Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 06-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Heya all,

First of all I'm new here. So a bit about myself.
I'm a mudder since 1998 (fairly new). I've been programming since around 1992 and been working on designing (yes scary thing) a mud concept for the last couple of months. I also worked on my another test mud of mine (merc codebase) to do some minor things. I currently am an low level immortal on the mud I play on alot and hoping to become a coder there one day.

Well that for history lessons, here comes the idea:

What I'm currently thinking off doing is making a standard class layout (with a few classes like 4-8 or so), perhaps allow multiclassing so people can do the regular thing they were used to, xping, questing and everything else they were doing. But the interesting part would be in the profession, people could learn ONE profession which would give them something to do besides adventuring. And not only would it give them something to do, but it would also be necessary to take an active part in the community cause in a good working community people work together to accomplish things. An weaponsmith would need the raw ore that a miner dug up, and an armorer would need a hunter to fetch him skins so he can make leather out of it. Just some simple examples but you'll get the idea I guess.
The normal mud life would consist of building your community together and keeping up the resources everyone needed but that not everyone could get (food, clothes, weapons etc etc) and off course you would have to watch and protect your community so others won't steal everything you worked so hard for. To do this you might have an immortal/or leader of an community who could make alliances with other communities or declare war. This could be an interesting RTS aspect that you don't see in many games.

Well this is as much detail I really wanna give. I wonder what your ideas are about this idea

Greetings Dre
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Hail!

Not a bad idea, and I can see how it could be the basis for a good game.

My first question has to do with size. As a new game you cannot expect to have a large playerbase so how many different vital crafts can you have? If you want Cities to be able to go to War then I assume you intend to have more than one?

This means each City would have to have enough Crafters to handle all the vital jobs. This might be a bit limiting and certainly means you cannot have 20 of them for each City, at least not at first.

What you might do is to make a small number of skill groups, and let a player have a few of them at first. But they can only get really good at one. That way a basic 'weapons crafter' can handle all the weapons/armor needs if they are the only one. When the City grows, people can afford to specialize and take advantage of the greater skill.

I love player-run Cities, with everything that goes along. But I would STRONGLY advise against having any Immortal have any direct connection to any place. This only leads to conflicts of interest and problems aplenty. Any Staff member who is allowed to interact should do so with the whole game, and not have anything that would tend to cause them to play favorites.

Let players run the show, and make them live with the decisions they make. This is better for the drama of the game, and avoids ugly problems.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:19 AM   #3
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
What you might do is to make a small number of skill groups, and let a player have a few of them at first. But they can only get really good at one. That way a basic 'weapons crafter' can handle all the weapons/armor needs if they are the only one. When the City grows, people can afford to specialize and take advantage of the greater skill.
In my view only to set up such a community would be loads of fun, it would be like building a community like in settlers, but you would be a smart part of it. The problem that you won't have a playerbase has been thought of as well.
I was thinking of one community in the begin, and fill it up with NPC's. When a player logs on I'll display what profession are really needed in the community, this would later be taken over by the Mayor who could ask for specific professions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I love player-run Cities, with everything that goes along. But I would STRONGLY advise against having any Immortal have any direct connection to any place. This only leads to conflicts of interest and problems aplenty. Any Staff member who is allowed to interact should do so with the whole game, and not have anything that would tend to cause them to play favorites.
On the mud I currently play, we actually have Following Leading Immortals, who are staff at the same time. You just need to make pretty clear rules. Off course one could actually think of an immortal with more then one city and have his mayor's installed in them cities. Cities' could then also be "converted" and destroy the current temple of the deity to change it into another. That would make it even more interesting for the immortal to tend to his "followers" and his chosen leaders since they could start a rebellion.

Anyway thanks for the input, I already got more ideas to work with. Anymore input is welcome

Greetings Dre
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote

Community forming - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Community suggestions Davairus Bugs and Suggestions 11 06-20-2005 11:53 PM
Looking fer Community(long) Prufrock Advertising for Players 13 07-05-2004 01:45 PM
New Project Group Forming Alexander Tau Advertising for Staff 0 02-20-2003 11:37 AM
Greetings, MUD Community Almondine War Introduce Yourself 1 02-18-2003 07:37 PM
ooc community on RP muds? kleftis Tavern of the Blue Hand 3 08-01-2002 03:29 PM