Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Long-shot I know, but I'm always looking to find people in text MUDs at conferences. Is anyone else going to the one-day "Virtual Worlds - The Rules of Engagement" conference at Stanford tomorrow? Mail me at matt (-at-) ironrealms (-dot-) com if you happen to be, or just look for me there. I may end up on the panel on the Virtual World Value Chain.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Looked for you on the panelist list, but couldn't find you. Hope it goes well.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Sadly, the only times I even leave the house every week is to go to my weekly doctor's appointment at the hospital. *curses my health*

What all is being discussed at this forum?

Also couldn't help but think that "Virtual World Value Chain" sounds like the newest meal combo at McDonalds. *grin* OK, time for sleep apparently.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Ugh, that truly does suck. I curse your health too.

Unfortunately I won't be finding out. My allergies have decided that this week will be The Week Of Allergy Hell and after waking up sneezing this morning I decided not to inflict myself and my loud sneezing and sniffling and nose-blowing on other people.

The SDForum is sort of an event tagging along on the "Roadmap to the Metaverse" conference also happening at Stanford this weekend (). Given that most of the panels are moderated by VCs, it's largely going to be about monetizing virtual worlds.

The Virtual World Value Chain is basically about where and how much value lies with each portion of the 'value chain' in a virtual world. For instance, take something like Second Life. You've got the network infrastructure, the code/scripts defining the world, the interface with real-world money, and secondary companies like Electric Sheep using all the previous links in the value chain to create further value (they've done things like create an in-world bank in SL for Wells Fargo). So the question is where do you assign the value in that chain and where is the money to be made?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote

Virtual Worlds - The Rules of Engagement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reminder on voting rules. Lasher TMS Announcements and Feedback 0 05-29-2007 06:58 PM
Rules for / moderation of reviews Fishy Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 04-12-2006 01:21 PM
Concern about the New Voting Rules Lanthum Tavern of the Blue Hand 380 02-14-2006 03:03 AM
Virtual blood SolViLune Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 10-11-2003 05:53 AM
Implementing Virtual rooms/areas snowfruit MUD Coding 9 06-11-2002 10:23 AM