Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Violette

Medieval cookery

Thought someone here might like this, a website of

I've been wanting to make barley water, after reading of it in Flaubert's Madame Bovary... seems to have been a popular non-alcoholic refreshment that was around even during medieval times. I made medieval pea soup with saffron using a book I once had... was the first time I used saffron... came out quite interesting, with a twist!

Anyone want to share anything?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: Medieval cookery

A lot of places strive for a relatively realistic feel to a Medieval MUD (even with added fantasy elements) and it works for a lot of places. Most designers get a few things very wrong, tho'- the biggest bugbear I have is with grog, funny enough. Grog is a mixture of rum and water- a measure of rum that is watered down to stretch out Naval rations. It is not, ever, a drink having to do with barley, oats or hops. It just isn't. There are only a few things that really catch my ire in RP games, and that's one of them. Why do people insist on implementing drinks and foods that are so wrong?

I would just so much rather see 'Imp Bread' or 'Elf Wine' than some attempt at a drink that existed in Medieval times, but which is so very different than described in the game. Medieval cookery wasn't nearly as basic or dull as most people think (as your excellent link shows!). I guess it's one of those ways in which a game could do much better. A little research goes a long way! I won't mention the games that claim to be 'Medieval fantasy' that include drinks like 'Tequila punch' and 'Screwdrivers'. That's just frackin' annoying.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Hey, that's a pretty awesome resource. I've put in some very generic foods for our crafting system pulling on cuisines from all over the world. A lot of the Southeast Asian foods are really nice because they're designed for travel and to withstand heat. It's pretty awesome to have this site on hand, though, for a more European feel.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Very nice Violette!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Aerick

Strange thing is...I remember buying a book a long time ago from that was a medieval cook book. The book as a whole was quite informative and I actually cooked a few of the dishes just to try them out.

Each chapter was devoted to a particular style of meat or vegetable. You'd get a history lesson as well as the recipes in the back of the book along with how a castle banquet would serve it.

I wonder if I can find the book again somewhere in space.....
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough

That is a really handy resource. Thanks for sharing it.

Here's something I used a lot when working on one part of Primordiax's cooking system. It may seem super detailed, but I actually found it pretty interesting as well:

Depending on how detailed you'd want your smithing to be, some might find this useful or interesting as well:

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Milawe

Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

If you find it again, please link it. I would love to have a copy as well.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote