fail to comprehend is this thread. Sure, I can accept the socks thread being closed. I didn't give it a long life-expectancy anyways due to the silliness of it. But really, you people ought to tell me how it helps to get rid of a thread by making ANOTHER pointless thread, complaining about the first pointless thread. In effect, it started with one thread taking up the Recent Discussions thingy. Then it became two and now it's back to one again. So as I see it, it only got worse for a while.

Or am I wrong here?
Old 05-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #16
LikitaRenn

LikitaRenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LikitaRenn Send a message via AIM to LikitaRenn Send a message via MSN to LikitaRenn
Arrow

i think it's fun! so, leave it out of recent discussions, but don't delete everything! do you think peopel will want to deal with the forums if there's nothing on here but the serious discussions? i mean, not everyone should have to uptight jerks, like some people, who, since i'm in a fairly good mood, shall remain nameless. i think some of you should pull your head out off your ***.. maybe you'll find your sense of humor.

-likita
LikitaRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:49 PM   #17
Validus

I think you're likely just wrong in this case... While I cannot speak for anyone elses intent, I view the goal of this thread as discussing, constructivly, a way to deal with what some people feel may be a problem. Someone posted a complaint, and the forums moderator acted upon it by asking for the opinion(s) of other forum users.

--Validus
Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #18
Seth

I still don't get it why this thread should be any better the the socks thread, but I digress... Some things are just not for me to understand I suppose... :\
Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #19
Orion Elder

Actually, this thread has a very relevant point. It's to demonstrate the complete lack of tolerance people have for the threads that clutter things and don't provide anything of actual substance. I agree with it, and I expect some not to.

But, Sidmouth has brought up a few good points... one of which has piqued my curiosity, and as soon as I finish posting here I'll be starting a new thread for it...

Seriously, though. If you have a serious thread (such as the 'songs in your head' thread, the 'what class/race do you play' thread) have fun... but when you start a thread, please consider one thing before you do. "Why am I posting this thread? Do I really want to know? Or am I doing it just because I can?"

If it's the latter... don't post it. If it's the former, post away.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:00 PM   #20
Shao_Long

Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Yes,I really want to know a lot . You'll never will have to carry knowledge on yer back,so....
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote