Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 04-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
karlan

One idea I had relies on the concept of rebirth, same character, different body. When a player is killed, take some xp of them (and a level if that is required), make some minor changes to their stats, reset their known stats (who knows them, not who they know), remove any associations (clan, guild, whatever you want to call it) including warrants and such, then rename the character and put them back in the world.

This gives scope for a rp'er to maintain their mannerisms and allows others to "relearn" who they are (of course they could just tell, but that is only if you don't want to do any rp), they are a "new"ish person in the world, with similar physical characteristics and knowledge, but the world does not know them.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:49 AM   #3
GoatLady

GoatLady is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

GoatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:32 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I did something similar. Whenever a character earned an experience point, they would also earn a soul point. If they died, they would have to go through character generation again, but they would begin with a number of starting exp (to spend on training) based on a portion of their soul points - and as soul points never go down, each time you came back you would always be at least as strong as you had been in your previous life. Other stuff such as class, equipment, IC name, knowledge of other characters, etc, would all be stripped away, but at least players still felt they had an investment in the mud. It worked quite well, IMO, providing the main advantages of permadeath without the downsides.

In the new mud I'm working on, however, the characters are gods, so it's not really an issue - if they are killed, they simply reform back in their own plane of existence.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I never fancied perm death myself much, so we don't have that our mud. The thought of losing a char you may have put months of work into because of a bad link at the wrong moment... *shudder*

So in our mud dying just costs a lot of exp... and money... and possibly the stuff in your corpse, unless you manage to retrieve it.

However, with a theme like ours, the resurrection after dying can at least be handled in a reasonably logical way. Our theme is Time Travel, and the story is, that some enterprising entrepreneurs took control of the Time warps and set up a Travel Agency, to exploit... *cough*... I mean HELP the Time Tourists. So when you die, the Agency just revives you at an hour slightly prior to the moment you died. (For a hefty fee, of course, after all, these people have to show a profit to their share holders).

We even have a nifty feature called The Crypt of the Craven, where people from the Travel Agency offer to retrieve your corpse, should you die in a very dangerous and/or remote place, or if you're just downright lazy. Of course, they charge you an outrageous price for the services, but what do you expect? There are no free meals in the world...
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM   #6
karlan

Arrow

Old 04-07-2003, 05:17 AM   #7
enigma@zebedee

enigma@zebedee is on a distinguished road
enigma@zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:59 AM   #8
markizs

markizs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to markizs
Idea of karlan sounds quite cool. ofc thats for more rp muds. In zeb i dont want to lost 3 years old character :) i got lots of memories from it: geting kicked out of uni, then kicked out of job. all cos that addictivness :P
markizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

The above two statements are mutually exclusive.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 PM   #10
Aeneas

Aeneas is on a distinguished road
You are taking it out of context a bit, it is not also clear from that post if the damage is permanent.

Question to Enigma: can they somehow regain stats for sure, or its question of luck and if fail their gone for good? If it is luck based, then they can suffer permanent damage (just not death).
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:07 AM   #11
karlan

enigma:enigma:Perhaps I am misunderstanding but isn't the necromancer stuff similar to being reborn as I mentioned above? or does everyone go back to their original char eventually? If they are brought back as a wraith, what do they keep of their old char while in that form? It sounds like a complex, but very interesting setup.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:41 AM   #12
markizs

i will answer in place of enigma.

when u die in zebedee u become ghost and lose 1/3 of exp thats permanent. + when u pray to come back to life you lose 1 point form each stat too. if you are ressurected as a ghost u have a chance to keep stats. ofc you can get lost stats back by investing xp into them. necromancers turn into zombies or wraiths or liches after death and have to work their way to revive.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

The point is you still have to EARN that exp again - thus it is just as "permanent" as losing a character (which could also be rebuilt with exp), just not as severe.

The real advantage of permadeath IMO is the side-affects of the realism it introduces - if you assassinate the king, you don't have to worry about him reappearing naked a few minutes later and ordering your execution. Thus permadeath helps prevent stagnation - rulers can be overthrown, rebels can be executed, and loose ends can be tied up whenever necessary. The major disadvantage of permadeath, though, is that it destroys the hard work a player has put in.

But when you have a half-way house, you lose the benefits of true permadeath, while retaining the problems. Not only does the king come back - but he also comes back in a really bad mood, because he's just lost a "level".

This is why I went for the approach I used, whereby the character itself can be lost, while the time spent is not. The player is able to reconstruct a brand new character, and reallocate the points earned in previous games. So the king can be assassinated, and that character will never come back - but the player of the late king is able to create an equally powerful new character. They lose their status and social standing (which provides an incentive to stay alive) but don't lose any of the statistical development they've done.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #14
markizs

Yes, i understand your point Kavir, and its quite nice. Tho not maybe for our mud but i hope some new coder will use this approach instead of permadeath in his brand new mud :)

Character Death - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should a mud's "death" be planned from the start? Burr Advanced MUD Concepts 4 02-17-2005 08:21 PM
Death Traps karlan MUD Builders and Areas 22 05-11-2003 10:13 PM
Death Systems Crystal MUD Administration 9 03-05-2003 11:00 AM
Necromium: Where Death is a Way of Life Ignus Advertising for Players 0 02-10-2003 06:25 PM
Circle - Death Gate make errors Eagleon MUD Coding 11 04-20-2002 10:43 AM