Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Claudius

Home MUD: Nightfall
Claudius is on a distinguished road
Good morning, everyone

Hello,

this is not exactly my first post in the forum, nevertheless I didn’t find the time yet to introduce myself. My name is Claudius, which I also use it in MUDs, as it is often quite fitting.

I started playing Nightfall in 2005 together with a good friend and got through to level 50 within a few months. After some more months of idling, I joined the wizards of Nightfall. Originally more interested in the lore and history of Nightfall, I only coded a small castle and fixed a few bugs back then. During the following years, I tried to stay online as good as possible, as the server was down quite often :\.

When we regained stability in 2010, I was promoted to the rank of Archwizard, but found little joy in coding using the outdated tools available to wizards at the time (‘ed’ over telnet and some sort of web interface…while I highly appreciated the web interface and while ed is still a good editor, they just don’t beat Emacs ). However, using a local copy of the mudlib, I finished my first large area: the city of Talutah, which can be controlled either by orcs or elves, changing the appearance of the city. Of course, the ‘other’ party always wants to retake it, resulting in more-or-less sensible fights between NPCs…

Early in 2012, I became a Librarian and started to work on an API to the aforementioned web interface, which allowed me to write a FUSE client in turn, making coding much easier than before (as the mudlib now simply appears as a local directory tree). As a result thereof, coding speeds increased incredibly and not only was the new newbie introduction finished (by fellow forum member Yod), but there were also some changes to the core files of the mudlib, introducing new states and removing the need for legacy code.

Apart from Nightfall, I’ve spent some time in Tamedhon sometime around 2007 and recently stumbled into Ivalice. Sadly, there’s too little time for multiple MUDs

I am quite active on the German intermud2 channels and also read the German newsgroup de.alt.mud, although the latter is practically dead again.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Good morning, everyone

Guten Morgen herr Claudius.

Figured you must be a Deutcher if you were on german news groups. Your coding timeline is very interesting and quite noteworthy, nice work!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Claudius

Home MUD: Nightfall
Claudius is on a distinguished road
Re: Good morning, everyone

Thank you very much! Since Nightfall is based in Germany (although English-speaking), that’s not a real surprise, though
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote